Author Topic: Distilling and Purifying Water  (Read 11384 times)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Distilling and Purifying Water
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »
I have also been searching for a good water filtration system.  This one seems like an excellent buy to me, as I think most of the ones I have seen so far, were more in the $200.00 range.  I also liked the look of their smaller hiker pro model for only $84.95.  That may be the one I end up purchasing, mainly due to economics, but also due to portability.  Thanks for the link, it is really one of the last major items I have yet to purchase from "my list".

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 07:53:02 AM »
I too need purification devices.  I am stocking up on regular water now, but I thought, if I'm foraging in the woods and dying of thirst, I need a portable filtration device.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
I have also been searching for a good water filtration system.  This one seems like an excellent buy to me, as I think most of the ones I have seen so far, were more in the $200.00 range.  I also liked the look of their smaller hiker pro model for only $84.95.  That may be the one I end up purchasing, mainly due to economics, but also due to portability.  Thanks for the link, it is really one of the last major items I have yet to purchase from "my list".

No problem, I hope it serves you well if you buy one. I've heard the hiker pro is an excellent choice and read many reviews. I ordered the Combi this morning and can't wait to try it out. I went with the Combi due to the size of my family, and wanted to make sure i got something suitable. I also order extra carbon packets and some of their purification tablets. The endurance series can also handle dirtier water. We have a few ponds where i live, so if the crap hits the fan I'll be able to supply water for my family for years as long as it doesn't break. 13000 gallons is a ton of water. I'll probably get a couple of 32 gallon garbage cans to collect water when it rains as well. I just have to put up a privacy fence to keep nosy people away.

If you get the hiker pro let me know how it does. I might get one also so I have something small to carry while foraging. I'll come back with my results once I receive mine. I might even do a video for you all to see if there is enough interest. Good luck to you!
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
I too need purification devices.  I am stocking up on regular water now, but I thought, if I'm foraging in the woods and dying of thirst, I need a portable filtration device.

I've tried several times to stock water, but find myself and family drinking it because it tastes better than our tap water. :)

It's funny how water is the most important of all preparation items, but so easy to overlook.
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

No problem, I hope it serves you well if you buy one. I've heard the hiker pro is an excellent choice and read many reviews. I ordered the Combi this morning and can't wait to try it out. I went with the Combi due to the size of my family, and wanted to make sure i got something suitable. I also order extra carbon packets and some of their purification tablets. The endurance series can also handle dirtier water. We have a few ponds where i live, so if the crap hits the fan I'll be able to supply water for my family for years as long as it doesn't break. 13000 gallons is a ton of water. I'll probably get a couple of 32 gallon garbage cans to collect water when it rains as well. I just have to put up a privacy fence to keep nosy people away.

If you get the hiker pro let me know how it does. I might get one also so I have something small to carry while foraging. I'll come back with my results once I receive mine. I might even do a video for you all to see if there is enough interest. Good luck to you!

It's on my wish list for now, hope to be able to order it soon.  Glad to hear you placed your order. A video would be great, we would appreciate it!

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »

Has anyone come up with a really good DIY Water Distiller or source to purchase that are non-electric? I had been under the erroneous assumption that good filtration and purification would be enough, but now I wonder...we have over 70 active volcanoes going and more are to be in our future.

The volcanic ash is heavy with lead from the dense earth mantle and other toxic heavy metals so rain catchment, ground water and even some well sources most probably will be contaminated. We can only survive a few short days without water, same for our animals and plants, it could be a good while before our atmosphere can clear of all the airborne debri...the Zeta's swear that distillation is the only way to protect ourselves...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

Has anyone come up with a really good DIY Water Distiller or source to purchase that are non-electric? I had been under the erroneous assumption that good filtration and purification would be enough, but now I wonder...we have over 70 active volcanoes going and more are to be in our future.

The volcanic ash is heavy with lead from the dense earth mantle and other toxic heavy metals so rain catchment, ground water and even some well sources most probably will be contaminated. We can only survive a few short days without water, same for our animals and plants, it could be a good while before our atmosphere can clear of all the airborne debri...the Zeta's swear that distillation is the only way to protect ourselves...

Survival101 that is a really good question. I just moved this Topic to Michael's Board, Finding Potable Water.
Will try to get a good article and post it here.
Also videos and other ideas. This will be a good place for a"catch all" - pun intended.  ;)
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »

Jim Farmer posted a distillation product that looks good.
See:  http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=3410.0

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

Thank you...! Yes, I seen this one before, it's built with good 316 Stainless Steel, produces about 15-16 gallons per 24 hours and can be used (with caution) over any kind of heating source. It's very hard to find any inexpensive distillers that are made with quality and durability, the bare minimum setup of stainless steel tubing and hi-temp plastic tubing is $200. As important as this issue is, we won't be bragging about a discount when it can't serve us...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if there is a discussion on the type of portable filtration devices available. I've been stocking up on food, and ammunition and have really neglected water. I'm considering purchasing a Katadyn water filtration device, and also purchase the purification water tablets they provide. My thought is when the crap hits the fan there will be a better chance to find dirty water sources, than clean water.. Also if I have to bug out it will be easier to carry a filtering device than it would gallons of water. For example, I would go to a nearby stream and get whatever water i need and bring it back to my bug-in location. I would then place the water purification tablets in to kill any viruses, and after waiting the appropriate time i would then filter the water.

I'm very interested in the Katadyn Combi http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-combi/. Not only is it a micro filter, but it also has a carbon filter to filter out smells and bad taste. It will also filter 13000 gallons of water. Plus the ceramic filter is easy to clean. At a price of 159.00 I would think it would be cheaper than having to stock water you would eventually have to bug-out without! Please let me know if any of you have suggestions or experiences with similar devices. Thanks...

Good Afternoon, Will
I just put together three topics on water purification... There will be more posts, answers on what are the good products. There are perhaps 3-4 products posted in this newly merged Topic, earlier in the topics, including one of your suggestions.
I will be looking in military sites to see what looks like good products at good prices...
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

Hi All My post updated (13 Oct 2012) I just merged my topic, all about water purification into Jim's Topic. Erv Felkner's old Topic merged in too. He always did have some good ideas. Could be a few stray posts or topics in other Boards, about water, but they will mainly be here in "Finding Potable Water." We do have some Amazon site water supplies posted here and there; videos too.
This is the comprehensive Topic for purifying water, distilling, etc. There are other topics here in this Board about water in the wilderness etc. Note: We have another Topic about storing water.

For starters, this site, EDIS has several links
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
Barb Townsend
Topic Admin
>>>> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy744  Several links to complete information

Hurricane Preparation: A Q&A Guide to Water and Food Safety and Quality1
Amy Simonne and Ronald Schmidt2

Download pdf: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY74400.pdf

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
Yowbarb Note: I saw this posted tonight:  How To Make A Solar Still
I haven't tried this. Looks like it could be good.  :)
Pls Note: Completely illustrated instructions on this page, below.
The Homesteading Survivalist Blogspot  http://homesteadingsurvivalism.blogspot.com/

dimanche 10 février 2013 How to Make a Solar Still.
Make your own distilled water from stream or lake water, salt water, or even brackish, dirty water, using these DIY Solar Still plans

How to Make a Solar Still.
Make your own distilled water from stream or lake water, salt water, or even brackish, dirty water, using these DIY Solar Still plans

Mark and cut the plywood pieces according to the cutting list on the solar still plan. Cut the angled end pieces with a circular saw or tablesaw set to a 9 degree angle.

Cut the insulation the same size as the plywood base, then screw both to the 2 x 4 supports with 2 1/2-inch screws.

Screw the first layer of front and side pieces to the base and to each other, then add the back piece. Predrill the screws with a countersink bit.

Glue and screw the remaining front and side pieces on, using clamps to hold them together as you predrill and screw. Use 1 1/4-inch screws to laminate the pieces together and 2-inch screws to join the corners.

Glue and screw the hinged door pieces together, aligning the bottom and side edges, then set the door in position and screw on the hinges. Add a pull or knob at the center.

Paint the inside of the box with black high-temperature paint. Cover the back and the door with reflective foil glued with contact cement. Let the paint dry for several days so that all the solvents evaporate off.

Apply weatherseal around the edges of the hinged door to make the door airtight.

Drill a hole for the PEX drain. The top of the PEX is 1/2-inch down from the top edge. Clamp a scrap piece to the inside so the drill bit doesn’t splinter the wood when it goes through.

Mark the first 19 inches of PEX, then cut it in half with a utility knife. Score it lightly at first to establish the cut lines.

Drill three 1/8-inch holes in the side of the PEX for screws, then insert the PEX through the hole. Butt it tight against the other side, then screw it in place, sloping it about 1/4 inches.

Wipe a thick bead of silicone caulk along the top edge of the PEX to seal it against the plywood.

Shim the box level and tack a temporary stop to the top edge to make it easy to place the glass without smearing the caulk. Spread a generous bead of caulk on all the edges, then lay the glass in place. Tape it down around the edges with painter’s tape, then let it set up overnight.

source:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=2147507252&seq=1

http://homesteadingsurvivalism.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:36:27 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
Also posted in Michael Marcus Board, Surviving on the Move. - Yowbarb

Water Purification Techniques   11:34  165,132 Views

LINK:   http://youtu.be/ELBKBY-XY6w

Uploaded on Jul 5, 2009 
http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com
Uploaded on Jul 5, 2009 

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
We have 200 gallons of water on hand that we accumulated 10 gallons at a time at Albertsons.   They sell 10 gallons for 10 dollars so we grabbed 10 every time we went grocery shopping.  I really can't accumulate more without buying a trailer. 

We also bought the best water filtration system Cabella's had at the time (2011 I think it was) along with extra filters.  I think we can filter something like 20,000 gallons.  It was a little pricey but worth it. 

True.  This is not a lifetime solution for providing clean water, but it is a lot more than most sheepole have.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
We have 200 gallons of water on hand that we accumulated 10 gallons at a time at Albertsons.   They sell 10 gallons for 10 dollars so we grabbed 10 every time we went grocery shopping.  I really can't accumulate more without buying a trailer. 

We also bought the best water filtration system Cabella's had at the time (2011 I think it was) along with extra filters.  I think we can filter something like 20,000 gallons.  It was a little pricey but worth it. 

True.  This is not a lifetime solution for providing clean water, but it is a lot more than most sheepole have.

JKB, you are right it is a lot more than most people have accumulated.  ;)
- Yowbarb