Author Topic: Obama likely to withdraw 10,000 US troops from Afghanistan  (Read 4771 times)

Scot68

Obama likely to withdraw 10,000 US troops from Afghanistan
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
I wounder if they are bringing some many home because of everything that might happen here in the USA

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Obama likely to withdraw 10,000 US troops from Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »
Hey Scot68 and welcome to the town hall. It would be helpful when quoting sites or persons to include the "link" to that article. It is just helpful{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
I wounder if they are bringing some many home because of everything that might happen here in the USA

That's always a possibility...

Scot68

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
Sorry about that.. here is the link..

I just don't understand pulling some many out of there so fast.. It will make it unsafe for the ones left..

http://www.windstream.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9O0C7JG0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
Bringing the troops home, is a mixed bag of goodies, some are good, some bad. If there were to be a disaster, the troops would most likely be brought home, in advance.   ed

Scot68

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
That is what I am think too Ed. That they know more that what they are saying and telling everyone. I would not know about any of this if it wasn't for a Video on Youtube..  We all know our Goverment would never hold information from us and they would never lie to us.....  If only that was true...  :(

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
Agreed Scot.  ed

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Some of the 'talk' I have been hearing is that we can't send troops into Libya or any other 'Theater'
until we pull some out from somewhere else. Time will tell of course but the area around Turkey and
Syria may be fixing to heat up. If Turkey locks horns with Syria then the U.S. is obligated by the NATO
treaty to lend a hand. The U.S. is also obligated to NATO concerning Libya but so far has been doing its
utmost to stay out of it. Probably because all of our troops are committed to other areas......
  It would be great to give our Boys and Gals a rest in my humble opinion. So I hope they get pulled out and
can kick their feet back for a while.
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

billy861

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
We(USA) have about 1.5 million active members in the armed forces.. another 800 thousand or so, in our reserve components...  10,000 troops is not a huge increase to any trouble we might have here at home..... However, many of the personnel on the ground over there are, Army National Guard.. Whom are trained for Homeland security, in particular to the state in which they serve..  Currently, we have approximately 400,000 or so Army National Guard members serving our country... so again, 10k.. IDK... Also, I heard the number was more like 5k...

PAX et Bonum
William ;D

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
Billy, the number of personnel coming home isn't the important part. The fact that bringing troops home, is starting, is the important event.  ed

Scot68

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
That is what I am saying too.. it is still way to unstable over there to leave.. Any good that we have done over there will be undone with in a year of leaving and it will be right back to the way it was..

billy861

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
That is very true Scott...  Ed, now I'm reading that the pres will be bringing home 30,000, by the end of next summer... I didn't think we had much more than that over there.. Not to mention, that's very close to election time.. Anyone recall 1972, Nixon's re-election year? He pulled the troops out of Nam, Scott's scenario took place rather quickly.. Nixon won ...  Of course, it didn't stick for him..

Scot68

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
No matter how yo ulook at it something big I think with happen this year. I don't know what I should worry more about. This thing in space or the way the US in falling apart..   As far as money goes I am not look forward to seeing what will take place on Aug 2nd  and as far as space goes I wish I know what was really going on.. If I need to hurry up and get to the central US or what :-\

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
No matter how yo ulook at it something big I think with happen this year. I don't know what I should worry more about. This thing in space or the way the US in falling apart..   As far as money goes I am not look forward to seeing what will take place on Aug 2nd  and as far as space goes I wish I know what was really going on.. If I need to hurry up and get to the central US or what :-\
August the 2nd? What is the significance if that date? 1st time I heard that one mentioned. Thanks...

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
Billy, what you read and what is true are different things. In 1972, when everyone thought we were pulling out of Nam, the north launched the Easter offensive, with the most assets used in an attack, even more than Tet. I was part of a Marine unit sent in to assist in stopping the advancing NVA. Our presence,(unknown) cost me and a couple of others a Purple Heart. How could I get wounded, if I wasn't there? Needless to say, we stopped them, and assured our places in hell, by killing over 250 thousand people. We helped bring the North to the peace talks, and it ended in 1973. So, as far as troop pullouts, it might be just a shuffle. Nobody knew, but we dug out an airfield in Thailand, and kept hitting the North, mercilessly. Most people, and Marines, don't know we had a base in Thailand. I was advanced party, with the SeaBees. Jungle today, airfield tomorrow. Not fun.     ed