Author Topic: Distilling and Purifying Water  (Read 10555 times)

errrv

Distilling and Purifying Water
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Howdy,
I've been looking for a great reverse osmosis hand pump for awhile. These are usually quite expensive, but I found one on eBay for $125. You should check them out while they are still available! Very compact & packable, although they do weigh in at 10lbs or so. Next to keeping your head, water procurement is going to be a BIG issue as most water will be contaminated.

Cheers, erv

noproblemo2

Re: Distilling and Purifying Water
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
erv, Thanks, very good info to know.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »
Howdy,
I've been looking for a great reverse osmosis hand pump for awhile. These are usually quite expensive, but I found one on eBay for $125. You should check them out while they are still available! Very compact & packable, although they do weigh in at 10lbs or so. Next to keeping your head, water procurement is going to be a BIG issue as most water will be contaminated.

Cheers, erv

Errv thanks for this info!
- Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Well, I guess folks have read my reverse osmosis pump article above, because the price jumped from $125 to $450. I just went to buy a spare! YIKES!!!

Another note; everybody always buys the water purification tablets. A couple of cons: they are expensive, they go bad fairly fast... If they are grey, they are bad. Believe me, when water is scarce, you definitely don't want dysentery... Dehydration will kill you very quickly!

Buy a couple of eyedropper bottles from the drug store and a gallon of bleach. One drop per canteen (pint) or two per liter. If the water is muddy or murky, strain first through cotton fabric, then treat.

If you are stationary, build a teepee about 4 ft tall. At 3 separate intervals build 3 tarps (cotton fabric works best) across, allowing room under the bottom one for your water bottle. In the top tarp place gravel, in the second place charcoal, in the third place sand. Pour water into the top and let it trickle down to the bottom. This will clean out a hefty portion of particles in the water.

Use tarps to gather rainwater, however, once the volcanoes go & once we cross the tail, the water gathered from the sky will be tainted with all kinds of unspeakable crap & will become undrinkable. Underground water sources or stored water is a must!
If temperatures run high, it takes a lot of water just to survive. My last trip to Iraq, the outside temp averaged 155 fareinheit  and we used 5 gallons of water per man per day.

Remember the rule of threes: your body can go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, & 3 weeks without food. Note: this is based on a person who is in decent physical shape.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
Hey errrv,

"reverse osmosis hand pump"  As I remember from some work a few years ago,  the reverse osmosis process discards six gallons of water for each gallon of clean water produced.  Is that correct?  Maybe or maybe not a problem, depending on supply.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks Errrv also it has been posted here before, water conservation is good but do not dehydrate yourself there have been people found dead in the desert with water in their canteen because they were trying to stretch it out when they might have lived if they had drank it before they lost a rational thought process.

errrv

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Alright, I've got 4 of these. I'm selling them for cost. I gotta get $90 plus $11.00 flat rate shipping ($101.00 for all you marines out there :) they are selling for $900 online. I'm just covering my cost... Not even covering my gas to town to get these to the post office. Hope you guys can use them!!!

I'll post info below:
PM me if u want one. I know I was hit up for these when I originally posted, but I have since cleaned out the inbox. Sorry :(
These are packed from 1992, used in Navy/Marine oceanbound craft, and are new in pkg w/ instructions. See below.

http://m.campingsurvival.com/kahaemdewama.html

This Katadyn Hand-Operated Emergency Desalination Water Maker is the smallest make of it's kind in the world. Sea water/ salt water purification, treatment, desalination.
Compact and lightweight water maker
Recommended for emergency liferafts and individual survival kits
Trusted by militaries and individuals around the globe
Small picture above details how the water maker works. Click to make it larger. PLEASE NOTE: Katadyn items CANNOT be shipped outside of the USA. Specifications:
Water maker Production (+/- 15%): 1 oz/2 min (890 ml/hour)
Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg)
Dimensions: 5" x 8" x 2.5" (12.7 x 20.3 x 6.4 cm)
Salt Rejection: 98.4% average (95.3% minimum)
Average Pump Rate: 40 strokes/minute
US Coast Guard Approval Number for the water maker: 160.058/7/0
Katadyn's patented Energy Recovery System In the 1980s, the US Navy identified the need for a portable, hand-operated desalinator to provide emergency fresh water for sailors and downed pilots. We responded with an innovative solution that made it possible: The Energy Recovery System or water maker In order to remove dissolved salts from seawater with a reverse osmosis membrane, extremely high pressures must be generated. Traditionally, powerful motors and large amounts of energy were used to generate the necessary pressures. This was no problem for large vessels that had plenty of power and space to spare. Therefore, fresh water was a luxury that few sailors could afford. The Katadyn Energy Recovery system takes advantage of stored energy in the high pressure reject water that is typically wasted. The pressurized reject water is recirculated to the back side of the piston to aid the next stroke. This energy is kept in the system, resulting in less work to achieve fresh water. With this unique technology, we were able to develop the first, and only, manual desalinators (water maker) in the world. The same technology that allowed efficient hand operation was adapted to higher output power units to give energy-efficient cruisers access to the "luxury" of fresh water on demand. Today, water makers have almost become standard equipment, and Katadyn leads the way with the most energy efficient solutions. Note also that the 06 requires regular maintenance. You can perform the required biocide application yourself (biocide is included when you purchase the pump), but every few years it is a good idea to have the complete pump serviced.

errrv

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
3 left. If you guys don't buy them, they are going to be put up on eBay for $500 each.
:)
Erv

errrv

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
Howdy everyone! I have (2) reverse osmosis pumps- katadyne brand- left. If anyone wants one please let me know... I'm about to send them back to the guy I got them from.
Erv

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
Stainless Steel Non-Electric Distiller  at http://www.everythingkitchens.com/waterwise-nonelectric-distiller.html

$387.00

angeltoes2000

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
That's a GREAT product ! Thanks for finding. I was just watching a crazy scary video called Esoteric Agenda .. it included parts about the drugging and poisoning of the population through the food and water supply (currently) and I was thinking I need to start distilling my water so avoid the fluoride (rat poison) etc that is in our water.
 :o

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
Hi All My post updated (13 Oct 2012) I jsut merged my topic, all about water purification and storage of water into Jim's Topic. Erv Felkner's old Topic merged in too. He always did have some good ideas. Could be a few stray posts or topics in other Boards, about water, but they will mainly be here in "Finding Potable Water." We do have some Amazon site water supplies posted here and there; videos too.
This is the comprehensive Topic for purifying water, distilling, storing in a hygienic manner , carrying it, caching it, etc. There are other topics here in this Board about water in the wilderness etc.

For starters, this site, EDIS has several links
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
Barb Townsend
Topic Admin
>>>> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy744  Several links to complete information

Hurricane Preparation: A Q&A Guide to Water and Food Safety and Quality1
Amy Simonne and Ronald Schmidt2

Download pdf: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY74400.pdf 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:01:50 PM by Yowbarb »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
I am storing both distilled and tap water.

Distilled water stays in it's plastic gallon containers.  I hope that they are safe for a few months.

Hot tap water goes into used plastic gallon containers with a cupful of colloidal silver solution.  The heat of the water should have evaporated out at least some of the chlorine and at least damaged some of the bad microbes.  The colloidal silver should kill the remaining viruses (virii?) and bacteria -- I hope.  The containers are labelled and dated.  I have an electronic gadget that makes colloidal silver solution by the quart. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
I am storing both distilled and tap water.

Distilled water stays in it's plastic gallon containers.  I hope that they are safe for a few months.

Hot tap water goes into used plastic gallon containers with a cupful of colloidal silver solution.  The heat of the water should have evaporated out at least some of the chlorine and at least damaged some of the bad microbes.  The colloidal silver should kill the remaining viruses (virii?) and bacteria -- I hope.  The containers are labelled and dated.  I have an electronic gadget that makes colloidal silver solution by the quart.

Jim, that sounds like it should work...
Great thing that colloidal silver producer.
My son used to have a co-worker who would bring one to work and hand out cups of the water from it.
It definitely helps...
Barb T.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if there is a discussion on the type of portable filtration devices available. I've been stocking up on food, and ammunition and have really neglected water. I'm considering purchasing a Katadyn water filtration device, and also purchase the purification water tablets they provide. My thought is when the crap hits the fan there will be a better chance to find dirty water sources, than clean water.. Also if I have to bug out it will be easier to carry a filtering device than it would gallons of water. For example, I would go to a nearby stream and get whatever water i need and bring it back to my bug-in location. I would then place the water purification tablets in to kill any viruses, and after waiting the appropriate time i would then filter the water.

I'm very interested in the Katadyn Combi http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-combi/. Not only is it a micro filter, but it also has a carbon filter to filter out smells and bad taste. It will also filter 13000 gallons of water. Plus the ceramic filter is easy to clean. At a price of 159.00 I would think it would be cheaper than having to stock water you would eventually have to bug-out without! Please let me know if any of you have suggestions or experiences with similar devices. Thanks...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:36:29 PM by willsorr75 »
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will