Author Topic: Lack of Money  (Read 25980 times)

mellisa lawrence

Re: Lack of Money
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
well new to this site but  its nice to know im not looseing my mind and there r more like me!!!!just dont know what ill do when it hits im all alone ....guess i will see when it happens...

dougluvn

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »
 I say avoid taking on new debt.  i can't give any conpelling reason why....other than just NO.  I plan on being nomadic.  I live down river from hoover damn but high enough where the waters will not get to where my house is nor where  my safe place is.  Also 2 rivers meet, and we are 60 miles north of the ocean.  I'll be getting more fishing gear, and i am reading and learning to skin animals and flint knapping.  I am thinking long term not for the first 2 weeks...then what.  I am not stocking up on food I am stocking up on knowledge and the TOOLS  I'll need.

O as got making large buys via credit.  I was in the need of a vehicle so we got a ford ranger 4X4 V-6.  if is small and can get in and out of tight places off road, but large enough to carry the family and our stuff.  Yea it will at some point become a pile of usless metal but it's intent is only for when the dust gets kicked up during the time when every one is acting stupid.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Welcome mellisa lawrence you may find some help here you might find people in your area?

dougluvn no debt not a bad idea, stocking up on knowledge great we may all need to go nomadic in the future but some food would not hurt rice and beans are cheap.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »
well new to this site but  its nice to know I'm not losing my mind and there r more like me!!!!just don't know what ill do when it hits I'm all alone ....guess i will see when it happens...

Mellisa, welcome to the Town Hall.  :)
Nice name. My niece Melissa spells it with one l and two ss.
I am glad that being here lets you feel less alone, that's mainly what it's for and sharing whatever survival info we can get.
I wish you the best of luck in meeting other Members, good people with whom you can learn, network, maybe eventually form a community.
- Yowbarb

noproblemo2

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 05:32:26 AM »
Welcome Mellisa and Dougluvn nice to have you here.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
I say avoid taking on new debt.  i can't give any conpelling reason why....other than just NO.  I plan on being nomadic.  I live down river from hoover damn but high enough where the waters will not get to where my house is nor where  my safe place is.  Also 2 rivers meet, and we are 60 miles north of the ocean.  I'll be getting more fishing gear, and i am reading and learning to skin animals and flint knapping.  I am thinking long term not for the first 2 weeks...then what.  I am not stocking up on food I am stocking up on knowledge and the TOOLS  I'll need.

O as got making large buys via credit.  I was in the need of a vehicle so we got a ford ranger 4X4 V-6.  if is small and can get in and out of tight places off road, but large enough to carry the family and our stuff.  Yea it will at some point become a pile of usless metal but it's intent is only for when the dust gets kicked up during the time when every one is acting stupid.

Dougluvn welcome to the Town Hall,
Yowbarb   
(Thought I had posted a welcome to you but I don't see it here.)  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

For anyone interested I started a Topic just now it contains links to survival products recommended by Marshall and also by Sheila Dean ... see short version below. Links to several good and not so expensive items are all in the Topic,
Yowbarb

Members’ Notices
May 10 BLOGTALK Radio show/not too late to listen/follow links/survival products
Started by Yowbarb
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2303.0

dougluvn

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
I like the survival lists.  I go through them and look for ideas and see what the common items are.  One that I do not see alot and I find it odd is toilet paper...come on folks every one wants a clean arse.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
dougluvn I was going to post quantity but decided against it but it is a good idea to stock a lot of toilet paper.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 05:40:25 AM »
I like the survival lists.  I go through them and look for ideas and see what the common items are.  One that I do not see alot and I find it odd is toilet paper...come on folks every one wants a clean arse.

Global Moderator Susan has cranked out some pretty darned good lists (I helped a bit) and I thought that was covered!
Good thing to cover.
Yowbarb

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »
"One that I do not see alot and I find it odd is toilet paper..."

OK, let's take it one step further.  What to do when the supply runs out?  What did people do before toilet paper was invented?   What are the alternatives?  Not everybody uses toilet paper now; what do they do?

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
Before Pampers we used cloth diapers and washed them to use again, I guess we could do the same thing with washcloths to wipe ourselves.  ;D

It would be better than leaves since you know someone would end up using poison ivy.  :-[

Bob

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
"Not everybody uses toilet paper now; what do they do?"

In the South Pacific, at least, they defecated in the ocean.  Especially, as far out on the reef as possible when the tide was out.  (Personal knowledge)

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
Personall, I purchased a sizable quantity of wipes. They take up less room, and are more efficient. Sooner or later, whatever we stock up, will be used up. I don't look forward to that time.   ed

dougluvn

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
"One that I do not see alot and I find it odd is toilet paper..."

OK, let's take it one step further.  What to do when the supply runs out?  What did people do before toilet paper was invented?   What are the alternatives?  Not everybody uses toilet paper now; what do they do?

Corn cobs...you use 2 brown ones then 1 white one.    that was what my granny told me any way. 

On that topic of things running out.....every thing will out. ammo, 1st aid kits, wet naps, ect.....But if nothing else it will ween us off it.

I have taken that all into concideration. I am looking for a bow and arrow.  they are reuseable,  i am learningt o skin animals and tan hides....as clothes will wear out at some point too.