Author Topic: Survivalists' ideas on Medical and Health ideas  (Read 15580 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Survivalists' ideas on Medical and Health ideas
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
Survivalist's Medicine Chest
Not a large book, just a small 70 page or so pamplet - sizes book. But has a lot of survival type medicine info, which includes vet
medicines for human use. Most of these are the same as human medicines, just packaged for vet use. - ICON

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0873642562/yourownworldusa

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survivalists' ideas on Medical and Health ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

errrv

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
Also, I have purchased a paramedic bag off amazon and restocked it with my own items. Medicines, antibiotics etc. I spent about $200 and can do quite a lot with the bag contents. I also still have my EMT manuals and medicinal herbs book.
Erv

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicilin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

errrv

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Enlightenme, I purchased the veterinarian kind. You can easily purchase ampicillin & amoxicillin 500mg $25 for 100 tablets. Look on eBay. I've been told you can purchase everything to include z-packs from Canada as well. Make sure you know what antibiotic to prescribe to what symptom though as they can have reverse effects. Also be advised, antibiotics usually give females yeast infections & uti's. Be prepared to treat those as well. I only use antibiotics when fever starts running high & can't be controlled by Tylenol/Morton mix.
Maybe we need a survival medicine thread so we can go over stuff like this and field surgery etc.
Erv

errrv

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:29 AM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicilin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

BINGO!
All your needs here:

http://www.easy.md/

Antibiotics, yeast infection, UTI, anti depressants, anti nausea , check with physicians desk reference to check for indicators, contra indications etc. Make sure you aren't allergic to something here before you order. If you aren't sure, keep 25mg tabs or IV administrable fluids on hand to counter act allergens.

Good luck,
Erv

noproblemo2

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
Great link Erv, Thanks  ;)

augonit

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »

BINGO!
All your needs here:

http://www.easy.md/

Antibiotics, yeast infection, UTI, anti depressants, anti nausea , check with physicians desk reference to check for indicators, contra indications etc. Make sure you aren't allergic to something here before you order. If you aren't sure, keep 25mg tabs or IV administrable fluids on hand to counter act allergens.

Good luck,
Erv
[/quote]

That's hilarious, keeping IV fluids on hand!  Like most people would be able to hook you up to something correctly and run it at an appropriate rate, even assuming they have the right equipment.  Just keep some Benadryl on hand.

noproblemo2

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
Benadryl does nothing to help rehydrate one, a good first aid or EMT handbook will be well worth the money, now is a good time to learn these things.

augonit

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
Of course it doesn't rehydrate.  It's in case you're having an allergic reaction.  Because nobody's going to be able to start an IV.  You can't get IV fluids to put in your prep boxes.  You can't get IV tubing or needles.  You could get by without a pump, but you'll have to know how to make sure you're using an appropriate drip rate.  So we'll have to work with what will be available to people now.  Benadryl for allergic reactions.  If you are dehydrated, you'll have to drink more.  Use Powerade or Gatorade if you need to, but forget about IVs.

errrv

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I've got (2) 500ml lacatae ringers + (2) saline in my first aid kit with tubing & 18 ga catheters. If you know about IVs, you'll know also that you don't need a needle to administer them. Just a tube to shove up the victims anus. Then squeeze the bag until all fluids have been inserted & absorbed by the colon. I have had to use this technique with Ranger students when the core body temp is above 107.0 F and the veins had collapsed. You can also use an enema in this capacity... Especially on small children. Not all the fluid will be absorbed if you use an enema because the input volume is too high.

When the benadryl is utilized in IV fluids, it acts immediately. I only use this it the patient is already hooked up with a drip going.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:53:42 AM by errrv »

chaunska

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicillin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

I posted this in another thread, but this is probably a better place.   Fish antibiotics are identical to human FDA approved antibiotics.  You can find them at vet supply places or on Amazon.  There is Fish-mox = amoxicillin 250mg,  Fish-mox Forte=amoxicillin 500mg,  Fish-flex=keflex, Fish-flex Forte= Keflex 500mg,    Fish-Zole=metronidazole 25mg,   Fish-pen=penicillin 250 mg,   Fish-pen Forte=penicillin 500mg,   Aquatic Doxycycline, Aquatic Ciprofloxacin, Aquatic ampicillin,  Aquadic sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (bactrim),  Aqua azithromycin (z-pack).

You can order as much as you want and they are cheaper than Rx.  However, please make sure you educate youself on antibiotic use and use only in life and death situations when the shtf.  Get a current PDR and current pill book.   Remember, that antibiotics can have bad side effects in a shelter situation.     Do not stock any of the doxy or tetracyclines....they become toxic over time.  Doctors don't even prescribe them very often unless they think you have spotted tick fever.   Different antibiotics treat different bacterial infections.   Don't use for ear aches, minor infections and colds....you can fight them off youself and if it's a virus, you are just wasting your meds.  Also, be sure to take a full course so you do not give the bacteria a chance to adapt to the antibiotic, even if you are feeling better.   Bacteria will encapsulate themselves for a time when they detect a threat.   You will be symptom free during this time.   They wait until they can no longer survive encapsulated and you better have antibiotic at full strength at that time to kill them. 

Shelf life is good for 8 to 15 yrs.  for  these with the exception of the cyclines.

chaunska

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »

That's hilarious, keeping IV fluids on hand!  Like most people would be able to hook you up to something correctly and run it at an appropriate rate, even assuming they have the right equipment.  Just keep some Benadryl on hand.
[/quote]

Benadryl will not help with severe allergic reactions.... you need to have adrenalin on hand for that.    If someone feels like they need to stock ringers, and saline they probably also know how to place an IV.   If they don't, it is not hard to learn.     Also, you can get tubing, needles, heplocks, etc. through amazon or vet supply places.   I have them in stock in case of injury or surgery.   This stuff isn't rocket science.    And BahaSuasan is absolutely right....now is the time for people to learn this stuff if they haven't already.   I am surprised that you feel like this skill is difficult to master.   You of all people, with your training you informed me of, should know how easy it is to place an IV in most people.   You can't get an unconscious person to drink fluids and an IV could save their life, especially for bloodloss and shock.   So anyone who is interested in emergency care gear, Amazon is your place...they have cervical collars, airways, tubing, cannula's, O2, splints, O2 masks, catheters, re breathers, ringers, saline, syringes, BP cuffs, sphygmomanometers, even defibrillator machines etc.  If you have the means, it would be good to have some of this stuff in your possession.   I am equipped like a hospital in my shelter.   And I know how to use the stuff.    Learn as much as you can. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:11:08 PM by chaunska »

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
Thx for the info Chaunska. Funny to think you can't get something like this on the web. I'll have to start stocking up. I would think when the SHTF, sooner or later you are going to need some type of antibiotics to live, or someone  you know..
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

errrv

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Along with the IVs another awesome thing to have is blood expander. Most fatalities in disasters are caused from blood loss (I'm thinking war disasters here :)). If you can stop the bleeding, you gotta replace those fluids with something that will replace or substitute the plasma. I need to pick up some as well.
Erv

Ps you can also drink the IV fluids to hydrate yourself if you can't get a needle in your own foot etc. Tastes horrible though!