Author Topic: Baking Bread  (Read 5295 times)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Baking Bread
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »
Thanks for the links.  Love a good loaf of Italian bread.  I'm very picky about it too, having had some real Italian cooking throughout my life.  Same with Amish cooking.  People can say it's an Amish recipe, but I know the real deal.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »
Topic: Raw - or baked - sprouted breads, such as "Essene" Bread
Started by Yowbarb October 12, 2011

Link:  http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=3239.0

Recipe:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/essene-bread-sprouted-grain.aspx#axzz319Ul1ZuO

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
I used to have a wood cook stove but unfortunately hard times made me sell it.  Sure wish I had it now.
Endtimesgal, I have enjoyed your posts for so long now.
Hoping you will continue to post and share all that you have learned about prepping...
All The Best,
Barb Townsend

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
pbutter, that looks so delicious! I love food like that.
That looks like it also has some black seeds on it... very healing, I think...
 :)

It really is good and filling! I like it with slices of avocado and tomato with a pinch of sea salt n pepper-  ;)

This is my friend's pic, so Im sure she added some other good things not mentioned in the recipe. She  is pretty awesome, she does a wide range of things, from reiki to wild plant/food foraging-- I learn alot from her :)

~pB
pbutter,  anyway that bread must be so good!
Sounds like you have some wonderful friendships.

Yes, Endtimesgal and Barb! I am thankful to have such a good group of folks around--- they do range in age, experiences, talents, and interests and I am grateful-- Kinda like this forum-- there is so much to learn from folk here as well!

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
pbutter - yes it is a good group here.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Dried Bread
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »
Sorry, no links; this comes from memory;

Survival Bread
If you make yourself some proper bread, pull a string through it and hang it up to dry; dried and kept in an appropriate place, it will keep for a very long time.
When you are interested in eating it, wet it and then rebake in an oven for a short period.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Dried Bread
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
Sorry, no links; this comes from memory;

Survival Bread
If you make yourself some proper bread, pull a string through it and hang it up to dry; dried and kept in an appropriate place, it will keep for a very long time.
When you are interested in eating it, wet it and then rebake in an oven for a short period.
Some pastas such as spaghetti would be a good substitute for "bread", depending on the ingredients.  If the ingredient list has fat or egg, it wouln't have a very long shelf life, but if just wheat flour and water, it is the same ingredients I always use in flatbreads. 

In times of plenty I use either water, potato water, or whey for the liquid, and for the solid ingredients, I grind spelt berries or Kamut berries.  In sparse times I would use water as the liquid.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
pasta and 'Vit. D'
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
(According to medicinal researcher Atom Bergstrom) pasta was traditionally dried in the Sun and this gave it Vit. D
At some point it seems there were governmental forces that didn't like people drying their pasta out in the Sun and the tradition was abandoned; this was followed by a significant increase in symptoms caused by Vit. D deficiency.

A few things on Vit. D:
Vit. D is a hormone precursor and not a 'vitamin'; it is essential for many biological processes.
Vit. D is created on the skin in sunlight but it can also be washed off of the skin.
It can be created by leaving foods out in the Sun; consuming said foods offers Vit. D
In more Northern/Southern [depending on what hemisphere you're at] regions the power of the Sun is reduced so the skin no longer produces Vit. D no matter how many hours one is exposed to sunlight.
I know that where i am at, i.e. North-Western Europe, from September to May the Sun does not have enough power to create Vit. D on the skin. In other words, even if you were to walk around outside naked all day, your body would still not be producing any Vit. D; that's ironic when one considers that even 10 minutes of sunbatheing during summer offers enough Vit. D to last you through the whole day.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: pasta and 'Vit. D'
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
(According to medicinal researcher Atom Bergstrom) pasta was traditionally dried in the Sun and this gave it Vit. D
At some point it seems there were governmental forces that didn't like people drying their pasta out in the Sun and the tradition was abandoned; this was followed by a significant increase in symptoms caused by Vit. D deficiency.

A few things on Vit. D:
Vit. D is a hormone precursor and not a 'vitamin'; it is essential for many biological processes.
Vit. D is created on the skin in sunlight but it can also be washed off of the skin.
It can be created by leaving foods out in the Sun; consuming said foods offers Vit. D
In more Northern/Southern [depending on what hemisphere you're at] regions the power of the Sun is reduced so the skin no longer produces Vit. D no matter how many hours one is exposed to sunlight.
I know that where i am at, i.e. North-Western Europe, from September to May the Sun does not have enough power to create Vit. D on the skin. In other words, even if you were to walk around outside naked all day, your body would still not be producing any Vit. D; that's ironic when one considers that even 10 minutes of sunbatheing during summer offers enough Vit. D to last you through the whole day.
Sun-dried mushrooms are another good source of vitamin D.

Dr. Mercola has on his site an article or two about the amount of vitamin D3 that can be obtained by the sun at different latitudes, at different times of the year, and one of his references showed that even when the sun is about 15 degrees above the horizon, there can be some vitamin D production in the body exposed to the sun.  I'll try to find that article and post it or its link.