Author Topic: Places and resources for learning the "Old Ways"  (Read 4858 times)

chaunska

Places and resources for learning the "Old Ways"
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
The Old Ways are alive and well believe it or not.....Various reenactments, workshops and book are out there waiting to be realized.   If anyone knows of any books or upcoming events, post them here.   If you go to one of the events or read a book, let us know what you learned.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:10:20 PM by chaunska »

denasfarm

• Trusted Member
  • Bugged out and Bugging in!
    • Unique Titanium
Re: Places and resources for learning the "Old Ways"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
Davey Crockett State park has pioneer days and primative seminars randomly. Usually find them in the local paper a few days before hand.
We went to the primative fire class and learned a lot about building fire boards, different techniques of holding, bow vs hand, making charcloth, best wood for board and drill making, how long to dry it, Knotching it, different tender, scraping cotton clothes for tender...etc etc...

chaunska

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
Very nice denasfarm.....
Is this a mountain man rendezvous?

If you hear of anymore information about when and where, let us know.

Morgana2012

• Trusted Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:17 AM »
Here's a video on how to make a water filter out of an empty 2 or 3 liter bottle and how to dig an egyptian well. http://youtu.be/Btg7zh2fpH4 She forgot to mention you're suppposed to pour water through 20x to get the particulates out, and it takes 2-3 wks for the "good" bacteria to develop on the top layer of sand.  The good bacterial eats the bad bacteria and if undisturbed should be good for 2 yrs. See related videos to see how this works.  Youtube :  biosand filter. 
www.lehmans.com is a amish website and they sell their books on living a simpler life like "Living without Electricity"Home-made 101-Easy to Make Things for Your Home, Garden, or Farm" and you can even get ideas how to build somethings just by looking at the picture of it. Like there's a chair made from 2 boards. Wheelbarrow is a box with 2 handles, fork, axle & wheel.  www.silverdollarcity.com click craft festivals  in red toward the bottom.  On that page click VISITING CRAFTSMAN SCHEDULE in blue on right. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:34:38 PM by Morgana2012 »

chaunska

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:49:39 PM »
I have made mention of this before in other places, but I'll put it here too.   Mountain Man Rendezvous are an excellent place to learn how to do primitive skills of survival and art.   They are held all over the country and they are sort of a secret...meaning that they don't advertise the events much.   But if you google Mountain Man Rendezvous dates, you can get a listing of the ones around the country.   My favorite site to find dates is Talking-Bear.com.   He has a really detailed listing of upcoming events and also a lot of pictures of past events.    There are usually demonstrations of primitive skills such as fire making, shooting muzzle loaders, throwing and sticking tomahawks, making moccasins, old time cooking, tanning skins, etc.    My family and I have attended Rendezvous for many years and love to teach people these old forgotten survival skills.   I hope some of you find one and participate in the learning.

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:42:40 AM »
I have made mention of this before in other places, but I'll put it here too.   Mountain Man Rendezvous are an excellent place to learn how to do primitive skills of survival and art.   They are held all over the country and they are sort of a secret...meaning that they don't advertise the events much.   But if you google Mountain Man Rendezvous dates, you can get a listing of the ones around the country.   My favorite site to find dates is Talking-Bear.com.   He has a really detailed listing of upcoming events and also a lot of pictures of past events.    There are usually demonstrations of primitive skills such as fire making, shooting muzzle loaders, throwing and sticking tomahawks, making moccasins, old time cooking, tanning skins, etc.    My family and I have attended Rendezvous for many years and love to teach people these old forgotten survival skills.   I hope some of you find one and participate in the learning.

Thank You for the link Chaunska! There are not very many events here in AZ, however, we do have a wonderful Native American museum which I have not visited in years. They often have demonstrations and events also. About time that I visited there again. This also reminded me that somewhere I have a book about how the people of this area used plants. This was from a demonstration, and exibit at our local botanical gardens...I should find it, as it would be very useful. As I recall, mesquite bean flour wasn't all that tasty - but it is a survivial resourse not to be missed.
Some of my family is involved in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which practices Midevil European skills - such as cooking on a fire, tent making, hand sewing, etc. (Yes they do the knights in shining armor thing also).
I guess there are many resources available for learning skills if we just look for them. This has really got me thinking about some of the areas I need work on - Thanks you again!
Any skills that improve our ability to do things for ourselves would be good.
Sunny
Never Give UP! EVER

chaunska

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
  Google Rendezvous list with you state next to it and you'll pull up some good lists.  I don't know how close they will be to you....they are hardly ever in towns, (usually rural), so you might have to travel a few hours.   

Multiple Rendezvous are held in every state of the Union.    There are even some in the winter time....usually called Bucks Only...(men only).    A good movie to learn about Rendezvous, is called "The Mountain Men'   It is an old one from the 70s an it is based on actual people and events. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:48:56 PM by chaunska »

denasfarm

• Trusted Member
  • Bugged out and Bugging in!
    • Unique Titanium
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
Very nice denasfarm.....
Is this a mountain man rendezvous?

If you hear of anymore information about when and where, let us know.

No just simple demos the park rangers do for campers (and those living nearby).

They have Crockett days in August every year, thats a reenactment type thing with lots of demos and booths with period wears for sale. I didnt get to this year.
They have civil war reenactments every so often too but I dont have a link. Their website is no help either.

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
This home was built in the 1800's ... Notice the clay brick work under the tin outer layer. Hand made by the local Hualapai's of the day. No molds, by hand ....
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
I just got home with a current issue of...
The Backwoodsman, volume 32, No. 8    Sept. / Oct. 2011

I haven't even opened it yet.  I stopped in here first to see what was up.

I'll report back in soon.

www.backwoodsmanmag.com

Mark 8)

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »
Excellent video .... This man was trained by Native American elders to be a medicine man back in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jagbodhi?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/6/nTHC8KJ4jUI

enjoy
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

augonit

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
Anybody know any old, reliable techniques for back pain?  I'm serious.  I spent at least five hours with a heating pad on my back yesterday, and I'm only 50% better today.  I wondered about this yesterday thinking, if there is no more electricity, what would I do without my heating pad!  I'm telling you, I could hardly walk yesterday.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Anybody know any old, reliable techniques for back pain?  I'm serious.  I spent at least five hours with a heating pad on my back yesterday, and I'm only 50% better today.  I wondered about this yesterday thinking, if there is no more electricity, what would I do without my heating pad!  I'm telling you, I could hardly walk yesterday.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Augonit, that's odd I thought I just posted about this. Will try again.
You may know about these things.
My mother used what she called "blue goop" but that was a general name for what she used. It's any inexpensive blue cool ointment in a jar.
The "Blue Goo" is good - but that is a brand name and it costs a lot more than what she used, and I use. I buy the generic cheap stuff at Dollar Stores. What I buy is called Arctic ICE for $2.00. Pls note: there are several cheap generic products with similar names.  It really does help.
Mom had rheumatoic artihritis and possibly fibromyalgia and although she was healthy in many ways she suffered a lot unless she used something. She lived semi independently until age 90.
She kept an inexpensive jar of the blue ointment where she could reach it.
I keep blue cheap stuff around and also ICY HOT spray for places I just cannot reach on my back, also it is quick and easy to use on the back of my neck.
I do use an anti inflammatory cheap acetomonophen a moderate dose.
Everyone has to find what works for them.
There is a Topic called "A cup of mint tea is an effective painkiller." Not sure where that is, could be Healing Foods etc.
Well these are just a few ideas. I have found if I go ahead an take a pain killer I get more done...
To each his own. Natural methods are no doubt better.
I recommend people do a trial and error, observation of what they eat and if they have arthritis symptoms that day or the next. For some it is wheat products, or fried foods or sugar.
Augonit, I hope this helps.
I had better post it, lost it last time.
Good Luck,
Yowbarb

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
Augonit,
You can get (or make if you want) heating pads with beans in a fabric bag. Mum's heats hers in the microwave but any heat source that wouldn't burn it would work fine. Stays hot for 15-20 minutes, and is flexable to fit where ever you need the heat. I've heard that they can be made from rice too but never tried it. [the beans or rice can not be eaten later but it should last for several years before they need to be replaced-the beans smell yummy when they are hot tho  ;)].
Sunny
Never Give UP! EVER

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

Decompression is always worth a try.  Hang by your arms or by your knees over a limb or over a bar.  Rig up something so that your legs and arms or neck are pulled in opposite directions.  I lash my ankles to one side edge  of the bed, drape my body over the other side, and press my elbows against the vertical side where by neck hangs over.