Author Topic: Home mushroom farming.  (Read 4028 times)

Charlie

Home mushroom farming.
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Hiya survivors.  I have not disowned you, I have been very, very busy with work and a project.  Used to grow mushrooms, Shiitake and Pearl Oyster among others in my home, all legal edibles of course.  ;D

Anyway have brought out all my old mycology equipment and got starter cultures from various vendors and am taking on the mushroom farming again.  This time with four varieties that span a wide variety of nutrition and health issues and they just plain taste great, except for one.  That being the Red Reishi.

Red Reishi is a medicinal mushroom that tastes bitter so if usually made into tea or taken dry in capsules.  It will really boost the immune system and so is good for just about anything that ails ya.  In Japan it is accepted as a cancer treatment.

Shiitake is a really good mushroom for eating and is also full of health benefits and loaded with protein.

Pearl Oyster is the easiest mushroom to grow for the home cultivator as it will grow on just about anything cellulosic in nature including recycled newspaper and cardboard, seed hulls, wheat straw, switchgrass, corn cobs, etc...

Chicken of the Woods is a parasitic mushroom, unlike the others in my arsenel it will grow on living hardwood trees as well as inoculated logs and other cellulosic media as the others.  It gets its name from the flavor, many say it tastes like chicken. It is one of the most sought among wild mushroom hunters.

So this is what has been keeping me busy.  Pressure cooking spawn jars, making liquid cultures, making wooden dowel spawn to inoculate logs come winter and such as that.

The varieties I have chosen should well fit in a survival situation.  You could live on them.

Charlie it's great to see you here again. That's very interesting and helpful info o the mushrooms. Funny how in other countries a natural substance is accepted as a medicine. Good to know about the Red Reishi!
Also, I found out decades ago, Japanese doctors had already been prescribing COQ10 regularly. COQ10.
I have heard that ozone treatment is legal in many places in Germany Japan etc.
Well I digress. We are interested in all you know about home mushroom farming, really a good survival thing,
Yowbarb

Ok Yowbarb  ;D

Home mushroom farming is a very rewarding endeavor that can provide you and your family with the very best, fresh mushrooms available.  Those at the store are often days old unless you happen to have access to a mushroom farm(er) or a good farmers market that supplies fresh picked.

Mushrooms are nutritious and delicious and as already mentioned, some are able to boost the immune system and in other ways fend off biological attacks and heal diseases. 

Rather than go into lengthy posting I will refer you to the mycologist elite, Paul Stamets, who has authored several books on mushroom cultivation.  Here are a couple of links to pdf downloads of two of his books or you can order them from his website at www.fungiperfecti.com

Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms

http://files.uniteddiversity.com/Permaculture/Growing_Gourmet_and_Medicinal_Mushrooms.pdf

And...

Mushroom Cultivator

http://files.uniteddiversity.com/Permaculture/Mushroom_Cultivator-A_Practical_Guide_to_Growing_Mushrooms_at_Home.pdf

Another of Stamets works is titled "Mycelium Running".  It is all about mycelium and how it has been discovered to be able to do some pretty amazing things. Here is a vid that will amaze you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5frPV58tY

A wide variety of mushroom cultivation video's can be watched on YouTube by simply putting for example, "Shiitake mushroom cultivation" in the search.

I am glad to answer specific questions on mushroom cultivation.  Listing "all I know" would take days or maybe even weeks given my time constraints lol.  I hope the information provided will at least give some a good start into home mushroom farming.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Home mushroom farming.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
Thanks so much for that info all in one place as you presented it will make it so much easier for me, since I've decided to try it myself.  I had always wanted to, and never had the time or know how...Thanks again it is greatly appreciated!

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Thanks so much for that info all in one place as you presented it will make it so much easier for me, since I've decided to try it myself.  I had always wanted to, and never had the time or know how...Thanks again it is greatly appreciated!

You're very welcome!  I'm not sure about posting links here to commercial sites but Fungi Perfecti is the only one I trust enough to refer others.  Have gotten some badly contaminated products elsewhere. 

A really good way to get started growing mushrooms at home is to purchase one of their "ready to fruit" mushroom bag/block.  Pretty much all you have to do is follow their easy instruction.  This gives you something tangible as reference while you are learning.  You might even be able to make a spore print, grow your own culture and start your own home mushroom farm from that one purchased bag!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »

You're very welcome!  I'm not sure about posting links here to commercial sites but Fungi Perfecti is the only one I trust enough to refer others.  Have gotten some badly contaminated products elsewhere. 

A really good way to get started growing mushrooms at home is to purchase one of their "ready to fruit" mushroom bag/block.  Pretty much all you have to do is follow their easy instruction.  This gives you something tangible as reference while you are learning.  You might even be able to make a spore print, grow your own culture and start your own home mushroom farm from that one purchased bag!

Charlie, thanks.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
Charlie's post on mushrooms. Worth a repeat:

[applaud] [smite]

Checking in...
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

Hiya survivors.  I have not disowned you, I have been very, very busy with work and a project.  Used to grow mushrooms, Shiitake and Pearl Oyster among others in my home, all legal edibles of course.  ;D

Anyway have brought out all my old mycology equipment and got starter cultures from various vendors and am taking on the mushroom farming again.  This time with four varieties that span a wide variety of nutrition and health issues and they just plain taste great, except for one.  That being the Red Reishi.

Red Reishi is a medicinal mushroom that tastes bitter so if usually made into tea or taken dry in capsules.  It will really boost the immune system and so is good for just about anything that ails ya.  In Japan it is accepted as a cancer treatment.

Shiitake is a really good mushroom for eating and is also full of health benefits and loaded with protein.

Pearl Oyster is the easiest mushroom to grow for the home cultivator as it will grow on just about anything cellulosic in nature including recycled newspaper and cardboard, seed hulls, wheat straw, switchgrass, corn cobs, etc...

Chicken of the Woods is a parasitic mushroom, unlike the others in my arsenel it will grow on living hardwood trees as well as inoculated logs and other cellulosic media as the others.  It gets its name from the flavor, many say it tastes like chicken. It is one of the most sought among wild mushroom hunters.

So this is what has been keeping me busy.  Pressure cooking spawn jars, making liquid cultures, making wooden dowel spawn to inoculate logs come winter and such as that.

The varieties I have chosen should well fit in a survival situation.  You could live on them.

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Thar be baby mushrooms here  ;D

I cut 1 inch holes in a five gallon pail with a hole saw and lined it with a trash sack, then filled (slightly packed) the sack/liner with aspen wood pet bedding with sunflower seed hulls that had been pasteurized and allowed to air dry a bit along with a half gallon jars of sunflower seed spawn, layered in all the way full, twisted the liner top closed and put the bucket lid on, then cut slits in the exposed areas of the liner. Thirteen days later I have baby oyster mushrooms poking out of the holes.  The bucket is in a mini greenhouse that is misted on the insides with water 4 times daily for humidity and allow a fine mist to fall on the mushrooms.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
Charlie, wow what great ideas!
Thanks,
Yowbarb

noproblemo2

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
Charlie, Congrats, you did it !!!!!!!!!!