Author Topic: Native American survivor stories, tales, future?  (Read 55885 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Native American survivor stories, tales, future?
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »
On the old forum in Post It All And Let Blog Sort It Out we had a thread
called, Native American survivor stories, tales, future?
So here it is again.

PRAYER FOR THE TRUTH lonewolf13scott |   3:39      7,075 views
January 26, 2009 | 87 likes, 1 dislikes
"A song of hope and peace from the Native Americans point of view. Beautifully written by Bill Miller & John Flanagan. Sung by Bill Miller. This video is dedicated to my father."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQwdA3fQZ8
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:08:59 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Native American survivor stories, tales, future?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
While I was looking for a Native American/Americana quilt - just stumbled across some lovely sites with crafts, quilts,
artwork and music produced
by Native Americans.
I haven't verified these are all Native sites but they surely look like they are.
Here's one, which has links to several Native American artists:
http://www.prairieedge.com/
Crafts, ceramics, fine art, music books, jewelry clothing items etc.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »

http://www.prairieedge.com/category/24/203/
This page has the books the site offers, all about ancient Native American tales.
Might be interesting reading - wonder how they compare to the Kolbrin etc.

http://www.prairieedge.com/item/11464/24/203  Ancient Memory & Other Stories, The
John G. Neihardt. Soft Cover.

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Mt. Lemmon NOAA Weather Radio transmitter is down  http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/nwr/nwr_outage.php
THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO LOCATED ON MT. LEMMON WENT OFF THE AIR LATE LAST NIGHT DUE TO THE DETERIORATING CONDITIONS AT THE SITE OF THE TRANSMITTER...THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER IN TUCSON WILL BE DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. USERS CAN STILL TUNE INTO THE NOGALES TRANSMITTER...WNG703 AT 162.500 MHZ. OR THE SAFFORD TRANSMITTER AT KXI24 AT 162.550 MHZ.   

January's record rainfall across SE Arizona http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/climate/JanuaryRCDprecip.php

[HLN News this AM State of Arizona and the Navajo Nation are declared a State of Emergency.  Note from Yowbarb]
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/ This page shows the blizzard watches winter storm warnings etc.

- Yowbarb
Link to reports below, many of them having to do with damage at Indian Nations in the area

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=twc&prod=XXXLSRTWC&version=0&print=yes

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
Indian Country today

Health care reform signed into law
By Rob Capriccioso

Story Published: Mar 26, 2010
Image, Yvette Roubideax second from left Rosebud Sioux director of the Indian Health Services

Yvette Roubideaux, the Rosebud Sioux director of the IHS, spoke before Indian leaders last fall. She has long been advocating for the reauthorization of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act.

WASHINGTON

Lori

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
This is kind of long winded but it was well worth posting all of it.  Does this tell of a Previous Nib passage and recreation after?

http://members.cox.net/academia/origins.html

The Jicarilla Genesis (Jicarilla Apache) from James Mooney, American Anthropologist, Vol. XI., No. 7, Washington, D.C., July, 1898, pp. 197-209.

In the beginning the earth was covered with water, and all living things were below in the underworld. Then people could talk, the animals could talk, the trees could talk, and the rocks could talk.

It was dark in the underworld, and they used eagle plumes for torches. The people and the animals that go about by day wanted more light, but the night animals -- the Bear, the Panther, and the Owl -- wanted darkness. They disputed long, and at last agreed to play the k

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:43 AM »
Native Americans getting into dome homes -

http://www.awarenessmag.com/julaug08/ja08_for_native_americans.htm

For Native Americans ...
Domes Blend Their Ancestral Past with the Modern World
By Carol Lanham

Deep in the Grand Canyon, in a remote area accessible only on foot, by horseback or by helicopter, a dream is taking shape among members of the Havasupai tribe who inhabit the land. It is a dream for a better way of life, in harmony with their ancestral past yet in step with the realities of the modern world.
It is a dream that began with Uqualla, a Havasupai tribal chief and medicine man, but soon came to involve others throughout the United States. The dream has a name

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:49:23 PM by Yowbarb »

Joe Montanna

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
*NEW* Ancient Aliens 2010: The Mission

Heres the New Episode from the Ancient aliens series. I find it fascinating and i mean really enjoyable to watch.

so enjoy !

Ancient Aliens - The Mission 2010 1/10 [HST-s1e3]
JOE

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
This page of Sacred Texts website has Native American Religions, with a wealth of old stories and legends.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/index.htm

Native American religion, mythology and folklore are covered extensively at this site:

Aztecs
Californian
Inuit
Maya
Plains
Northeastern
   Iroquois
Northwestern
Southeastern
   Cherokee
Southwestern
   Navajo
   Zu

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
DThundersLeadSinga | February 21, 2010
2010 Simnasho Oregon pow wow, Mens Traditional Song one,
Lincolns Birthday Pow Wow...

2010 Simnasho Pow Wow *Mens Traditional* **Song 1**

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
A search engine for native sites and info, from the last site I posted,
Pow Wows.com   Your Portal to North American Tribal Culture
http://www.powwows.com/calendar/displaymonth.php

NativeSeek
Your custom search for native sites search

Indianz.com, Indianzcountry.com, NDNSports.com, NMAI GatheringofNations.com, Powwows.com, and more....

http://powwows.com/   
Search engine at site:
Latest Forum Threads 64th Annual Navajo Nation Fair
Orme Dam Victory Days -...
Harsh? Fair? or Easy? How's...
National Sugar Cookie Day
About rolls...
Greetings
Powwows in New England
4th Weekly drawing for a...
Video Games Day - July 8th
Murder case dropped in 1981...
Omaha Tribe seeks money over...
Native News Update July 7,...
Lummi man accused of cutting...
Thimble or no thimble??
Feds fine Yakama sawmill...

Visit Forum

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
Here's one in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.
Women's Jingle Brandon Pow Wow 2010
RYANNEWHITE | February 01, 2010
no description available

Women's Jingle Brandon Pow Wow 2010

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
This was at Arizona State University -
Mens Fancy @ ASU pow wow 2010

fancydancevideos | April 19, 2010
mens fancy dance to old Oklahoma song by southern thunder. sunday afternoon

Mens Fancy @ ASU pow wow 2010

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 07:38:49 AM »
Native American farmers hopeful about suit involving USDA loans
By Alyse Shorland, CNN July 9, 2010 3:27 p.m. EDT

Porter Holder vividly remembers the day in 1998 when he left a U.S. Department of Agriculture loan office in Oklahoma empty-handed.

He had applied for a low-interest USDA loan to help keep a farm in family ownership. He says he expected his application to be accepted. He had kept his debt at a minimum and developed a plan for supplementing his income. He believes he was turned down because he's Native American, a member of the Choctaw tribe.

"The day I walked out of there, I knew why he denied me," Holder said.

In 1999, He joined other Native Americans in a class-action lawsuit that accused the USDA of discriminatory lending over a 25-year period. USDA loans can be used for purchasing land, livestock, equipment and other operational items.

Video: Where is the settlement money? The lending practices of USDA regional offices have cost Native American farmers hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue, their lawyers said, although they added that it's a hard number to estimate because of how many farmers may have been affected. The attorneys say their expert witness, agricultural economist Patrick O'Brien, estimated that over 18 years, Native American farmers received only half the loans they could have expected to obtain.

As a result, many saw their farms foreclosed on and their fields lying fallow.

A recent settlement on behalf of African-American farmers gave Native Americans hope that their case will also be resolved in their favor. Individual black farmers could receive $50,000 each as a result of the case, known as Pigford II.

According to the 2007 Census of Agriculture, there are about 60,000 Native American farmers in the United States -- double the number of African-American farmers. The vast majority of Native American farmers work on family-operated farms.

Holder lives on 320 gently rolling acres in Oklahoma, where he raises cattle. His primary source of income is work as a blacksmith, shoeing horses in his community. With the right amount of financial help, he said, his life could have been different.

[PHOTO on page] George Keepseagle, left, walks with his family in North Dakota. The case against the USDA is named for him."I could have been a rancher," he said. "That's what I wanted to do."

[Yowbarb Note here is a photo from another article]
George Marilyn Keepseagle on their farm in North Dakota.

http://buffalopost.net/wp-content/uploads/Keepseagle1.jpg

Back to CNN article:
Holder said regional USDA offices repeatedly denied him access to loans. In one instance, he said he was told to "go see [his] tribe."

After the regional office denied him a loan at 4 percent interest, Porter said he received an 8 percent interest loan through a private bank. He purchased the acres he lives on now, but he said the high interest has put a strain on his finances.

"If it was fair, I would be in a different place," he said. "I am thankful to be where I am, don't get me wrong, but I would be in a different place."

The Native Americans' lead counsel, Joseph Sellers, said the USDA loans are vital to the existence of Native American farmers.

"The precondition to getting these kinds of loans is the USDA is regarded as the lender of last resort," he said. "So the people who get these loans have already demonstrated that they can't get loans at two commercial lending institutions. So if they don't get credit from the USDA, they get credit from no one."

O'Brien, formerly with the USDA research service, agreed, saying that USDA loan programs were "limited to operators who cannot obtain sufficient credit at reasonable rates elsewhere but who would be able to operate viable farm businesses if USDA made the loan(s) in question."

I could have been a rancher. That's what I wanted to do.

--Porter Holder, a plaintiff in the class-action lawsuit
 Claryca Mandan says farming is in her blood. Her family was named its county's Farming Family of the Year in 1968. She says credit became almost impossible to get around the time she married her husband, Keith, in 1979. Like Holder, she is Native American and said she remembers when the loan practices of her local USDA office took what she called "an aggressive stance."

Mandan, who was a borrower from the USDA for years, is now a plaintiff in the lawsuit against it.

"It became apparent we were receiving different treatment," she said. "We were given loan amounts that were lesser than we already requested, and we were encouraged to buy the oldest machinery instead of stuff adequate and [the] equivalent to white farmers. We started to receive a lot of resistance from the local county staff."

Mandan said the regional office's stance toward lending was aimed not only at putting Native American farmers at a disadvantage, but at benefiting their non-Native American counterparts. Many Native American farms are on land -- usually in reservations -- that the federal government holds in trusts for the benefit of future generations. The land falls under tribal government authority, but Mandan charged that as more Native American farms defaulted on loans from the government, more farms were offered by the federal government for purchase to farmers who were not Native Americans.

A 1997 report from a civil rights action team to the USDA on the treatment of minority farmers generally, cited in the lawsuit, said that as minority farmers were unable to afford their lands, "The land is lost finally and sold at auction, where it is bought by someone else at half the price being asked of the minority farmer. Often it is alleged that the person was a friend or relative of one of [the USDA's Farm Service Administration] county officials."

The Mandans are members of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, also known as Three Affiliated Tribes. The couple still resides on land that was allocated by the Dawes General Allotment Act of 1887, which aimed at settling Native American tribes and turning them into farmers and ranchers.

A lot of us just have the bare land with fences. Many of us don't even have buildings.

--Claryca Mandan, plaintiff in the class-action suit
 Mandan, who now works as a Native American credit outreach counselor, said she and her family struggled without access to affordable credit. After she failed to secure a USDA loan, the Mandans raised four children in a two-bedroom mobile home for 12 years. Without proper loans, she said, she couldn't afford a larger home. It wasn't until 2007 that she moved her family into what she felt was adequate housing, purchased through a local housing authority.

Ultimately, Mandan said, they won't be able to hand down working farms to their children.

"We aren't able to pass on farms with buildings and irrigation. A lot of us just have the bare land with fences. Many of us don't even have buildings," she said. "Many of us just finally achieved standard housing. For this to be happening in the U.S. today, with an agency that was supposed to fund us equally, is just wrong."

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a recent statement to CNN that the USDA is "committed to resolving allegations of past discrimination because we are intent on ensuring every farmer and rancher is treated equally and fairly. We have made significant progress on addressing USDA's civil rights record to close this chapter in the department's history."

USDA officials told CNN that they are in settlement discussions with Native American farmers and that they are putting the final touches on a plan that would turn the page on the discrimination claims by Hispanic and women farmers, as well.

"We want to put this behind us and focus on the future," a USDA official said. "We want to make sure we have a strong foundation moving forward."

I support him, I encourage him, I tell him it's not the end of the world and something good should come out of this.

--Marilyn Keepseagle, wife of lawsuit plaintiff