Author Topic: Misc ideas on food/ possible food shortages  (Read 8238 times)

noproblemo2

Misc ideas on food/ possible food shortages
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
Wal-mart admits to a National food shortage

Wal-mart admits to a National food shortage

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Misc ideas on food/ possible food shortages
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
Thanks Susan! Since July 2011 I've been watching many of the local Denver area supermarkets, including Costco & Sam's Clubs for any signs of food shortages. The ONLY item I've noticed missing during the past 2 weeks is frozen corn.

It would be nice if all members from around the world would use this thread to report any food shortages in their area.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:17:39 AM by VillageIdiot »
Live long and prosper!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
Susan, thanks for the heads up.
I will be on the lookout for food shortages at my local COSTCO.
So far I am not noticing this happening, but who knows. Will be back there Friday PM.
Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
The peanut crops this year were a flop. If you like peanuts or peanut butter, you had better get it now. The only thing left is at the regional supply centers. Once it is gone... It's gone.
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
Hey Susan, that video is dated Aug 2010. My girlfriend just busted my b*lls! ;D
Erv

Erv I hadn't noticed but true, it is Aug 2010. It is something to think about though...
- Yowbarb

http://youtu.be/adIlQIaMeVo
Video Uploaded by MrKillswitch88 on Aug 16, 2010
Reupload and unable to find the original channel.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:17 AM »
Ooops !!!!!!!!!!! My mistake, but I also will now be eating a lot of peanut butter, lol..........
Hey Susan, that video is dated Aug 2010. My girlfriend just busted my b*lls! ;D
Erv

One thing I noticed was the woman was simply presenting some info, not insisting there was a food shortage. I respected the tone of her video. In the long run it's good you posted it.

noproblemo2

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
Well guess many of us were able to stock up on some healthy food via my goof, lol

Lori

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
I just went over to Dollar Store and bought 4 big jars of fruit.  They are only $2.00 ea.  I snatched those babies up real quick.  They still have quite a few of them.  Before long they will end up on my shelve.  I may buy about three of those huge cans of peanut butter that they have at Ingles.  I also try to either buy a bag of rice and or beans each week.  We are stocking up in firewood next week.  They are saying that we are in for a very cold Fall and Winter here.  I also am going to start stocking up on beef jerky.  Right now its fairly inexpensive.

noproblemo2

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
I'm also stocking firewood as have heard the same thing for winter, as much as I can store at least.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »
I'm also stocking firewood as have heard the same thing for winter, as much as I can store at least.

Firewood an excellent idea.
I had mentioned also if a group has survival land to clear a lot of it and store the wood in a steel container or bury it... There is always the possibility of fires during the time of PX...fires from various causes, lightning strikes, meteorites, small hot rocks, fires in buildings and facilities caused by high winds... other causes even some volcanic activity...
Also a good idea to have a steel or concrete protection for seeds, small plants, big potted plants fruits and veg growing and also local trees. Small pines. half grown or as tall as can be dug up, placed in planter boxes, watered liberally, sealed up when high winds start; protected from fires. In the same container or pit could be fertilizer and farm implements of various sorts digging tools..

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
Also to reiterate as you and Erv said a food shortage is likely...items like pnut butter jam and even canned Boston bread... these would be very comforting to children to have these things.
When I was raising my kids I always tried to put a healthy meal on the table but I wasn't much for forcing them to eat. When the meal was done if 1-2 of them were picky I said, well there is the Pnut butter and jelly and bread help yourself... They surely had to eat something and part of the time that is ALL they wanted.
I often made a shake for them, using natural plain or vanilla soymilk, or rice milk, or non fat milk if that was all we had. In the blender I put mollasses OR malt syrup OR honey.
Carob powder. Banana if we had it. It was actually very frothy and delicious and they always shlurpped those down.
Natural sweeteners like those listed above also date sugar.. these heop kids get their food down sometimes.
Another staple: POPCORN
I used to make it on the stove top and we had it different ways and they always ate it all up, all the kids. Sometimes I used butter, sometimes natural cold pressed oil.
I sprinkled a good quality brewers yeast on it along with sea salt - OR -natural oil and soy sauce. However I fixed it they ate it.
Well these are items I suggest having a stock of and I am quite sure these will run out...
Peanut Butter
Jam
Popcorn
cold pressed oil
Canned Butter
Canned Boston bread
soy sauce
soy milk
rice milk
powdered skim milk
Carob Powder
Choc syrup/cocoa
Honey
Malt Syrup
Blackstrap Mollasses
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:07:11 AM by Yowbarb »

augonit

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
Not chocolate syrup!  Say it isn't so!  What would I do without my Hershy's?!  BTW, do you know that I work with people who've never seen Hershy's syrup in the can, even though it's still sold like that?  They swear it's only been in that plastic bottle, (which changes the flavor I think).

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
Well guess many of us were able to stock up on some healthy food via my goof, lol

I wouldn't call it a goof so much as it may be a "God-Shot"

When we went through the last Presidential election process I remember trying to buy .22 cal ammo was futile at best. Now there's all you need. It's cyclical but there is panic buying going on as stated in last month's web-bot reports as I remember.
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

errrv

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
Definitely good. I was only trying to show this to my girl as a "collapse early indicator" and she saw the date on the video. She keeps me centered as I like seeing the drama building up to this thing.
Erv

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
I'm glad she caught it, at least now I have more put butter than I'll ever want, lol, will be good for bartering too.
I bought 6 large jars (48 oz each) of peanut butter today at Costco and plan to pick up 6 more by Sunday. Was also thinking this could be a good barter item.  :D
Live long and prosper!