Author Topic: Misc. Items  (Read 5910 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Misc. Items
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »
Ended up getting Felco products from Pruner Warehouse, both the diamond-coated canoe-shaped coarse grit whetstone and companion stone that does medium and fine. Both for under $40 with free shipping.

Both look good but I'm fairly ignorant of sharpening stones, so even having one (for me) is better than none.  You can switch back and forth if needed.  I keep my stone wet while scything and sharpen every few minutes.  The thing I really need to do (am overdue) is peen the grass scythe.  Probably doesn't take long, but needs to help keep blade from deteriorating after nicks, etc.

The diamond-coating will probably help your stones outlive all the others.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
It's good to know to keep it wet and to sharpen the blade every few minutes - I didn't know that.  I've only used the scythe once, just to try it out, and found that it got dull pretty quickly, but I was cutting grass over the drainage field in the back that hadn't been cut all season :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
It's good to know to keep it wet and to sharpen the blade every few minutes - I didn't know that.  I've only used the scythe once, just to try it out, and found that it got dull pretty quickly, but I was cutting grass over the drainage field in the back that hadn't been cut all season :)
In one youtube video on how to scythe, this guy carried his stone in a holder attached to his belt or belt buckle.  But he appeared to be quite tall, and didn't appear to bend over much, but if I tried that, the water would slop out early on.  I just carry the stone in a water-filled holder and hang it on something nearby.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip Ilinda - I'll try that out and report back!