Author Topic: Waste Treatments!  (Read 9066 times)

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Waste Treatments!
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »
Just for those not aware. I use to work in a paper mill and we had fast dissolve paper formulations. We are still on a septic system here and in the past we accidentally used about a half case of Charmin which is tough and takes forever to break down and things slowed way down, then I realized the error and all was fine. Well not until today did I notice the last 3 roll of a new pack an Oopsy Charmin(Ma done it). I noticed things were slow and never thought to double check that brand but did notice it was a much tougher tissue. Still that toughness was so not right I wish I had caught it sooner. It will take weeks to get back to normal and I may add some extra enzymes. The rest of that will be for emergency or nose blowing use. We do not flush that. Enough on crap paper. 
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

mirbach

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »
Back in the '80's when I was a commercial diver, our boat had a sanitation system that consisted of a toilet with a pump handle that served to flush the bowl with water and to actuate chopper blades that macerated the poo which was then flushed into a holding tank. The holding tank was electrified to generate chlorine from the sea water which killed all the bacteria and bleached the waste so that clear and odor free sanitized liquid returned to the sea. Although I don't think that waste discharge is still legal, the concept of frappe-ing the poo and adding chlorine to it may also be a sanitary alternative to the composting methods.

I searched the internet and was not able to find much descriptive information on the inner workings of such a system, however such systems are still available. The modern system has the poo go into the first stage tank which is an aerator tank to let the bacteria blossom by pumping air up through it, then it goes into the next tank where it is chemically treated (either chlorine or something else) and then it goes to a third tank where the chemicals kill the bacteria and the effluent is ready to discard.

Maybe I'll just get some pigs.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 05:47:58 AM »
In reply to the "Maybe I'll just get some pigs" and other info on the pigs as sanitation cleanup.  The pigs we have raised for consumption are only ever fed grain, pig feed and possibly some bread type scraps from the table (they especially liked pie and doughnuts!). It's probably common sense that most do know, but I just thought I had better put it out there for those that don't, that you wouldn't want to consume pigs if that's what was in their diet.  You can't just feed pigs any old scraps as some people to this day still think you can!  But that would be another subject.

fox

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
I read about a rancher that was very proud that he was running cows and pigs together. He said that he got double duty from his pasture since the cows ate the grass and the pigs followed the cows and ate the cow manure. This is not a joke but a true story as reported in an agricultural magazine. Kinda turned me away from eating pork.

fox

chaunska

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
I read about a rancher that was very proud that he was running cows and pigs together. He said that he got double duty from his pasture since the cows ate the grass and the pigs followed the cows and ate the cow manure. This is not a joke but a true story as reported in an agricultural magazine. Kinda turned me away from eating pork.

fox

Seriously,  Cow, buffalo, and horse poo is mostly just grass, some grain it if they are eating that too.   When cow, buffalo, and horse pucky is dried out, it makes really good fire.   We do this all the time, and it smells nice and sweet when burning.   It puts a nice sweet smoky flavor in meat when cooked over.   Ever hear of buffalo chips?   Well, that's what we cooked with and kept warm with when we were wondering out on the plains.     I think the pigs wait until it is dry before chowing down on them, so it is like ground up hay at that point.   Worms and worm eggs are dead once the poo is dried.    I would eat a pig that ate excrement from horses, cows or buffalo, not a problem.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:39:51 PM by chaunska »

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »

fox

It's a well known fact among traditional farmer types!  My mother (1914-1989) stated (quoting somebody) "A cow's rumen is a veritable Vitamin B factory." This is an example of "the food chain."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:15:05 PM by Montanabarb »

The Heretic

• Trusted Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Listen to what Chaunska has to say. There is nothing wrong with cooking food or heating a living area with the dung of animals that are herbivores. I have heard stories from my mother and father about using cow  chips to cook and heat with in the late 20's and early 30's right here in the good ol' US of A.
In the late 60's I was stationed in a remote area of Turkey while in the Army. The people there for the most part cooked and heated with a mixture of sheep, goat and cow dung and straw mixed with water and stomped by foot in a low bermed area until it was the right conistancy to be formed into loaves and baked in the sun till dry.
The dried loaves were stacked in a beehive configuration and plastered with mud and straw and allowed to  dry. That was their winter fuel along with what wood and coal they could find.

I was born and raised in Wyoming and in the spring about Mother's Day is when the "ditch weed" or wild asparagrass is ready to pick. The best you can find will grow right out of the middle of a "cow pie"!

And if a pig was following around grass eater....you bet I would eat that pig!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
http://www.kmov.com/story/28846711/detroit-zoo-to-turn-manure-from-its-animals-into-power
Detroit Zoo to turn manure from its animals into power
ROYAL OAK, Mich. (AP) - The Detroit Zoo is planning to turn abundant piles of animal manure into energy.
The zoo in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak says Monday that construction on the anaerobic biodigester begins this spring and will be completed this year.
The biodigester will turn about 400 tons of manure a year as well as other organic waste into methane-rich gas. This gas will be used to help power the 18,000-square-foot Ruth Roby Glancy Animal Health Complex, saving $70,000 to $80,000 in annual energy costs.
The system also will convert manure into compost that will be used to fertilize animal habitats, gardens and public spaces.
As part of the effort, the Michigan Economic Development Corp. and the Detroit Zoological Society are conducting a crowdfunding campaign.

Online:
http://www.detroitzoo.org
http://www.Patronicity.com/DetroitZoo