Author Topic: Rain Water  (Read 6033 times)

noproblemo2

Rain Water
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »
During rainy seasons if you put out some buckets/rain barrels you will get a lot of free water that can be used for your plants or household purposes in event of an emergency.

fox

• Members
Re: Rain Water
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Good idea. Large tanks in various colors (the most algae resistant are black) are available. Lots of Farm and ranch
supply stores sell them. Sizes vary from 100 gallons to several thousand gallons. Many folks hook these up to their
house gutters and fill them up rather quickly. A filter that lets a certain amount of water wash the roof before letting
it flow into the tank is needed to prevent dust, leaves etc. from going into the tank. It is amazing how much water
you can collect. I am thinking about getting something set up to collect lots of rainwater as a backup if the electricity
goes off. The only way I can get water is from 300' down in a well and "no electricity" - "no water". Of course these
tanks can also be filled from wherever your current supply comes from and saved. Be sure to get the black tanks or
paint your tank black. Otherwise green slimy algae WILL grow in them. It has to do with blocking the light from the
sun out.

http://www.watertanks.com/
http://rainwaterharvesting.tamu.edu/        (good information)
http://www.arcsa.org/                              (good information)
http://www.texrca.org/                             (photo only)

fox
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:02:22 PM by fox »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
I think it was on the old boards that I posted a video on how to make your own rain barrels. We made one from a used food grade barrel acquired from a restaurant. We fit it under our downspout on the house and it fills up nicely, then we attached a spigot to the bottom so we can use the water with the spout or attach the garden hose to it..Very very handy.

Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Here's a quick video and some instructions on making a rain barrel. I can't find the original video which I liked, but this gives you the idea! :)

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/conservation/rainbarrel/make-a-rain-barrel.html

Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

augonit

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
We've been thinking of getting rain barrels for a few years now.  I'd like to hook one up to my garage, but the downspout goes into the ground!  I'm hoping I can cut it and be able to put a barrel there.

Steve_T

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
We've been thinking of getting rain barrels for a few years now.  I'd like to hook one up to my garage, but the downspout goes into the ground!  I'm hoping I can cut it and be able to put a barrel there.

All you need is a hacksaw. Just set the barrel up right next to where you want it so you know exactly where to cut the spout.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »

My husband just cut the downspout to fit it, and then in the winter he re-attaches the cut off piece and puts the rain barrel in the garage.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »
Now that's a rain barrel!

Yeah! Never saw onw that size. May as well take advantage of all the good rain. Sometime in the near future the water even the rain could be temporarily contaminated when objects are falling from the skies etc.

noproblemo2

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
Now that's a rain barrel!
That's a pila, what we down here use for our household water to come into our homes.

Terigaddy

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:34 AM »
a 1000sf roof with 1 inch of rain will give you over 500 gallons of water!

I make sure that my "intake" is covered with fine mesh screen to keep out leaves, and other debris.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
You could talk to a plumber, and maybe get a old hot water heater that someone replaced. As long as it does not leak you have instant rain barrel with spigot.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I know that a video was posted before on how to build a water collection system and I found another that had a slightly different look-- I guess you can't have too much information about such things :)

MNT's Rainwater Collection System with Manifold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqznxPT_cY

You can also look to your local community center or county office-- since sustainability is such a chic idea now-some may offer a system or give you information on how to obtain an affordable one!

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
PB:  That is a great post, thanks for sharing it.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
Thank you Endtimesgal  :)

The person who made the video mentioned that he tried to keep costs down and stated that the:
Whole system cost less than $50 to construct
Which is so very helpful for those trying to pinch pennies!

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)