Author Topic: Our Ancestors Got Through It, So Can We  (Read 3570 times)

chaunska

Our Ancestors Got Through It, So Can We
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
There are thousands of forgotten, past, skills that will increase our chances of survival.   If we can all pool our primitive knowledge and share what we know about these skills, it will mean less "rediscovering", (possibly the hard way), things that our ancestors had already figured out.   So post your primitive knowledge here.... maybe those things you remember your grandfather and grandmother reminiscing about.... and we can all experiment and work out the kinks before the time comes where we're really in need of them.   

Lori

Re: Our Ancestors Got Through It, So Can We
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
Good One.  I like this.  I have both Celtic and Native American in my background.  My Mom is actually doing a lot of research on our family ancestors here.  It be interesting what she comes up with.

We have mounds here in Cartersville, and I can't help but wonder, if the possibility is there that the mounds where not just for ceremonial events but also for high ground in the event of flooding.  The area was prone to flooding until the dam was built.

http://www.gastateparks.org/EtowahMounds

nrsvend

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
My grandparents said all you need to survive is butter, eggs and flour.  I guess you could consider it a skill since they learned it the hard way during the Depression.

The Heretic

• Trusted Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
Heard my mother say the same. Not pretty but you can survive! She is a few days away from 87 and still going strong. Just gotta be tough and hang in there!

lauryte

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
For butter you need Milk=cow, for eggs you need chickens and for flour you need grain, so here comes another set of skills needed to garden and farm animals :)
With the Animals you get meet to go along with your butter and eggs  ::)
My grandparents are both over 80 and have lived their whole lives this way, i always helped out there before i came to U.S. and now i look back and would like to get more details on all that we did while i still can from them

chaunska

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
Sometimes provisions that were given to indians on the reservations were only lard, flour and salt.   To make the best of it, they made a bread that was flat and tasty.  We call it friebread.   You just added water and salt to the flour and made dough....if you had some baking powder on hand, you used a little to make it a little fluffier.    And adding dry milk to it was a real treat.   We would make balls of flour and flatten them out and cook them in hot lard to cook.     

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
Here's a shot I took this a.m. The tree on the right is Pinion Pine. Nuts to eat. Yucca's further up the trail. Soap to wash with. Creosote bush. Naturally seasoned firewood to cook your meat with.
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »
Here's a shot I took this a.m. The tree on the right is Pinion Pine. Nuts to eat. Yucca's further up the trail. Soap to wash with. Creosote bush. Naturally seasoned firewood to cook your meat with.