Author Topic: Waste Treatments!  (Read 8578 times)

Charlie

Waste Treatments!
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
Hello and thank you for accepting me to the community!  I enjoyed reading the limited portions to guests while waiting.

I'm Charlie Little from extreme Western Arkansas, about 30  miles South of Fort Smith, almost in Oklahoma. Hoping I'm far enough away from the New Madrid area.  Am not in much of a position to pick up and move at this point.  Going to have to make the best of it where I am which is a small community surrounded by other small communities.

Suppose I should give a sort of history on myself and how I came to be here.  It was more of a spiritual knowledge search than preparing for an end of the world scenario but here I now am.

Just a few weeks ago I woke up one morning and as usual, sat up on the edge of my bed to sort of wake up and gain balance before stumbling through the dark.  I sat there in total darkness and eyes open, saw what I consider as a vision of a nuclear cloud off far in the distance, rising into the sky.  That was all and it bothered me for several days.  I told a couple of people about it and they had no input and I just sort of blew it off but it stayed in the back of my mind.

Adding to that, ever since early in 2010 I have been plagued by seeing the number 11...alot.  I see it many times during the day, every day and not conciously trying to.  I just look at the clock and it will be something:11 o'clock.  I posted about this on my facebook and one lady told me it meant God's judgement was coming.  That sort of bothered me.

Anyway, for about 15 years I was active in church here in our community after what I believe was a real encounter with God.  I "believe" (not quite sure to what extent currently) in Jesus the Christ and was ordained a minister and preached for a few years.  Honestly though, the longer I remained in Church and the more I studied the Bible, the more and more I felt as though there was something missing.  I left church about 3 years ago, finally coming to the conclusion I downright felt as though it was not right at all and have remained somewhat of a hermit to myself with my thoughts about things I did not feel like anyone else could understand. I think 'different" than anyone I know around here locally.  Always had kind of an idea that there was something to do with UFO's and God but could never put it into perspective until very recently when I started looking online and somehow stumbled on Zecharia Sitchin's "Lost Book of Enki" just a few days ago and further research led me to find this community.

Still not quite sure how to even say this and to put things into perspective concerning my faith.  I want to believe in Christ and the bible but having read Sitchin's account which I feel spoke volumes into my spirit I'm somewhat confused.  The problem is I believe Sitchin's account and have not yet been able to mesh it with longtime beliefs.  Will have to work on that and appreciate any input if others have had the same feelings.

As for the title of my post, "It Happens", well having read most of the topics in the limited forum and having performed a search being a new member, i see nothing mentioned of this and feel it is a very important matter to consider in our plans pertaining to survival.

I'm talking about human fecal material...It happens and what are you planning on doing about it?

I urge you all to research this material, learn the mistakes we have made concerning this as industrialized man and carry this knowledge into the future for the good of the earth and our children for generations.

http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html

This will teach you all about safely composting of your own waste.  Please do not make the mistakes which have brought us to this point and take this seriously.

I am a wastewater treatment plant operator in my town.  Transporting human waste with water and treating it with current methods is the worst thing man ever invented.  I will not go into it as you will learn it all in the Humanure Handbook.

That is my introduction.  I'm doing what I can to put up food and water stores and learning as much as I can as quickly as possible.  The urgency in my spirit says we do not have much time to waste.  I wish you all well. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:24:03 PM by BajaSusan »

noproblemo2

Re: It happens!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
CharlieLittle welcome to Town Hall. We are all like-minded, so you are among friends. Others will soon weigh in their thoughts also as you have brought up some very valid points.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
Hi Charlie and welcome to Town Hall. There have been a lot of "spiritual awakenings" among people in regards to Planet X, a lot have had visions and dreams which bring you to a crossroad in your belief system. For me I have to go with my inner gut, it tells me when I have encountered a truth, then it's up to me what I do with it.

Glad you are here.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
Welcome Charlie and other new members.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »
Welcome Charlie!

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes  ;D

Now for some more crappy thoughts.  I realize for awhile it might not be top on most folks list to defecate in a bucket, cover it with sawdust and so on as taught in the Humanure Handbook.  But in the event of a disaster, any type of disaster where utilities are interrupted for any length of time, we are going to have to consider what to do that will not expose us to the odors and filth, not to mention the bacterial dangers. If you go into it knowing and prepare as you have with anything else, you will be that much more ahead. A family unit will produce more fecal material than you will know what to do with in a short time if you don't have a plan for it.  Please study the material and incorporate it into your plan.  If you are perhaps going to be a part of a community of survivors you better have something.  Perhaps each of you will be the one's who have the answer to this problem within your respective groups.

Burying it in the ground is ok short term but please don't consider it a long term solution and please don't go back to the old days of pit outhouses.  That began the contamination of groundwater sources back in the day.  Composting in a suitable site which does not promote leaching into the ground or water run-off in the methods prescribed will not harm the environment and the thermophilic action in the composting process will kill all pathogens. Your humanure can safely then be handled and incorporated back into your soil as a beneficial compost.

You might also consider researching the "Rotary Composter" process if you have several people in your group or a small community.  Small versions of these are like the backyard "compost tumblers" do not really hold enough material to reach the heat required for pathogen elimination.  A multi yard capacity unit can process alot of material mixed with the proper ratio of carbons to nitrogens and heat it up to in excesses of 150 degrees F in as little as 24-48 hours. 

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
an unpleasant subject of course but absolutely positively a must do thing to incorporate into a survival plan.

Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
You might also consider researching the "Rotary Composter"

Interesting idea.  Power to do the rotating??  Additives??

Compared to septic tank?

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:18 PM »
You might also consider researching the "Rotary Composter"

Interesting idea.  Power to do the rotating??  Additives??

Compared to septic tank?

Glad you asked Jim!

A large cylinder such as concrete or perhaps a large plastic road culvert if any such survived the fires or whatever with ends built on like a door way to facilitate loading and emptying could be set on wheels fixed to a frame and turned by block and tackle or a pulley system, gears of sorts or simply set on a flat ground surface and rolled back and forth to facilitate turning of the material to provide aeration (for aerobic bacteria) to the mix.  The bacteria provide the heat and thus kill off the pathogens.  The Humanure Handbook gives the times and temperatures required to be considered pathogen free.

A mix of two to three parts dry or browns (carbon) like sawdust, dried grass or leaves, shredded paper, etc...  to one part wet or greens (nitrogen) like your fecal matter or any thing that was once alive.  The big industrial composters work well in all kinds of facilities and they compost everything from dead animals parts in processing facilities to prison lunch leftovers, etc.

A septic tank is just what the name implies. Septic. It utilizes anaerobic bacteria which produces methane gas and many other undesirable things such as foul odors.  It is really no different than an outhouse pit where eventually the pollutants will end up in groundwater sources.  Reminds me of a local lake where people all around were on septic systems.  When the Corps of Engineers lowered the lake to do repairs on the dam drainage system a few years ago, the residents were all shocked to see septic black spots surface out in the lake in front of all of their homes.  They had been swimming in and eating the fish from waters where their own poop was polluting the water.  Nobody swims there any more, nor do they fish.  It's pretty sick.

This also make me want to remind everyone that sewer gas is deadly or at the very least can make one very ill and is often odorless and not detected without instruments.  It can cause headaches, fatigue, nausea and a multitude of symptoms.  People often just feel bad and tired all the time who are exposed to it.  All persons who are hooked to public sewer or septic systems should always be sure their plumbing is up to snuff and p-traps under drains always maintain fluid in the p-trap.  See, people often have sinks or floor drains in their home or shop that never get used and the water will evaporate over time and leave an open path for sewer gas to enter the home or wherever.  I can't tell you how many people never consider this we have discovered just in our small town.  If there is such a drain in your home, either plug it off or put something like vegetable oil in the drain that won't harden or evaporate.  Also be kind to your sewer plant worker and don't pour grease down your drain!!!

A properly operated aerobic compost system such as a traditional pile or a rotary unit will not smell offensive or attract pests, will kill all the nasties via thermophilic heat and provide you with a valuable resource to work back into the earth as it was meant to be.

There is a portion of my work's modern facility that expells grit (rocks and dirt/sand) and other non-digested organics such as food solids like corn and other vegetable matter before it enters the treatment portion, about 10-15 gallons per day.  Rather than put this into a dumpster, attract a million flies as it was in the beginning and add to the growing toxic landfill problem, I got the local sawmill to donate a truck load of sawdust that I mix with this material 2:1 and put it in a traditional pile.  It starts to heat up really good once the pile gets a couple of feet deep and will maintain excess of 140 degrees F in the middle of the pile as I add to it daily throughout the year. 

Filth flies do not mess with it much due to the heat but Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) will infest it and help to reduce the matter.  They are a beneficial insect and are high in protein by the way!!! Would not want to eat them from a pile of crap though.  Some folks are using them in major refuse reduction and some have even invented a dedicated composting unit and toilet systems for underdeveloped countries especially for BSFL they call the "Bio Pod" for those who might want to research it.  They will eat any non cellulosic dead matter and earthworms will eat the rotting cellulosic matter so they are often incorporated into total composting systems.

This makes me think of a topic for another thread we might like to discuss about survival foods as being the many edible and high protein insects that will likely survive.  Yum  :P   

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:48:42 PM by CharlieLittle »

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Hi Charlie,
Your Reply #8 is very good and informative. The natural way of treating the waste is the best. The Chemical Plant I used to work at
had their own on-site Sewer Treatment Plant. It wasn't very big at all; about half the size of the trailer on a Semi-truck and about
as high. It took a large quantity of water to operate and had to be maintained well as to Ph level and the amount of 'bacteria'
added to digest the waste. I was one of the ones that had to make sure it was operating ok and to turn the right valves at the
right time etc. The only bad part I hated was when it acted up and I had to get the Vacuum truck to wash it out for a fresh
restart.
Water based treatment plants are a 'high resource' way to treat waste due to the amount of water
and equipment needed to treat waste..... Natural treatment is the way to go.
On the other subject; if chocolate is available after the Apocalypse then it is chocolate covered bug for me or not at all lol...................

Charlie

Re: Waste Treatments!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
Cool on the sticky topic "Waste Treatments"!

We really could put tons of info here but it's all there in the Humanure Handbook. 

Here's Jenkin's YouTube Channel for humanure video's... http://www.youtube.com/user/jcjenkins01

For a real good look at what a post apocalyptic scenario might be like, check their video series on the work done in Haiti...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jcjenkins01#p/c/FD5D0CE103FD3A56/18/_0uQ82RXmGg

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:07:37 PM by CharlieLittle »

noproblemo2

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
This is a very important topic that does merit discussion and solutions. Good job Charlie Thanks.

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Just a few weeks ago I woke up one morning and as usual, sat up on the edge of my bed to sort of wake up and gain balance before stumbling through the dark.  I sat there in total darkness and eyes open, saw what I consider as a vision of a nuclear cloud off far in the distance, rising into the sky.
I'll explain later for the question............... : Do you have a memory or sense of what direction you saw that cloud?

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Just a few weeks ago I woke up one morning and as usual, sat up on the edge of my bed to sort of wake up and gain balance before stumbling through the dark.  I sat there in total darkness and eyes open, saw what I consider as a vision of a nuclear cloud off far in the distance, rising into the sky.
I'll explain later for the question............... : Do you have a memory or sense of what direction you saw that cloud?

No not really that I can recall.  I was facing West though sitting up.

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »
No not really that I can recall.  I was facing West though sitting up.
A little over 2 weeks ago I had a dream. I was on the beachfront of the ms. gulf coast. I wasn't in a car and I was standing in the
highway with some other people I did not know. I can remember thinking how stormy it was looking and then turning toward the
West-southwest; toward New Orleans. A cloud many miles wide with straight sides was rushing upward. Like a lot of dreams it is
sketchy but we know what a cloud like that signifies............................. I don't put any weight in the dream myself as to
premonition; only throw it out there ! When you mentioned yours I only wanted to say that you are not the only one to have that
type. Hope it doesn't mean anything.