Author Topic: Storing water  (Read 4316 times)

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
Storing water
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »
I found this and couldn't figure where to put it...

http://www.liquid-stabilized-oxygen.com/copyright_protected.html

Hope people find it useful.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Storing water
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
"I found this and couldn't figure where to put it...
http://www.liquid-stabilized-oxygen.com/copyright_protected.html "

The article advocates the use of liquid stabilized oxygen, and it recommends adding two teaspoons of baking  soda to each gallon of water.

How about using food grade hydrogen peroxide?  The article does not mention it.

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »
Got me.   They are both probably about the same though.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

errrv

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
Have any of you filled a swimming pool for water storage & tarped it for "survive in place" scenario?
Erv

throwback1952

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
I was thinking I could drink the water out of my water bed if I was desperate sure it would taste like plastic and I am not sure what is in that little bottle you put in before you fill it. But hey there has to be a couple hundred gallons of water in that California king size bladder.
It is the old school type water bed just a bladder no stuffing.
Think I will start draning and filling it every 6 months keep it clean. LOL
You could at least flush the toilets with it.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

errrv

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
I was thinking I could drink the water out of my water bed if I was desperate sure it would taste like plastic and I am not sure what is in that little bottle you put in before you fill it. But hey there has to be a couple hundred gallons of water in that California king size bladder.
It is the old school type water bed just a bladder no stuffing.
Think I will start draning and filling it every 6 months keep it clean. LOL
You could at least flush the toilets with it.

Heck! You better be pooping in a bag!!! Use the water for hygiene!!!
Erv

augonit

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Have any of you filled a swimming pool for water storage & tarped it for "survive in place" scenario?
Erv

We always filled the bathtub as full as we could whenever a hurrricane was coming.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
Erv

We always filled the bathtub as full as we could whenever a hurrricane was coming.

Lots of products for storing water in a hygienic way in a bathtub. Just a sample idea, photo.
- Yowbarb

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
We all have stored water in the house.
When the SHTF cut off you water at the main cut off coming into you house to prevent contamination.
Cut off you water heater at the breaker box and you have 30 to 50 gallons or more ready to use.

You also have the water in your house lines. If you live in a multi level home you can open a tap on the upper floor to let air into the line then open at tap on the ground floor to get water.

For those of us in a single story home the principle would be the same but you would probably need to open like the kitchen tap the go outside to open the outside tap since it would most likely be the lowest point.

Not a lot of water but it might be enough for a week or more depending how many people live in the house.   

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 06:00:26 AM »
We all have stored water in the house.
When the SHTF cut off you water at the main cut off coming into you house to prevent contamination.
Cut off you water heater at the breaker box and you have 30 to 50 gallons or more ready to use.

You also have the water in your house lines. If you live in a multi level home you can open a tap on the upper floor to let air into the line then open at tap on the ground floor to get water.

For those of us in a single story home the principle would be the same but you would probably need to open like the kitchen tap the go outside to open the outside tap since it would most likely be the lowest point.

Not a lot of water but it might be enough for a week or more depending how many people live in the house.

Bob E. thanks for sharing that info! Most of that I totally did not know.  :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Storing water in the body
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:15:05 AM »
The best place to store minerals and water is... IN THE BODY.

That means making sure you're well-hydrated, for one; but there's more.
First of all, most people are NOT well-hydrated. They don't eat enough fruit, which is especially important in the morning hours. Then they don't eat enough vegetables with their starches and proteins, forcing the body to use up water to help in the predigestive processes.

Actually drinking water is not necessarily the way to go. Yeah, if you are eating loads of grains, for instance, you'll be getting thirsty, but that's also because you weren't consuming the raw fruits you should be (since you're eating bread instead). Make sure your body gets thoroughly hydrated in the morning and eat enough greens with your other meals and you won't have to drink much, if at all, to be well-hydrated.

I'm assuming you already know NOT to drink AFTER a meal... If you aren't consuming enough fruit (on any given day), make sure you have some water 20 to 30 minutes BEFORE your meal.

GOOD water is a thing; you can down a whole liter of good water whereas just one glass of tap water may have you feeling you can't drink anymore. So that's not about how thirsty you are, it is about the water you are drinking.
It is much much easier to drink down distilled water than tap water.
The best water is distilled, run through a reverse-osmosis filter and then remineralized and recharged. The simplest way to do that latter option is by adding some seasalt and shaking thoroughly.

Creatine is a supplement often used by bodybuilders but there's really nothing special about it. Your body creates creatine. However, most people don't create enough to get the effects bodybuilders are after.
Creatine fills the cells of your body WITH WATER. In other words, you make water reservoirs out of muscle tissue. Bodybuilders love it since there's no subdermal water retention involved and the muscles actually become bigger themselves.
I was once on creatine and then went on a 5-DAY FAST during which i consumed absolutely nothing and did not even drink any water. And i was fine though most people tell you that you'll get into real trouble after just 3 days without water. After those 5 days, though, just about all the muscle mass i had built up in the previous 3 months has disappeared again...

When you are minerally full, as well, your body can deal with less water more efficiently. In other words, if you make sure you are minerally full you require less water to function properly. You can deal with adverse conditions much better and for much longer.

So there is much you can do TODAY to deal with water shortages IN THE FUTURE, i.e. in any survival type situations you may run into. But keep in mind that hydrating the body thoroughly, or mineralizing it or even loading up on creatine take time. So the time to deal with water issues in any future is RIGHT NOW.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Creatine and hydration
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 04:47:00 AM »
I woke up with EXTREME muscle cramps in my legs. I thought: Hey, if this cramping hits my heart i'm a dead man! I mean, this sh!t was terrible! I couldn't just stretch the muscles cramping since it was both sides of the leg, both calf (and foot) and thigh. There was nothing to do but ride it out...

Obviously this prompted some research [Google is your friend] and i have now learned the following; according to this website the culprit is the creatine i've been consuming. It seems adding water to the cells of your muscles is not without some added responsibility for staying hydrated.
Never in my life [i'll be 52 in a month] have i experienced cramps like i just talked about, but i've always been serious about consuming enough fruit (especially in the morning). However, since i've recently been trying to lose weight [and have lost 4 kg in short order], i have been focusing on consuming proteins rather than the fruits i tend to (in the morning). On top of that, i've actually been postponing the consumption of fruit because i read that as soon as one consumes a carbohydrate the body stops producing HGH [human growth hormone].

In the end, it appears the creatine option is not without consequences since it comes with a responsibility to make sure one consumes enought liquids [in whatever shape or form].
Now, in a survival situation having enough liquids could prove to be quite the problem. So what about that? And what about my story in my previous post about not eating or drinking for 5 days without a problem?

Well, let's forget for a moment that i was 20 years younger when i (water) fasted for 5 days straight; i don't think any of this has to do with age.
Yes, i was using creatine back then, but the 5 days i was fasting, i did not exercise or work. On the other hand, today i not only work but also exercise and my work is very physical; so there's really no comparison.

Could creatine have helped me last for 5 days 20 years ago? Possibly.

In the end, there appears to be a price to pay if you consume creatine [i.e. have muscles full of water, which is actually quite natural since the body naturally produces creatine] but remain physically quite active while you are dehydrated.

FYI
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:04:31 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
Socrates, I just noticed your post about extreme cramps...sorry you went through that.
I hope there was no repeat of that.