Author Topic: Survivalists' ideas on Medical and Health ideas  (Read 15965 times)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Survivalists' ideas on Medical and Health ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicilin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

BINGO!
All your needs here:

http://www.easy.md/

Antibiotics, yeast infection, UTI, anti depressants, anti nausea , check with physicians desk reference to check for indicators, contra indications etc. Make sure you aren't allergic to something here before you order. If you aren't sure, keep 25mg tabs or IV administrable fluids on hand to counter act allergens.

Good luck,
Erv

Thanks Erv and Chaunska...Both great pieces of info and will take everybody's advice seriously.  I do know not to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but I sure can see it being a real problem not having any when you really need them...Thanks again everyone!

chaunska

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicillin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

Sorry I forgot to address this....Any of the"mycins" are good subs for Penicillin, including Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Augmenten, also fluoroquinolones (Cipro) & Lorabid.     Remember all the ones that end in "cillin" might also be ones you need to avoid if you are allergic to penicillin(ampicillin, amoxicillin, etc.)   Also, cephalasporins, are related to the "cillins", so  you might not be able to take those either.    You can do a scratch test to see how you will react.   This is done by scratching you skin with a sterile needle and rubbing an antibiotic, (or anything else you want to test) on to it.   Watch it a while...for 24 hours if possible to see if there is a reaction....ie. swelling, itching, welts, discoloration, fever, etc.    I am allergic to penicillin but I can take Cephlasporins.   So, it is different with everyone.    If in doubt, ask you doctor which antibiotics you and your family are NOT allergic to according to their charts.    A PDR will tell you which antibiotics to take for what illness,  the dosage needed and duration to take it.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:02:53 PM by chaunska »

errrv

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
Great advice Chaunska! The Zpaks (Azithro) are given out by the US army for a cure all at the infantry schools... 7 day cycle instead of 10.
:)
Erv

errrv

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
Augonit, once the good stuff runs out, we are back to square one. Everything we deal with is man-made or natural. If man made it, we can make it again. The process may resemble the process used in 1900, but believe it or not, you can make penicillin or anything else for that matter. You just either need the knowledge to do it, or reference manuals on how to do it. I'm not a mechanic, but I rebuilt an engine using a chiltons manual as reference. I put it back in my car, hooked it up, and it ran great!

Human ingenuity is limited only by your desire to do something, or the need to have something. On the car engine... It's the only way I had to get to work & I could not afford to have a mechanic do it. I learned to do it myself, right there, on the spot. It did, however, take a long weekend, and lots of yelling & throwing tools! :)

Erv

noproblemo2

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »
Augonit, once the good stuff runs out, we are back to square one. Everything we deal with is man-made or natural. If man made it, we can make it again. The process may resemble the process used in 1900, but believe it or not, you can make penicillin or anything else for that matter. You just either need the knowledge to do it, or reference manuals on how to do it. I'm not a mechanic, but I rebuilt an engine using a chiltons manual as reference. I put it back in my car, hooked it up, and it ran great!

Human ingenuity is limited only by your desire to do something, or the need to have something. On the car engine... It's the only way I had to get to work & I could not afford to have a mechanic do it. I learned to do it myself, right there, on the spot. It did, however, take a long weekend, and lots of yelling & throwing tools! :)

Erv
Very well put Erv  :) We must learn to do for ourselves again.

chaunska

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Augie, the point of having these things on hand and learning to use them are so we can get through the hardest part of this cleansing when disease will be most prevalent, injuries are most likely, and stress is at it's highest.   If you don't have some of this stuff stocked, it will reduce your chances of surviving.   If people don't know how to use them, maybe they will have someone in their shelter who does.   

Maybe instead of asking questions, you should offer solutions to the questions you are asking since you, obviously, think that we are too shortsighted to see this far ahead.  Tell us your knowledge on how to  "primativly" hydrate a person with out the use of intravenous fluids, cure a rattlesnake, brown recluse or blackwidow bite, heal cancer, remove a deep abscess, fix a dental cavity,  boil water without a pot, start a fire with sticks, cure ingested poisoning, make clothes, cure infections, perform a delivery, vaginal or Cesarean, amputate a limb, cure gangrene,  test blood sugar and treat diabetes, suture lacerations with out a packaged suture or sewing kit.   Can you identify the plants you need for cures and treatments in the wild, ones you didn't plant yourself?  Can you treat severe hypothyroidism?  Can you make a bow, arrows, bullets, black powder,  Can you shoot strait?   Can you process what you have killed know what all the parts are used for?  Can you preserve meat without refrigeration or a processed "cure"?  Can you tan a skin and make it usable?  Can you make a portable lodge?  Can you make cordage?  Can you ride or drive a horse?  Can you feed a newborn orphan which is not your own?   Now the big question is....have you done and practiced any of these things?   I have, but it doesn't mean that I don't stock up on as much modern stuff as I can get my hands on. 

My point is, that even though you probably have never done any of the primitive things above, it shouldn't stop you from learning about them, trying them, and attempting to do them in the future. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:41:42 PM by chaunska »

errrv

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Well Chaunska, you have opened up a whole can of worms with that one!!!!

Will you please give us some short classes on all of the above. I'm only versed in about 10% of all that & shaky at best! Share the wealth!
Erv

chaunska

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
Well Chaunska, you have opened up a whole can of worms with that one!!!!

Will you please give us some short classes on all of the above. I'm only versed in about 10% of all that & shaky at best! Share the wealth!
Erv

Should I open a new thread on that?    It could take a while.   But I will be happy too.
Here's the quick version....

#1 hydration...much like you described earlier...an enema made with an animal bladder or stomach, much like the old time water bladders with the cork in the end.

#2 Rattlesnake, brown recluse, black widow cure....Make a poultice with indian carrot (regular carrots work too), purple cone flower root, plantain, and yarrow.   Pound it up good and put it on the bite.   It will draw out and neutralize the poison.   Add supportive treatment, willow bark for fever.

#Skin cancer, poultice of bloodroot and indian carrot

#4Deep abscess  same poultice as  poisonous bites.  When it surfaces, lance it an drain it,  leave wound open to the air.   keep cleaned out.

#5 fix cavities..ream them out with a what ever you can to clean out all grey.  Wash out thoroughly,  with yarrow decotion...pack with clean chalk or calcium....repeat until the cavity is healed.

#6  boil water...put water into bladder.   heat up clean rocks, put them in the water when hot.

#7 Fire  One hard long round hardwood stick, one block of softwood  with a hole on the side of it.   Make loose bow,  and get a hollowed out rock.   Hold the top of the hardwood stick with the hollowed stone on top for you hand, twist the loose bow around the hard wood stick half way down, put the botton of the hardwood stick into the hole in the softwood block with nest and tinder all around and start drilling fast until you see smoke.   pick up your nest and blow on it until you have flame....tinder and kindling come next...all should be right there already to go.

#8 ingested poisoning...make activated charcoal put in in water and drink.

#9 make clothes,,,every one learned this in home ec

#10 delivery....well, mom does most of the work if no complications. C-section-  First prepare everything needed....sutures, rags, fire, boiled water, one hot, one cool,  then..knock out mom   cut horizontally, bikini area into first layer of fat until you see muscle...have some one on hand to cauterize bleeders with red hot piece of metal.  cut vertically  between muscles if possibles on next muscle.   once through all muscles cutting along the grains as much as possible, cut the uterus in the way you can get to it best....others will have to help hold open the muscles. 
Once through the uterus, tear the sack if you have managed not to cut it.   Find baby and try to pull out head first, finger in mouth against hard pallet for "traction"....baby will have a tight squeeze....you will really need to pull, gently but firmly.    Tie off cord in 2 places at 1inch and 2 inches from naval, milk blood toward mom and cut with boiled knife.  Someone else takes and cleans off baby with cool boiled water, suck out any myconium, rub in greesy white stuff.   If placenta starts to pull off of sides of uterus, pull out.   If not, start suturing up mom starting with uterus...use boiled cat gut or any other kind of boiled dried gut.   next, sew muscles back to gether...cut them a little so they start bleeding  first so they will knit.   then sew up skin and go through the fat too...again, cut skin and muscle at this point until they bleed so they will knit.   Massage moms tummy until all placenta and sack is delivered.   Give decotions of blue kohosh to stimulate contractions.   

#11 amputation...before cutting, tourniquet tightly.   pull muscle toward patient, away from where you are cutting the bone or disarticulation a joint.   After getting when the limb is off, reach up with a hook and grab as many vessels as you can and tie off with cat gut.   then stretch skin and tissue around them and suture.

#12Gangrene  open the wound and up in several places to allow o2 in.  Debrid as much dead tissue as possible.    if it isn't too deep and there is circulation, there's a chance...Watch...if it continues to spread, amputation in needed.  Peroxide on hand for this will make chances better.

#13  test sugar...ants...if ants come to urine, it has sugar.   Pumpkin extract to start pancreas up again. 

#14 Sutures. Boiled horse hair, or cat gut.

#15 Hypothyroid treatment.  Save thyroids from animal,  deer, cow, pig are best.   Slice thin and Dry thyroid out.   pound into a powder.   prepare units of small measured amounts.  Start out very small, 1/4 grain if you have a very small pharmacy scale.   Increase 1/4 of a grain  at a time every 5 days until pt becomes hyper, then drop back a !/4 grain to maintenance dose.

#16  Meat,  slice thin strips, place in sun over smoke until dried out.

#17 New born baby.   Nurse the baby ALOT.  Bond with and love the baby, he or she is yours to care for, your child.  Supplement the baby with bland foods and water that you chew up to watery mush and slowly spit it tiny amounts into the babies mouth...always have the baby at the breast trying to nurse.   Within a few hours to days, you will produce milk.   Men will too.  It is all in the bonding process and love that issues the body to produce the correct hormones for lactation.   Primates still do this.

The rest of these thing have to be demonstrated more thoroughly...I will address them if you want me too, but they will need time to explain.   

Feel free to ask detailed question...I will try to get to them the best I can....Research on your own may be more efficient. 

[/color]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:52:31 PM by chaunska »

errrv

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 01:57:57 PM »
AWESOME!!!!
Thanks Chaunska. I am taking copious notes!
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
To address the IV stuff, because I really only skimmed some of the responses.  I do think starting an IV is hard to master for people with little training and no real experience.  Just because you took a two day course on first aid doesn't mean you'll be able to do this in a real emergency.  And yes, perhaps today, right now, you may order some supplies, but how many months until they expire 6, 3?  I wouldn't order any of that stuff online.  I wouldn't trust how accurate it really is.  And then the thing I try and try to get people to think of is let's say it's ten months into "the aftertime" and you've gone through all your IV stuff, they've expired, whatever, anyway you have nothing.  Then how do you expect to do all your fancy IV techniques?  I don't want, or expect replies to this.  I'm trying to get people to think of what they would do when they can't go to the store or order online for all categories of survival, not just this one.  The answer everyone would come up with is "I have my supplies".  great.  But my question is again, how will you handle a situation after your supplies are gone?  For some reason I feel people think they will never run out of supplies or we will be fairly back to normal and they can get more.

Hello Augie  :) All I can say is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness and that is what we all are trying to do here. I understand your concerns, including the expired drugs or the fact someone might not be able to give a shot or stitch up a wound. We should cross those bridges when the time comes, meanwhile we still get the supplies...
All we can do is post up our good ideas, such as Chauska has done, and all try to learn from one another here. Then we make whatever preparations we can.
Even if it is one bottle of penicillin it could save a close relative or friend's life. Even saying one person's life even temporarily who knows what a good effect that could create?  Suppose we save the life of one man who is totally schooled in weaponry, security and all manner of survival techniques. That is money well spent in the over all survival chances of that group.
Perhaps it is dehydration medicine for the few children in the group, and we manage to save them...
Well I know you already know this, just sharing some thoughts,  :)
Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
Does anyone know how to obtain a stock of antibiotics? Also, one problem we have in my family is an allergy to penicillin.  Dr.'s have become very strict about prescribing antibiotics around here, and I would really like to be able to put some away.  Does anyone know of a website?

Sorry I forgot to address this....Any of the"mycins" are good subs for Penicillin, including Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Augmenten, also fluoroquinolones (Cipro) & Lorabid.     Remember all the ones that end in "cillin" might also be ones you need to avoid if you are allergic to penicillin(ampicillin, amoxicillin, etc.)   Also, cephalasporins, are related to the "cillins", so  you might not be able to take those either.    You can do a scratch test to see how you will react.   This is done by scratching you skin with a sterile needle and rubbing an antibiotic, (or anything else you want to test) on to it.   Watch it a while...for 24 hours if possible to see if there is a reaction....ie. swelling, itching, welts, discoloration, fever, etc.    I am allergic to penicillin but I can take Cephlasporins.   So, it is different with everyone.    If in doubt, ask you doctor which antibiotics you and your family are NOT allergic to according to their charts.    A PDR will tell you which antibiotics to take for what illness,  the dosage needed and duration to take it.   

Thanks again for this and your most recent informative post - Great information. From experience and raising the kids, I did know to stay away from all the 'cillins", I'm going to stock up on the azithromyacin (Z pack) for us allergy problematic ones and just some general generics for the rest from that website.

I'm also getting a First Aid Book and a newer PDR if possibble (mine is so outdated).  I'm also praying there's still enough time for all this stuff, I still have a ways to go before I will feel that I am truly well stocked and somewhat prepared.  I just wish I had half the knowledge that you and Erv have, then I wouldn't be feeling quite so inadequate and nervous right now.  Let's hope and pray all stays calm atleast awhile longer yet. What a comfort and blessing it would be to have someone like you and Erv around once the SHTF (or atleast a way to still communicate with you guys/everybody here when that time comes)  As always, thanks again everybody....

errrv

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Thanks enlightenme. I only truly know the trauma side of things. I went to the EMT course, Paramedic Course, ranger first responder course, tactical casualty care course. Nowhere in any of those do you treat basic sickness. I'm really trying to absorb as much of that as I can right now. I know combat surgery too, but the surgery I know is supposed to be fixed up at a later time by a real surgeon. Right now my priority is to find out how to do "lasting" field medicine. Not just quick fixer uppers!
Erv

Please excuse it Erv I meant to hit the quote button and instead hit modify and posted in your post. Look farther on for my post to ya.
YB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:22:33 AM by Yowbarb »

chaunska

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
okay, I know this isn't truly "medicine", but  I talked earlier about making cordage, and cordage is a good thing to have, even in your medicine stock.  Some of the best cordage can be made from human hair.   Human hair is stronger that steel.   I don't have any videos made of me doing this, but if you google "making cordage"  you see basically do just substitute hair for the plant fibers.    Humans loose 50 to 80 hairs every day.   Brush your hair often to collect it.   Save it, pull out like carding wool and start the process of twisting.  Very short hair won't work very well, but if it is 8 inches or longer, you can make good strong cordage.   Shorter hair won't be as strong, but you can use it for things that don't require a lot of strength.  I have very long hair, so it is very strong and making it a little faster.   So here are some pictures of my hair made into corgage.  The stick is 48" long and that length took two brush fulls or hair.

noproblemo2

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »
GREAT info to know, Thank You

errrv

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Chaunska, the girl in the green 4H shirt looks just like my oldest daughter!
Erv