Author Topic: Where There Is No Doctor  (Read 5175 times)

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
Where There Is No Doctor
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
this is a book i purchased recently and have been reading.  there is a lot of valuable information and cures/treatments for illnesses, medicines (mostly natural), preventative care for families and small communities, and emergency care.

i will list the table of contents below and will start by trying to post snippets from one chapter at a time. 
if there is a subject anyone is particularly interested in knowing more about, post here and i will do my best to provide the information.

contents:

words to the village health worker (with sub topics listed):
- health needs and human needs
- many things relate to health care
- take a good look at your community
- using local resources to meet needs
- deciding what to do and where to begin
- trying a new idea
- a balance between people and land
- a balance between prevention and treatment
- sensible and limited use of medicines
- finding out what progress has been made
- teaching and learning together
- tools for teaching

chapter 1
home cures and popular beliefs

chapter 2
sicknesses that are often confused

chapter 3
how to examine a sick person

chapter 4
how to take care of a sick person

chapter 5
healing without medicines

chapter 6
right and wrong use of modern medicines

chapter 7
antibiotics: what they are and how to use them

chapter 8
how to measure and give medicine

chapter 9
instructions and precautions for injections

chapter 10
first aid

chapter 11
nutrition: what to eat to be healthy

chapter 12
prevision: how to avoid many sicknesses

chapter 13
some very common sicknesses

chapter 14
serious illnesses that need special medical attention

chapter 15
skin problems

chapter 16
the eyes

chapter 17
teeth, gums and mouth

chapter 18
the urinary system and the genitals

chapter 19
information for mothers and midwives

chapter 20
family planning: having the number of children you want

chapter 21
health and sicknesses of children

chapter 22
health and sicknesses of older people

chapter 23
the medicine kit

green pages -
list and information for medicines

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
MEDICINAL PLANTS/HOMEMADE CASTS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
many plants have curative powers.  some of the best modern medicines are made from wild herbs.  nevertheless, not all "curative herbs" people use have medicinal value... and those that have are sometimes used the wrong way.  try to learn about the herbs in your area and find out which ones are worthwhile.
ANGEL'S TRUMPET (datura arborea)
the leaves of this and certain other members of the nightshade family contain a drug that helps to calm intestinal cramps, stomach aches, and even gallbladder pain.
grind up 1 or 2 leaves of the angel's trumpet and soak them for a day in 7 tablespoons (100 ml) of water.
doseage: between 10-15 drops every 4 hours (adults only).
WARNING: angel's trumpet is very poisinous if you take more than the recommended dose.

CORN SILK (the tassels or 'silk' from an ear of maize)
a tea made from corn silk makes a person pass more urine.  this can help reduce swelling of the feet - especially in pregnant women.
boil a large handful of corn silk in water and drink 1-2 glasses.  it is not dangerous.

GARLIC
a drink made from garlic can often get rid of pinworms and diarrhea.
chop finely, or crush, 4 garlic cloves and mix with one glass of liquid (water, juice or milk).
dosage:  for pinworms, drink 1 glass daily for 3 weeks.  for diarrhea, drink 1 glass every 2 hours until diarrhea stops.
(garlic treatments for vaginal infections are on a different page).

CARDON CACTUS (pachycerius pectin-aboriginum)
cactus juice can be used to clean wounds when there is no boiled water and no way to get any.  cardon cactus also helps stop a wound from bleeding, because the juice makes the cut blood vessels squeeze shut.
cut a piece of the cactus with a clean knife and press firmly against the wound.
when the bleeding is under control, tie a piece of the cactus to the wound with a strip of cloth.
after 2-3 hours, take off the cactus and clean the wound with boiled water and soap.  (more instructions on wound care/bleeding control on another page).

ALOE VERA (sabila)
aloe vera can be used to treat minor burns and wounds.  the thick, slimy juice inside the plant calms pain and itching, aids healing, and helps prevent infection.  cut off a piece of the plant, peel back the outer layer, and apply the fleshy leaf or juice directly to the burn or wound.
aloe can also help treat stomach ulcers and gastritis.  chop the spongy leaves into small pieces, soak them in water overnight, and drink one glass of the slimy, bitter liquid every 2 hours.

PAPAYA
ripe papayas are rich in vitamins and also aid digestion.  eating them is especially helpful for weak or old people who complain of upset stomach when they eat meat, chicken, or eggs.  papaya makes these foods easier to digest.
papaya can also help get rid of intestinal worms.   collect 3 or 4 teaspons (15-20ml) of the "milk" that comes out when the green fruit or the trunk of the tree is cut.  mix this with an equal amount of sugar or honey and stir into a cup of hot water.  if possible, drink along with a laxative.
or, dry and crush to a powder. take 2 tsp mixed with 1 glass water or some honey 3 times a day for 7 days.
papayas can also be used for treating pressure sores.  the fruit contains chemicals that help soften and make dead flesh easier to remove.  first clean and wash out a pressure sore that has dead flesh in it.  then soak a sterile cloth or gauze with "milk" from the trunk or green fruit of papaya plant and pack this into the sore.  repeat cleaning and repacking 3x a day.

HOMEMADE CASTS - for keeping broken bones in place
in mexico several different plants such as tepeguaje (a tree of the bean family) and solda con solda (a huge, tree-climbing arum lily) are used to make casts.  however, any plant will do if a syrup can be made from it that will dry hard and firm and will not irritate the skin.  in india, traditional bone-setters make casts using a mixture of egg whites and herbs instead of a syrup made from plant juices.  but the method is similar.  try out different plants in your area.

for a cast using tepeguaje: put 1 kilo of the bark into 5 liters of water and boil it until only 2 liters is left.  strain and boil until a thick syrup is formed.  dip strips of flannel or clean sheet in the syrup and carefully use as follows:

make sure the bones are in a good position (details on another page)

do not put the cast directly against the skin.

wrap the arm or leg in a soft cloth.

then follow with a layer of cotton or wild kapok.

finally, put on the wet cloth strips so that they form a cast that is firm but not too tight.

most doctors recommend that the cast cover the joint above and the joint below the break, to keep the broken bones from moving.

this would mean that, for a broken wrist, the cast should cover almost the whole arm (leaving finger tips uncovered so you can see if they keep a good color) from the hand to past the elbow.

however, traditional bone-setters in china and latin america use a short cast on a simple break of the arm saying that a little movement of the bone-ends speed healing.  recent scientific studies have proben this to be true.

a temporary leg or arm splint can be made of cardboard, folded paper, or the thick curved stem of a dried banana or palm leaf.

caution:  even if the cast is not every tight when you put it on, the broken limb may swell up later.  if the person complains that the cast is too tight, or if his fingers or toes become cold, white, or blue, take the cast off and put on a new, looser one.

never put a cast over a cut or wound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chaunska

Re: Where There Is No Doctor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
Very good post Kitty,  Lots of good information here.    I have this book and it is very good.

probe64322

• stringers
    • n/a
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
This is a free download off the net so if anyone is interested then just copy this below in your browsers address bar & it should let you save it,it`s a pdf file.

weblife.org/pdf/where_there_is_no_doctor.pdf

P.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
thank you

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Make herbal remedies
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:01:28 AM »
Long how-to article:

"Make Your Own Simple Herbal Remedies"  at  Make Your Own Simple Herbal Remedies .

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: MEDICINAL PLANTS/HOMEMADE CASTS
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
many plants have curative powers.  some of the best modern medicines are made from wild herbs.  nevertheless, not all "curative herbs" people use have medicinal value... and those that have are sometimes used the wrong way.  try to learn about the herbs in your area and find out which ones are worthwhile.
ANGEL'S TRUMPET (datura arborea)
the leaves of this and certain other members of the nightshade family contain a drug that helps to calm intestinal cramps, stomach aches, and even gallbladder pain.
grind up 1 or 2 leaves of the angel's trumpet and soak them for a day in 7 tablespoons (100 ml) of water.
doseage: between 10-15 drops every 4 hours (adults only).
WARNING: angel's trumpet is very poisinous if you take more than the recommended dose.

CORN SILK (the tassels or 'silk' from an ear of maize)
a tea made from corn silk makes a person pass more urine.  this can help reduce swelling of the feet - especially in pregnant women.
boil a large handful of corn silk in water and drink 1-2 glasses.  it is not dangerous.

GARLIC
a drink made from garlic can often get rid of pinworms and diarrhea.
chop finely, or crush, 4 garlic cloves and mix with one glass of liquid (water, juice or milk).
dosage:  for pinworms, drink 1 glass daily for 3 weeks.  for diarrhea, drink 1 glass every 2 hours until diarrhea stops.
(garlic treatments for vaginal infections are on a different page).

CARDON CACTUS (pachycerius pectin-aboriginum)
cactus juice can be used to clean wounds when there is no boiled water and no way to get any.  cardon cactus also helps stop a wound from bleeding, because the juice makes the cut blood vessels squeeze shut.
cut a piece of the cactus with a clean knife and press firmly against the wound.
when the bleeding is under control, tie a piece of the cactus to the wound with a strip of cloth.
after 2-3 hours, take off the cactus and clean the wound with boiled water and soap.  (more instructions on wound care/bleeding control on another page).

ALOE VERA (sabila)
aloe vera can be used to treat minor burns and wounds.  the thick, slimy juice inside the plant calms pain and itching, aids healing, and helps prevent infection.  cut off a piece of the plant, peel back the outer layer, and apply the fleshy leaf or juice directly to the burn or wound.
aloe can also help treat stomach ulcers and gastritis.  chop the spongy leaves into small pieces, soak them in water overnight, and drink one glass of the slimy, bitter liquid every 2 hours.

PAPAYA
ripe papayas are rich in vitamins and also aid digestion.  eating them is especially helpful for weak or old people who complain of upset stomach when they eat meat, chicken, or eggs.  papaya makes these foods easier to digest.
papaya can also help get rid of intestinal worms.   collect 3 or 4 teaspons (15-20ml) of the "milk" that comes out when the green fruit or the trunk of the tree is cut.  mix this with an equal amount of sugar or honey and stir into a cup of hot water.  if possible, drink along with a laxative.
or, dry and crush to a powder. take 2 tsp mixed with 1 glass water or some honey 3 times a day for 7 days.
papayas can also be used for treating pressure sores.  the fruit contains chemicals that help soften and make dead flesh easier to remove.  first clean and wash out a pressure sore that has dead flesh in it.  then soak a sterile cloth or gauze with "milk" from the trunk or green fruit of papaya plant and pack this into the sore.  repeat cleaning and repacking 3x a day.

HOMEMADE CASTS - for keeping broken bones in place
in mexico several different plants such as tepeguaje (a tree of the bean family) and solda con solda (a huge, tree-climbing arum lily) are used to make casts.  however, any plant will do if a syrup can be made from it that will dry hard and firm and will not irritate the skin.  in india, traditional bone-setters make casts using a mixture of egg whites and herbs instead of a syrup made from plant juices.  but the method is similar.  try out different plants in your area.

for a cast using tepeguaje: put 1 kilo of the bark into 5 liters of water and boil it until only 2 liters is left.  strain and boil until a thick syrup is formed.  dip strips of flannel or clean sheet in the syrup and carefully use as follows:

make sure the bones are in a good position (details on another page)

do not put the cast directly against the skin.

wrap the arm or leg in a soft cloth.

then follow with a layer of cotton or wild kapok.

finally, put on the wet cloth strips so that they form a cast that is firm but not too tight.

most doctors recommend that the cast cover the joint above and the joint below the break, to keep the broken bones from moving.

this would mean that, for a broken wrist, the cast should cover almost the whole arm (leaving finger tips uncovered so you can see if they keep a good color) from the hand to past the elbow.

however, traditional bone-setters in china and latin america use a short cast on a simple break of the arm saying that a little movement of the bone-ends speed healing.  recent scientific studies have proben this to be true.

a temporary leg or arm splint can be made of cardboard, folded paper, or the thick curved stem of a dried banana or palm leaf.

caution:  even if the cast is not every tight when you put it on, the broken limb may swell up later.  if the person complains that the cast is too tight, or if his fingers or toes become cold, white, or blue, take the cast off and put on a new, looser one.

never put a cast over a cut or wound.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent Topic, BuddhaKitty.
Some of the info you post here will also be pasted over in this Topic,
Healing plants and herbs
Started by yowbarb
« on: July 25, 2010,
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?action=post;topic=810.45;last_msg=45740
Reason for that is, the herbal info you find and post will be put on a list over there. No alpha list started yet... it's all useful useable info.
Keep On Keepin' On,
Barb Townsend
Topic Administrator

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »
BuddhaKitty, BK good posts and ideas, keep on keepin on.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
This is a free download off the net so if anyone is interested then just copy this below in your browsers address bar & it should let you save it, it`s a pdf file.

http://weblife.org/pdf/where_there_is_no_doctor.pdf

P.

Excellent,  probe64322  -  thanks for posting,
Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
We have stopped going to the doctor. Unless something huge comes up, I'm gonna try & find a way to treat everything myself.
Erv

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
I don't think I've quite come to terms with what it would be like without a doctor.  Becoming severely ill or injuring oneself without professional help is a scary thought.

errrv

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 06:31:54 AM »
I don't think I've quite come to terms with what it would be like without a doctor.  Becoming severely ill or injuring oneself without professional help is a scary thought.

I am a professional! :) doesn't work well when I am injured though. Kids still know how to dial 911.
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

I am a professional! :) doesn't work well when I am injured though. Kids still know how to dial 911.
Erv

Hopefully you will have another team member who is a medic...
My thoughts go to this sort of thing all the time lately...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

Erv

Hopefully you will have another team member who is a medic...
My thoughts go to this sort of thing all the time lately...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

I hope so, too.  There are a few key people who would be good to have in a group, someone with medical training or a doctor is definitely one of those!

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
Recently my sister who works with a lot of wildlife at a preserve, got a staph infection in her ear canal. She finally went to a Doctor who gave her some cream. That helped only a couple of days and it was really driving her crazy. Out of desperation she sprayed Lysol in her ear which stung but by this point the sting felt good because of the itch. Within 12 hrs her ear was no longer swollen and itchy and she is putting some horse salve on it till the ear heals. So keep Lysol spray on the list because it may save you from staph{{:>)                                    l
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!