Author Topic: Cheap, filling meal ideas for the Aftertimes  (Read 8955 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Cheap, filling meal ideas for the Aftertimes
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »
Cheap, filling meals.
Tempura is the first thing that comes to mind. Using up leftover vegetable and meat scraps, as long as they are still good, and rinsed off and chopped up...
A person could folow a traditional Tempura recipe or concoct one out of the dry ingredients on hand... various types of flour... perhaps some corn flakes...
Whatever works.
I suggest to serve tempura with tamari soy sauce. The special fermentation helps give more protein and it keeps longer. It is more expensive so any kind of soysauce or whatever available would be OK. Soysauce and jars of various dipping sauces would be good to add to the survival food list. These things help a person to serve up fods that other wise might not be eaten... they make them more palatable, and as I said tempura is cheap and a way to use of vegetables... Note: Thre are a lot of different ways to make tempura batter this is one way, ingredients listed farther below. Next post will have more detailed directions and eventually will try to post a large batch recipe, which would be needed if you end up cooking for a lot of people in the Aftertimes, and stretching the food. - Yowbarb
...Image: Batter-fried vegetable assortment
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2010/09/tempura-veggies.html
Home With Mandy:
"So I went for it. I made tempura red bell pepper, tempura broccoli, tempura zucchini chips and of course tempura asparagus (the veggie that started it all!)

My favorite were the red bell pepper, which I cut into strips. I would also like to try the bell pepper cut into rings, I think that would be a great contrast to all the other "sticks" on the plate. Onion would be great in rings too! I cut the zucchini into chips, and those were SO tasty! I whipped up the dipping sauce from the original recipe made with yogurt, honey and dijon...but I think a homemade ranch would be excellent here. Maybe Chipotle Ranch or Creamy Jalapeno Ranch recipe?!?! Both are excellent choices."
Some of Mandy's recipe ideas this is her dipping sauce (remember soysauce will work, too. - YB)
Mandy: "Speaking of the amazing dipping sauce, here is what you will need:
1/4 C Yogurt
2 T Mayo
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Honey"

Mandy's Step-by-step tempura directions on this page:
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2008/11/tempura-asparagus.html

".. move on to the batter. You will need:
3/4 C Flour
1/2 C Cornstarch
1/4 C Sesame Seeds
3/4 t Salt
1/2 t baking soda
Club soda: Add 1 Cup seltzer (at room temperature.)
All The directions on this page:
http://www.homewithmandy.com/2008/11/tempura-asparagus.html

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Cheap, filling meal ideas for the Aftertimes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
Barb, really sounds good with veggies etc..... Link has a lot of good recipes Thanks
Thanks, for some reason I thought of tempura today...
My mom gave me A Tree Grows In Brooklyn to read, when I was about eleven, and it had an effect on me.
The mother Katy would take bread crumbs or stale bread, roll them all up and fry them in hot grease then serve up a whole big bunch of them with catsup and act like it was a special treaat. The reason? There was nothing in the house at the time but bread, lard and catsup. The kids gobbled it up... during the Great Depression...

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/tree-grows-in-brooklyn-VHScover.jpg

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
That looks tasty.

Yes, doesn't it? I think I want to use this as a budget stretcher...
I haven't cooked it since I was macrobiotic vegetarian decades ago...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
A couple of cooking tips for tempura batter. Hot oil and ice cold tempura batter!
Re Hot oil:
I was watching Oriental food cooking show on the TV several years ago.
The Chef said with his Chinese accent, "if there's a bubble, no trouble."
What he did was watch the oil as it was heating up in an iron pan.
Periodically he would put a dry long metal spoon down to the bottom of the pan.
Nothing. Then the next time he checked it, when he put the metal spoon down to the bottom of the pan, there appeared two or three little bubbles right next to the spoon. He said that's it now you can cook in the oil. "Bubble means no trouble."

When I made tempura I did mix up the batter and then get the batter nice and cold.
I made sure the oil was hot but not burning.
Dropping the tempura coated vegetables in the pot wasn't hard to do. With a metal slotted spoon it's not difficult to turn them over. With trial and error and a little sampling you can make the tempura done enough.
Macrobiotic cooking recommends cold pressed sesame or corn or peanut.
If cooking for a large survival crowd make sure no one has peanut allergy.
You can use any type of vegetable scrap whatsoever as long as it is still fresh enough.
I didn't try cooking meats or fish at the time but that should be easy. I'd say just make sure it is done enough.
Over use of foods cooked in hot oil is not a good idea, but periodic use is fine. This is a real budget stretcher.
Investigate where you can get bulk good quality flours.
There are pre-made tempura mixes but fairly expensive and tiny quantities.
I am thinking bulk quantity plain old Bisquick - type complete baking mix would be good. And or aka complete pancake mix.

The other day we had some leftover complete pancake mix I had kept for quite awhile.
(Daughter and I were on a diet and not eating so many pancakes but I had kept the mix in a sealed plastic container.)
It was time to cook my son something.
I took chicken breasts, quickly sliced them up and made a batter dip. Dry pancake mix, mixed with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning (Popeyes Brand).  All I did was coat the chicken in the dry mix.
Dropped it all in a big pan of hot oil. Turned once. Easy fast yumm.
It might have been even better with moist pancake batter.

You get the idea. Flour and mixes will come in handy in the future.

If someone is able to get some game, fish, or use up canned meats etc.  some of it  taste better, breaded.

Ideas anyone?
Yowbarb

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:52:35 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
BTW the Chinese cook I was referring to in previous post was not cooking Japanese tempura.  ;D He was demonstrating proper techniques cooking foods in hot oil, as
part of Oriental cooking.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:25:05 AM »
Homemade vegetable tempura - just some images...This is one band of pre-made mix I have used. Better to learn to make it from scratch, of course...survival recipe. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Tempura

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Tempura   

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
I have never used this before, is it like a flour batter?

Yes it is simply a flour batter. Noteworthy: There are various types. Various degrees of healthfulness, types of grains used in the flour...
There is no doubt that plain old cheap white flour would be the easiest to get, store and have in abundance. Properly mixed and used as a batter for vegetables and meats, it is tasty.
Four tricks: 1) ice cold tempura batter 2) very hot oil  3) fast cooking time 4) Don't fret over it; use a light touch.  ;)

A basic tempura recipe: http://japanesefood.about.com/od/tempura/r/tempurabatter.htm

Tempura are battered and deep fried dishes, which are commonly eaten in Japan. This is a recipe to make basic batter. Using ice water for the batter is recommended in order to make crispy tempura. It's good to make the batter right before frying tempura. Preparing the batter ahead of time is not recommended.

Ingredients:
•1 egg
•1 cup ice water/cold water
•1 cup all purpose flour, sifted

Preparation:

Beat an egg in a bowl. Add ice water in the bowl. Be sure to use very cold water. Add sifted flour in the bowl and mix lightly. Be careful not to overmix the batter.

Here is a sample recipe...it is a dinky amount ... one could make much bigger batches...
http://www.macrobioticmeals.com/recipes_winter3.html

Tempura batter: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. kuzu, 1 pinch sea salt, enough cold water to make a pancake batter-like consistency

kuzu = another name for kudzu.
Organic Kuzu Root Starch - Tropical Traditions

www.tropicaltraditions.com/kuzu_root_starch.htm
Organic Kuzu Root Starch is a versatile thickener that dissolves quickly in any cold liquid and has no perceptible taste. It is very low in calories, contains no fat ...

ALSO:  http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/would-use-coconut-flour-in-28603.html   COCONUT FLOUR USES, INCLUDING TEMPURA.
(Yumm!!) 

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:19:45 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
I wonder if some cooked corn meal (cold) would make a good tempura batter.
Anybody try this?
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
Cornmeal is a real budget stretcher.
Hot corn meal mush with some butter - sometimes with a bit of honey.
Cornbread... !

I found this on the net:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080819014822AAn0vrl

Need SCRATCH cornbread recipe to feed a mob (BIG pans!!)--& that holds up well?
samiracat asked 5 years ago

I'm not sure how many you need to feed, but with these you can adjust to suit your needs...

This recipe feeds 64

2 1/2 quarts corn meal
 2 1/2 quarts flour
 3/4 cup baking powder
 2 cups brown sugar
 1 1/3 T salt
 2 quarts milk
 16 eggs beaten
 2 cups melted butter
 mix all dry ingredients ,add milk slowly...stir in eggs and butter..pour into greased pans..bake at 450 for 40 mins

this recipe serves 240

10 pounds cornmeal
 8 pounds flour
 1 1/2 pounds baking powder
 1 1/2 pounds sugar
 1/2 cup salt
 2 gallons milk
 5 pounds butter or shortening melted
 36 eggs beaten

VIDEO:  Baking Cornbread Outside On A Fire   

LINK:     http://youtu.be/vaAtZKkotdw

Uploaded on Feb 18, 2012 

I decided to have a go at the "Southern Cornbread" recipe on the back of the White Lily Cornmeal Mix package. I opted for Buttermilk in the recipe as well as substituting two tablespoons of light brown sugar instead of regular white sugar. It turned out pretty well. This is the first time I've used the current incarnation of the outdoor brick oven which I cobbled up from old bricks left about the property by the previous owner of my house. Next time I will back fill some material in the bottom of the oven to reduce the distance to the cooking rack. This wouldn't have taken as long nor used as much firewood to cook if it was closer to the coals. The rack was purchased on clearance in Lowes for $6.88

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
Yowbarb Note: This will help feed a crowd. A bunch of cornbread to go along with soup, beans or stew. A complete corn bread mix, all ready to use. Just add water.
5 pound bag, 43 servings . Current price is $4.17.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/restaurant-consumables.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/5-lb-yellow-cornbread-mix/999CORNBRDMX.html

Details
5# bag, 43 servings.
"Due to the density of this dry mix, it should be measured by weight, not measured out."
Certified Kosher

Quickly and easily whip up batches of warm, delicious cornbread with this 5 lb. yellow cornbread mix! Providing all of the ingredients you need, just add water to this convenient mix and bake. Though this cornbread is easy to make, it still retains a homemade, made-from-scratch taste your patrons know and love. Simplify the baking process and serve your guests more quickly and efficiently!