Author Topic: Easy inexpensive ways to get stronger  (Read 27027 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Easy inexpensive ways to get stronger
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
Here's something I learned by accident recently.

I've heard off and on that people who need more energy and strength should take whey protein powder.  Well, I don't like supplements, and would rather get my nutrients from food if possible.   On a related note, I save the whey from cheesemaking, and then add it here and there in rice dishes, casseroles, etc., but usually never try to convert it into powder, as whey contains salts, proteins, and other nutrients, all nourishing.

The other day for some reason I decided to drink an entire glass of whey from a yogurt cheese making session, and I was astonished at how much energy I had the rest of the day!  No kidding!  I had several "fence post projects" to do that day, and I was walking around carrying the "fence-post-pounder" in one hand, and a steel fence post or two in the other hand like it was nothing.  I felt like the "Strong Man in the Circus" that day.  It was almost funny.  In fact, it was.

My true story, and I think there is definitely some truth to the fact that whey can help a person be or feel stronger.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
Wow, ilinda!!
I've never tried it. I mean not in the natural state. What a great thing!
Decades ago, an old German naturopath told me to eat whey. I wasn't that impressed. Whey is added to stuff... He probably meant get the real stuff...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
BTW, was that goat milk cheese, whey?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  Yes,  it was from raw, organic goat milk.  I'm about to partake again today after having made cottage cheese last night/this morning.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
Fascinating to ponder chlorophyll in the chloroplasts floating through our bodies!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  Yes,  it was from raw, organic goat milk.  I'm about to partake again today after having made cottage cheese last night/this morning.

That probably really makes you strong! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2017, 01:22:33 AM »
Fascinating to ponder chlorophyll in the chloroplasts floating through our bodies!

This is great info to learn,
Thank you!

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: whey protein powder
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »
I've heard off and on that people who need more energy and strength should take whey protein powder.  Well, I don't like supplements, and would rather get my nutrients from food if possible.   On a related note, I save the whey from cheesemaking, and then add it here and there in rice dishes, casseroles, etc., but usually never try to convert it into powder, as whey contains salts, proteins, and other nutrients, all nourishing.

The other day for some reason I decided to drink an entire glass of whey from a yogurt cheese making session, and I was astonished at how much energy I had the rest of the day!  No kidding!  I had several "fence post projects" to do that day, and I was walking around carrying the "fence-post-pounder" in one hand, and a steel fence post or two in the other hand like it was nothing.  I felt like the "Strong Man in the Circus" that day.
One World Whey is a whey protein powder that has been devised and produced with true knowledge of the power of whey in mind. Not only has the whey been dried at low temperature so the amino acids, bacteria and enzymes aren't destroyed (by high temperatures) but the cows producing the milk are munching on growing grass; why should you care?
Well, Weston Price's research shows that milk and butter that comes from cows that have grazed on grass in it's growing phase has special attributes that offer amazing results. And the people at One World Whey have taken such research into account and used it in formulating their whey.

I myself have experienced a significant increase in strength and energy since i started using One World Whey. I mean, i've been trying out all kinds of things and i'm not 100% sure that my significant increase in energy comes from using One World Whey, but i'm pretty sure it's (at least) part of that.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: whey protein powder
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »

The other day for some reason I decided to drink an entire glass of whey from a yogurt cheese making session, and I was astonished at how much energy I had the rest of the day!  No kidding!  I had several "fence post projects" to do that day, and I was walking around carrying the "fence-post-pounder" in one hand, and a steel fence post or two in the other hand like it was nothing.  I felt like the "Strong Man in the Circus" that day.
One World Whey is a whey protein powder that has been devised and produced with true knowledge of the power of whey in mind. Not only has the whey been dried at low temperature so the amino acids, bacteria and enzymes aren't destroyed (by high temperatures) but the cows producing the milk are munching on growing grass; why should you care?
Well, Weston Price's research shows that milk and butter that comes from cows that have grazed on grass in it's growing phase has special attributes that offer amazing results. And the people at One World Whey have taken such research into account and used it in formulating their whey.

I myself have experienced a significant increase in strength and energy since i started using One World Whey. I mean, i've been trying out all kinds of things and i'm not 100% sure that my significant increase in energy comes from using One World Whey, but i'm pretty sure it's (at least) part of that.
Your energy levels might well be due to the One World Whey.

The whey I use is still liquid, and freshly drained from the cheese making process, made from milk that is raw and 100% grassfed.   I have dried my own whey several times, but it is not "whey protein" only, as it is everything in whey except the water that slowly evaporates during the very-long drying process.  It takes forever, so I'll continue to drink the liquid whey.

But for those who do not or cannot make their own yogurt, whey powder does seem reasonable.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
ilinda had mentioned bone broth too, awhile back...
It turns out it has many healing properties... beef or chicken bones...
I posted an article from Dr. Axe about bone broth, here:   
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1195.msg96430#msg96430

SURVIVAL HEALTH//Survival recipes of the World//Child board Meals That Heal

Old style chicken soup has beneficial nutrient cysteine
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »

https://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/  article

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »
On the rare occasion that we eat chicken, I gnaw on the ends of the bones, even stealing bones from hubby's plate.  It's amazing how soft the one end of each bone seems, while the other seems too hard for our teeth. 

You can slowly gnaw and gnaw and get not only that softer part, presumably part of the joint, but the longer you work over the bone, the more marrow you can get.  Now, doesn't that sound like some cave-person talk?  LOL

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
On the rare occasion that we eat chicken, I gnaw on the ends of the bones, even stealing bones from hubby's plate.  It's amazing how soft the one end of each bone seems, while the other seems too hard for our teeth. 

You can slowly gnaw and gnaw and get not only that softer part, presumably part of the joint, but the longer you work over the bone, the more marrow you can get.  Now, doesn't that sound like some cave-person talk?  LOL

:)
As a child I instinctively grawed on the ends of chicken bones...
I remember once, I was about six, Mother told me, that's good for you, go ahead and eat that.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Note from Yowbarb: I feel like sharing a simple thought. This applies for anyone who is overwhelmed at how to get healthier, or feeling lost in the information...
There are a lot of things to do, some expensive, many not.

I have to tell myself this sometimes, actually a lot of the time:
Do what you can, what you already know works. It may not cost a thing, do that, now.

Some examples of things that cost nothing or not much:

Weather permitting, soak in the warm sun for a few min at least.
If you are able to look outward to a point far away, horizon, top of tall tree, distant building, do it.
Feel your palm with your hand, If you notice tender pressure points, gently rub there for a few minutes.
Do the same on the other hand.
Point and flex your feet several times, before going to bed and point and flex your feet, upon arising.

If you do have to get off your feet throughout the day (injuries, arthritis, or just plain need a break between heavy things you do, then point and flex then too.
Try to actually rock in your rocking chair. This flexes a little "second heart" of circulation in your lower legs, calves...

During the day, step outside and look at the sky.  If in an office building at least look out the window…
Have had a habit of doing that my entire life, taking a look at the sky. In my early thirties read that was part of the Native American lifestyle to look at the sky. (I don't have a reference on it.)

Shortly before sunset try to look briefly into the setting sun, unless it is overwhelmingly bright.

Shut off the TV, internet for an hour or more, before sleep.
Unplug the wireless phone, the tevo and shut off the router for the internet before sleep.
YES it makes a difference!
If possible, and no texted emergencies going on, or cats needing to be let back in, cows out of the barn, whatever:  Putter around in your boudoir for awhile, as if you were a "person of leisure."
If possible to get a warm bath, chamomile etc. do it.

Warm up your muscles in the AM before you go sprinting off on your chores…that can save on discomfort later. Not always possible, but try.
Try get some kinds fruit and veg daily. Even if lazy about fruit and veg prep, or have trouble chewing raw stuff, at least eat an applesauce. Something is better than nothing.

Try avoid too much sugar.
If your body will do it, exercise in place in living rm about 12 minutes.
Even if that is all the actual aerobics you do, that will cause your calories to be burned up at a
higher rate for the entire day.
If overweight is a problem weigh yourself in the AM. That gives you some feedback.
Unless grapefruit interferes with prescription meds, have some organic grapefruit regularly...

If you are surprised to find you ate all you wanted and still dropped a little weight: Then think back, what did you do that was different?
I was surprised to find that butter and coconut oil in the AM frothed up with strong coffee, and lots of it, gave me such an apparently antioxidant and nourishing boost I kept away from carbs for hours and gradually, painlessly dropped weight.
Not only that, I could allow some complex and also refined treats later in the day with out a
sugar crash or weight gain.

NOTE: Plenty people cannot handle any refined carbs or are already off of them.
Not advocating anyone change that.

Keep hydrating yourself. The more refined carbs you indulge in the more water you will need...

Consider keeping a little Battleplan-Journal. You make up a simple format, save it.
Whatever it is that's important to keep track of, and this may vary from month to month,
hence the monthly formats. U can always copy paste and start a new format.
Copy paste Format  and put in a new date, and go on to the next day.
Even if you are so busy you can barely look at it, you will become more mindful of your habits, what helps you.
Also you might remember something of the day... That's why I call mine a "Battleplan-Journal."

Best quality foods and supplements can be expensive. Try to find a few basic items which make a difference for you.
For me it is Sea Essential Liquid, Vitamin C complex, 300 mg COQ10 a day, some B1 when I have it… It varies.
Oh yeah DE is back in the mix. I mix it with Louisiana Hot Sauce in cran-cherry juice.  (Cane sugar sweetened and no high fructose corn syrup works for me.) Note: If it tastes so bad you cannot drink it, a bit of sugar is preferable to not drinking it. IMHO Best to not be too fanatical when trying to get some basics in.

As you get your lifestyle, schedule and nutrition better under control, add more expensive or complicated treatments… ?

You don't need to put off doing the more intense programs, or what you feel you need to try... Just don't forget about keeping in the basics, and building upon them…

Take a win if you are making progress...   ;D

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »
Especially good advice, yowbarb, and my favorite is the one about getting outside in the sun.  It is amazing the amount of naturally derived vitamin D3 that one can produce from just 10-20 minutes of direct sun a day.  And it doesn't HAVE to be directly overhead to stimulate the process in your skin.

Just thinking about going on in the sun on a clear day brightens the mood.