Author Topic: NEW YORK CITY COMMUNITY THREAD  (Read 1411 times)

NYCJC

NEW YORK CITY COMMUNITY THREAD
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »
Hi all, I am new to the board and looking to start a thread for like minded New Yorkers.

The objective is to share information in relation to your plan, as well as work together after any potential disaster.

Whatever the upcoming disaster may consist of, there will be a short window to band together and work together to survive. Lets start that process NOW!

As it stands I am working to pull together a comprehensive exit plan, and welcome anyone who feels they would like to contribute and cooperate to contact me via this thread.

NYCJC

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: NEW YORK CITY COMMUNITY THREAD
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »
Welcome to the Town Hall NYCJC! It's great to have you on board. Best wishes and continued success to you and your loved ones.

I'm a former (upstate) New Yorker and really miss the food. I dream of eating a good cheese steak sandwich, a slice (or 5) of real NY pizza, and some real Buffalo wings. Darn it! Now my stomach won't stop growling  ;)

Welcome!
Live long and prosper!

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
Welecome NYCJC glad to have you here.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
NYCJC,  8) it's really good to see this new Topic!
Very much needed.
All The Best,
Yowbarb             
Posted a welcome to you here.   

Re: Intro Board
« Reply #401 on: Today at 06:40:25 AM »
NYCJC
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=635.390

NYCJC

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks all for the Warm wishes!

If anyone knows of any like minded individuals in NYC, Upstate NY, or Pennsylvania, who would like to discuss future plans, if you could direct them here it would be most helpful.

As a city dweller, my main objective is to find a safe location to evacuate to after an Event. Best possible locations look to be in the Catskill Mountains, or the Appalachian Mountains, to the North or West. Any individuals with existing shelters in these locations would be helpful as well.

I do not have a shelter, but have a tremendous knowledge that I feel could be beneficial to any community that would be willing to welcome myself and my wife. I also am in process of getting protection that I could bring with me to help defend any community.

My goal here is to try and make some real life practical connections that would be mutually beneficial.

Thanks for the support, and please don't hesitate to ask for any support you may be seeking as well.

Sincerely,

NYCJC

NYCJC

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:04 PM »
http://www.zetatalk.com/info/tinfx007.htm

check out the following link for possible issues to come to NYC. Under this scenario there will be some signs, such as receding Atlantic.
Other theories put Planet X or Niburu in the sky as a sign. Some even claim they have seen the two suns.

If you have seen Two Suns in the sky, please share that here... with photo evidence.

Earthquakes bring issues with busted gas lines and fires.

or Nuclear Fallout also a potential hazard.

Do you stay and hole up? or do you flee into the open hazards?

:-\ :-X :-\ :-X :-\ :-X :-\ :-X

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
If I was in any city I would not wait for an event but get the heck out now while there aren't several thousand or millions of people trying to do the same thing as you.  If you really believe something is happening, don't wait till it's too late.

NYCJC

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Firstly, that's easier said than done. And by no means am I convinced that something IS going to happen. Its just a possibility. There is also the possibility that something does not occur.

With that said, someone who has a plan will certainly be better off, than someone who does not. That is the goal here!

Ever area should have a plan, this is just my attempt to bring together some form of plan to NYC, and to meet like minded people.

NO AREA IS SAFE! From my opinion, the only thing people can do is go about there lives, and if the information convinces them to leave, then and only then should they go.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:44:20 PM by NYCJC »

NYCJC

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
I have found several parcels of land that I am interested in exploring as a plan B. They are not expensive and would provide an open canvas to develop.

All of these parcels are withing 4 hrs of NYC by Car, and 2-3 Days journey by bike or foot.

I am looking for someone in the area with the know how to build a shelter with in a specific budget to work with me, and share expenses.

Please Private Message me if you are interested in discussing further.

NYCJC

NYCJC

EMERGENCY KIT/GO BAG
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
going to add to this post as I go along....

If you have any suggestions for a single Camping Backpack full of contents for carry off the island (per person), please place them here. This is in addition to any survival kit that should be kept on premises in case you have to bunker down in your apartment for multiple days. This seems to be my preferred method in case of blackout (up to 7 days),  food shortages (up to 2 weeks), Hurricanes and or Northeasters, and Snowstorms (up to 2 weeks). If Flooding, Earthquakes or Violence in the streets, then you should look to leave the island as easily and as undetected as possible. This is where a Go Bag off the island at a 1st Checkpoint is certainly a nice bonus. This should be within 10 15 miles so it can be biked or walked if necessary.

One source of information comes from the NYC.gov page on "Get Prepared". http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/get_prepared/supplies.shtml

Emergency Supply Kit

Keep enough supplies in your home to survive on your own, or shelter in place, for at least three days. If possible, keep these materials in an easily accessible, separate container or special cupboard. You should indicate to your household members that these supplies are for emergencies only. Check expiration dates of food and update your kits when you change your clock during daylight-saving times.

* One gallon of drinking water per person per day
    * Non-perishable, ready-to-eat canned foods and manual can opener and or MRE's
    * First aid kit
    * Flashlight* Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries (you can also buy wind-up radios/flashlight combo that do not require batteries)
    * Whistle
    * Iodine tablets or one quart of unscented bleach (for disinfecting water ONLY if directed to do so by health officials) and eyedropper (for adding bleach to water)
    * Personal hygiene items: soap, feminine hygiene products, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.
    * Phone that does not rely on electricity
    * Child care supplies or other special care items
    * Dust Mask or Scarf to reduce airborne particles
    * Axe/Hatchet
    * Handgun/Shotgun/Knife

Go Bag

Every household should pack a Go Bag - a collection of items you may need in the event of an evacuation. A Go Bag should be packed in a sturdy, easy-to-carry container such as a backpack or suitcase on wheels. A Go Bag should be easily accessible if you have to leave your home in a hurry. Make sure it is ready to go at all times of the year.

* Copies of your important documents in a waterproof and portable container (insurance cards, photo IDs, proof of address, etc.) Photos of Family
    * Extra set of car and house keys
    * Local Map or Atlas
    * Paper, marker, tape, List of Phone Numbers/Emergency Contacts
    * Credit and ATM cards and cash, especially in small denominations. We recommend you keep at least $50-$100 on hand. Quarters for Phone
    * Bottled water and non-perishable food such as energy or granola bars
    * Flashlight
      Note: Traditional flashlight bulbs have limited lifespans. Light Emitting Diode (LED) flashlights, however, are more durable and last up to 10 times longer than traditional bulbs.
    * Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries
    * Keep a list of the medications each member of your household takes, why they take them, and their dosages. Medication information and other essential personal items. If you store extra medication in your Go Bag, be sure to refill it before it expires.
    * First-aid kit
    * Contact and meeting place information for your household, and a small regional map
    * Child care supplies or other special care items
    * Dust Mask or Scarf
    * Extra Warm Clothes, including Jeans, Sweatshirts, Underwear, Socks (several pairs), Sturdy Shoes/Boots

DO NOT FORGET:
   * Lock your home and shut off the water and electricity, but leave gas on unless instructed otherwise. (GAS IS LOCATED BEHIND YOUR STOVE IN CASE YOU NEED TO MANUALLY SHUT IT OFF!!!!!)

other resources:
http://72hours.org/go_bag.html

NYCJC

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
This was posted on a very informative blog and has direct information for NYC (or any City dweller).

He discusses the choice between Bug-Out and Bug-In.

See Link:
http://nyc-survival.blogspot.com/2011/04/e-mail-call.html

NYCJC

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
NYC Office of Emergency Management: Emergency Preparedness Guide
http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/household_guide.pdf

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »
A good article at http://secretsofurbansurvival.com/918/time-to-baton-down-the-hatches/comment-page-1 .

[start excerpt]
Buy extra of the food you already eat.

At LEAST stock up on REALLY simple food, like Minute Rice, instant oatmeal, and cans of beans, Rotel, and vegetables. They’re not going to win you any awards for nutrition, but they’re cheap to stock up on, easy to prepare, and they’ll give you calories and stick to your tummy. By the way…on the bad nutrition note, I’m a big fan of SPAM and instant potatoes when hiking/camping. It’s a cheap, utilitarian comfort food for me and I suggest you find something similar for yourself.

If you go this route of cheap calories/protein, make sure to plan on a good multi-vitamin, enzymes, and some source of fat.

Make sure you have a minimum of 7 gallons per person/large pet in your household, and more if possible. In most houses, you’ll have 7 gallons per person in your water heater. I cover the proper way to maintain your water heater so the water inside will be drinkable when you need it and how to get it out safely in the SurviveInPlace.com Survival Course.

Get a mechanical (non-electronic) water filter that is rated for viruses. Most aren’t.

Get control of your mind. Start getting disciplined about not “worrying” about anything and only letting your mind linger on problems that you have the ability to change in the immediate future.

Get in shape. Wherever you’re at, fitness wise, get in better shape. It will improve EVERY aspect of your life now, and will allow you to handle stressful situations better.

Consider who you’d let double up with you and who you’d want to double up with if that became a necessity and work on building those relationships.

On the topic of relationships, do whatever you can to strengthen your relationships in your home.
[excerpt]

I have also posted another excerpt in http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=1614.0 .
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:27:21 AM by Jimfarmer »

Squidwrd

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »
I'm in NYC now, I am putting together supplies. I sure would like to meet up in person if anyone else is interested, let's talk about it here. How many are in NYC?

josephjones

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »
I'm from upstate (Rochester). ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:44:25 AM by Joey Jones »