Author Topic: DOOMSDAY PREPARATION: This Topic is no longer just about the TV show.  (Read 21167 times)

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: DOOMSDAY PREPARATION: This Topic is no longer just about the TV show.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
Thanks, you guys found the situation. I bet that poor man wished he had never gone on NG to be fodder for that story.
He'd been better off being a hermit, looks like.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:13 AM »
Hope he gets enough signatures to make a difference!!  Atleast I can feel like I've done something now....

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
Thanks, you guys found the situation. I bet that poor man wished he had never gone on NG to be fodder for that story.
He'd been better off being a hermit, looks like.

Yeah but...
You found and provided assistance, comfort and hope!
Couldn't ask for more.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »
Well maybe he can manage to escape the shrinks and still defend himself...

errrv

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
Just watched a bit on Saturday. I really like the guy out in LA who lives out of a tiny pack and says he eats weeds. Even had a bottle of vinaigrette dressing in his pack. Hope we can all see that's how we need to be & work towards it. Nomad lifestyle.
Erv

fox

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
I have been uneasy about the preppers who were going on this show from the get go. The only ones who might not be sitting ducks are the ones who seem to be getting their community involved. I wonder how NGO convinced them to appear? Were they paid? Most of them are not rich and might have welcomed money. But now they are known and exposed not only to the folks who might steal from them but to the goverment. Sad.

fox

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
People's motivations can be lost on us/others.  Sometimes it's for bragging rights.  Sometimes they just get caught up in the hype.
I find that I REALLY have to mind my OpSec.  I see things and hear comments, my wife looks at me and I just turn and walk away.

Erv,
  I agree on the salad dressing.  I have started a "daily travel pack" with condiments.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
I have been uneasy about the preppers who were going on this show from the get go. The only ones who might not be sitting ducks are the ones who seem to be getting their community involved. I wonder how NGO convinced them to appear? Were they paid? Most of them are not rich and might have welcomed money. But now they are known and exposed not only to the folks who might steal from them but to the goverment. Sad.

fox

I hope whatever they were paid was worth it.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
I also love this show, but cannot believe they were willing to go on national television to show what preps they have made.  And so sad that this event is already affecting their lives now, let alone what is in store when things start to pop.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
I actually like the show.  I've picked up a few tips from them.  But, compared to those people, I am woefully unprepared!  (With the exception of the kid in the apartment and the truck driver.  I have more stuff than they do, except weapons).

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
Steedy, I can relate to what you say, I am trying to figure out myself if we have a lot of supplies or not.  On paper it sounds impressive, but in comparison to what we are seeing on this show, it looks like hardly anything. We have a bank of cabinets 24' long by 8' tall, filled with food and lots of buckets of stuff done up with mylar, but I think it is a drop in the pan to what these people have, not to mention the foodie gal, her stash boggles the mind!  It makes me want to go out and buy tons more food, and my daughter as a result of the first two shows went out and spent several hundreds of dollars on more food supplies.  We are presently prepping for 8 people as a result of reducing the size of the original group.

I know we do not have enough water stored, but we have a creek, and a separate pond and many springs on the property so we are hoping we will fare well.  We also have a well which we are presently looking into putting a hand pump on, one outfit wanted $1500.00 to do it, we are checking other avenues.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
My water supply is pretty pathetic.  I have it stored in 2L bottles.  I have 15 gallons so far.  I have other water in cases that I don't count since my Mom drinks it all the time.  This year I want to get at least 1 rain barrel and 1 or 2 mylar water storage barrels.  I thought I couldn't lift to carry it from the basement, where I store most of my stuff. So I thought I'd put one near the kitchen.

One tip that I'm going to use from the show is to hide stuff inside my house (I have a couple hidden areas nobody would know about), and to also have supplies somewhere else.  I'll work on that this summer.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »
My water supply is pretty pathetic.  I have it stored in 2L bottles.  I have 15 gallons so far.  I have other water in cases that I don't count since my Mom drinks it all the time.  This year I want to get at least 1 rain barrel and 1 or 2 mylar water storage barrels.  I thought I couldn't lift to carry it from the basement, where I store most of my stuff. So I thought I'd put one near the kitchen.

One tip that I'm going to use from the show is to hide stuff inside my house (I have a couple hidden areas nobody would know about), and to also have supplies somewhere else.  I'll work on that this summer.

Keep up the good work,
Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:18 AM »

I hear ya Steedy!!  I feel my water supply is in need of some major additional attention as well, so I'm working on that just about everytime I stop somewhere now.  Gotta go to the drug store for something, pick up a few gallons.  Here, there, if I keep adding a few at a time, it starts to look pretty impressive by the end of the month...