Author Topic: What do you Dehydrate???  (Read 4746 times)

noproblemo2

What do you Dehydrate???
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »
Have been having fun with my dehydrator this year, have done tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, jerky treats for the dogs, bread crumbs. Who has more ideas ???

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: What do you Dehydrate???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »
I make trail mixes and bars, flax crackers, banana chips, tomatoes, bell peppers (and stored them in canning jars), some strawberries, corn, kale chips. Thats all I can think of for now, which reminds me, I do need to make some more crackers and trail mix, handy snacks to have around and oh yes I have made a lot of beef jerky, but end up eating it all.

Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

noproblemo2

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Forgot the green beans, carrots and spinach.

augonit

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »
I've only done herbs in my car, but will work with fruits and veges next year, (still using my car).

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »
Susan I am glad U started this Topic here.
Linda also had some great posts on dehydrating, not sure where they are..
 8) Yowbarb

noproblemo2

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
Running mine 24/7 now, today is garlic, bell peppers and green beans, tomorrow more carrots.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Running mine 24/7 now, today is garlic, bell peppers and green beans, tomorrow more carrots.

Susan, that is really excellent,

Yowbarb

noproblemo2

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
I also have the Ronco, 5 tier revolving trays, works fine for me especially now that I'll be learning canning this year....  :P ;D  I store in air tight containers w/ absorbers also.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
I also have the Ronco, 5 tier revolving trays, works fine for me especially now that I'll be learning canning this year....  :P ;D  I store in air tight containers w/ absorbers also.

I took a large plastic flower pot, drilled some holes and used cabob skewers and put overhead light grids on them to make several more layers. Plopped it on top of the Ronco and put the lid on top of the whole mess.  Added a computer cooling fan to speed the process up some.

Ingenious.  :)

augonit

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
I just use my car.  It works fine, and your car smells good.

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
when you asked how we store the dehydrated food.  I am all about the food saver.  Dry it and vacuum seal it.
Makes it easier for storage also.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
Just made a bunch of beef jerky again, I will try to keep it longer this time. ;D

Barb, I lost track of the post on dehydrating too, not sure what they were posted under. I can't wait for the fresh produce to show up at the farm markets, I plan on doing a lot of canning and dehydrating this year. I used up most of mine from last summer, so I will do a lot more jars this year, I still have some tomato sauce left though.

I always forget how much work it is until I get started at it again. It can be very exhausting ???, but also very rewarding.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
Just made a bunch of beef jerky again, I will try to keep it longer this time. ;D

Barb, I lost track of the post on dehydrating too, not sure what they were posted under. I can't wait for the fresh produce to show up at the farm markets, I plan on doing a lot of canning and dehydrating this year. I used up most of mine from last summer, so I will do a lot more jars this year, I still have some tomato sauce left though.

I always forget how much work it is until I get started at it again. It can be very exhausting ???, but also very rewarding.

That's great you and Susan are doing all that food prepping.  :)
The produce from the local farms is so good...
We may never find that other dehydrating Topic but this one will be fine.  :)

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
Every time I do beef jerky, it all seems to be stolen by leprechauns.  And the kids breath smells suspiciously like steak.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P