Author Topic: How To Make Candles  (Read 2923 times)

noproblemo2

How To Make Candles
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »
Candle making is really a very easy craft. It is true that you can get very fancy with the candles that you make, the basic process is still the same.
Difficulty: Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Wax melting pitcher and a pot, OR two old pots with one being able to fit inside the other, OR an old double boiler you no longer want to use.
    * Stirring spoon, I prefer wooden ones.
    * Candle mold or jar
    * Wax
    * Wicks (either prepared with metal tabs OR on a spool. If you purchase them on a spool you will need metal tabs)
    * Cooking Spray (If using molds)
    * Candle Dye
    * Fragrance or Essence oil.
    * Needle Nosed Pliers (if preparing your own wicks).

1.Prepare your wicks. If you didn't by wicks that are already on metal tabs then you will want to do this now. While this isn't completely necessary it makes it easier to work with and isn't very expensive so well worth the money. Cut the wick to about one inch more then your jar or mold. Place the end in the metal tab and squeeze the wick holder closed with the pliers. If you have a prepared tabbed wick then cut it so that it is about one inch longer then your mold or jar.
   2.Prepare the mold. If you are using a mold you will want to lightly spray it with cooking spray. This will make it easier to get your candle out once it is finished.
   3.Add the wick into the bottom of the jar or mold.
   4.Clean everything really well. Dust is a bad thing to have in your jar or mold or in your melting containers.
   5.Add your wick to your mold or to your jar.
   6.Melt the wax. You will either need to do this with the candle wax pitcher in a shallow pan of water, with two old pans being used one inside the other (set up like a double boiler with water in the bottom one and wax in the top one), or actually using a double boiler with wax in the top and water in the bottom. Go slowly and stir frequently. Turn off heat.
   7.After the wax is thoroughly melted add colorant. This will be a powdered or liquid dye. You will want to start by adding a very small amount a pinch or a few drops. Then mix thoroughly. Add additional colorant till you have achieved the color of your choice.
   8.Once you have come to a color you like. Add the fragrance. You will want to do this a few drops at a time. Stir well and see how you like the smell. Be careful not to get carried away, especially if using essential oils which can be much stronger then synthetic versions (fragrance oils).
   9.Pour wax into your mold or jar. Let it cool for about an hour. At which time you should check to make sure the wick is in the middle of the candle.
  10.Allow to cool for 24 hours. If you have made it in a jar then you don't need to do anything farther. If you have made it in molds then it is a good idea to remove it from the mold now.
  11.Trim wick to 1/4" above the wax.

Read more: How to Make Candles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2349754_make-candles.html#ixzz1CZC0eqwJ

noproblemo2

Re: How To Make Candles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Does anyone know of a good source for wicks?

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
While going through some old posts, I found this one.  The best source I know of for wicks is www.candlewic.com  Another site for all candlemaking supplies is www.lonestarcandlesupply.com  I just placed a fairly large order with them, so will followup with another post on their products and service.  I haven't done any candlemaking in a really long time, but decided this would be a great year to renew my skills, and use them as affordable, homemade Christmas gifts too (if all goes well, that is!)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:57:42 AM »
I found the Christmas Candlemaking project to be a very enjoyable experience.  It is truly such an easy thing to do, but yet a very important skill for aftertimes.  I tried using soy wax for the first time, and found it worked great, though it must be used in containers.  Really the only equipment necessary is basically a pouring pot (or double boiler) and a cooking thermometer!  If you want more information, just check out the website, www.candlewic.com  They even have videos for beginners! 

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:52 AM »
Well, my soy candle making project has apparently turned into a home business, now taking up so much of my time I barely have time for anything else!  And actually, if you want to make a professional, for sale candle, it's not quite as easy as I originally thought either!  (Maybe I had some beginners luck to start, I don't know for sure)  However, I really think it's going to be a great way to generate some additional money toward supplies, and worse case scenario, I'll have candles to last me and my family a lifetime!  Here's to hoping they sell well!  If anyone is interested on any information on how-to's, just let me know....

chaunska

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
We have bees and use beeswax for making candles.   You can make dipped taper type candles with beeswax.   If you store them in the freezer wrapped in paper, they will actually burn longer and cleaner.   Sometimes, I'll have regular wax candles to mix with my beeswax to make it go farther.   If I do this with my beeswax, I try to use only gold, white and yellow candles to keep them an authentic color for our re-enactments.   Also, sometimes we have a little candle wax around for our fires.   When wood is wet and doesn't want to start, putting some wax pieces and shavings in between the logs and on the kindling really gets a fire going.  The wood acts like a wick and the wax burns. 

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
I have considered trying some beeswax ones as well,  that appears to be simpler perhaps, with basically just rolling them, but correct if I'm wrong.  I think that would also be a great addition to my natural candle line.

chaunska

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
Those sheets that you are talking about rolling are really for the be hives.   The bees build their honeycomb on the forms.   I think that would be a pretty expensive way to make candles, but they would look really cool.   To use real honeycomb, you must first separate the comb from the honey.   We use a hot knife to cut off the caps and then a big centrifuge to extract the honey.   Then we melt down the comb in some water.   The comb seperates from the remaining honey and water.  We let it cool and take the hardened and floating wax off.   Then we melt it down again and remove the "floaters".   Then we can pour it into molds or dip wicks and make dipped candles.   You need a lot of comb to make a few candles. 

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
Oh dear, nope I don't have bees.  And that process sounds very difficult and time consuming.  Certainly not for a novice like myself anyway.  I was thinking of the sheets the wholesalers sell.  Sure would be a good skill to know, but I've been tackling so many new ones lately, my heads spinning!