Author Topic: GARDENING  (Read 12674 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: GARDENING
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
I tried to post two pictures of parsnips, one being RAW format, and the other being S3 suitable for email format, but after waiting for than 5 minutes, with no changes, it is obviously a problem.  Now to sort it all out.  I suspect the RAW format is larger.  Will work on this.

The pics I tried to post showed firm, crisp parsnips I dug a couple of days ago for the goats.  The parsnips sat in the ground all winter, during which the night time temp's dropped to -30 deg. F one night, and -10 and -20 or so a number of other nights, making it a very long and very cold winter, as many others experienced in the eastern and central U. S. and no doubt elsewhere this past winter.

The parsnips is very hardy, and probably the most hardy crop I know, that does not seem to suffer the extreme temperature, as most other root crops would.  Maybe I can figure out how to post the pics later.

The problem was that one photo was too huge to be practical for uploading.  It took 12-14 minutes just to load from the sd card on to computer.  Yikes.  Well, let's see if the RAW format photo works like a charm like it did last night:

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
ilinda, that's well done! Looks like you are learning quite a bit about photography.
Send me those other photos by email and I will upload them to FTP.
Thanks!
 :)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
Nice pic! and nice parsnips!!  Have you been able to do much yet this year?  So far what I have truly got is a big pile of good intentions, and if I don't get started soon, I may as well just buy the plants to put in the ground when I plant my seeds!!  I did manage to get to the store to get what I needed, but I just haven't been able to find the time to get those little seeds in their little trays yet!! Sigh...never enough hours in the day!  ;D

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »
Nice pic! and nice parsnips!!  Have you been able to do much yet this year?  So far what I have truly got is a big pile of good intentions, and if I don't get started soon, I may as well just buy the plants to put in the ground when I plant my seeds!!  I did manage to get to the store to get what I needed, but I just haven't been able to find the time to get those little seeds in their little trays yet!! Sigh...never enough hours in the day!  ;D
Yes, I've been able to get into gardening full steam this year.  Honestly, I have no idea why, but this is the first year in my entire life of 70 years that I do not feel pressured.  I really have no idea why!!!  I love it!
So, yes, I did plant 62 shallots (from my saved seed) on 3-19, and yesterday I dug the parsnip bed, and today will plant as many as can fit, hopefully 150-200.  Parsnips are one of the most durable crops.  Our parsnip seed crop, which remained in the ground all winter, even during -30deg. F, once, and -10 and -20 deg. F. several times, is alive and healthy and now beginning to enter the second phase of growth (biennials  producing seed their second season).  So my new parsnip bed is elsewhere in the garden and the parsnip seed bed is where the roots grew last year.  Saving seed does really take a little more space, but it's worth it.
BTW, thank you for the compliment.

You sound like you are stretched pretty thin and I can empathize totally as I was that way every year previously.  Good luck and hang in there.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »
Yes, I've been able to get into gardening full steam this year.  Honestly, I have no idea why, but this is the first year in my entire life of 70 years that I do not feel pressured.  I really have no idea why!!!  I love it!
So, yes, I did plant 62 shallots (from my saved seed) on 3-19, and yesterday I dug the parsnip bed, and today will plant as many as can fit, hopefully 150-200.  Parsnips are one of the most durable crops.  Our parsnip seed crop, which remained in the ground all winter, even during -30deg. F, once, and -10 and -20 deg. F. several times, is alive and healthy and now beginning to enter the second phase of growth (biennials  producing seed their second season).  So my new parsnip bed is elsewhere in the garden and the parsnip seed bed is where the roots grew last year.  Saving seed does really take a little more space, but it's worth it.
BTW, thank you for the compliment.

You sound like you are stretched pretty thin and I can empathize totally as I was that way every year previously.  Good luck and hang in there.

ilinda, Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed your reply post!  Thanks for your kind words, greatly appreciated.  Yes, sometimes when one's plate gets overfilled, you just need to stop and smell the roses for a bit and realize you are not superwoman!!  What gets done, gets done; and what doesn't, well it just doesn't!!  ;D
Good Luck with your garden this year!  It certainly sounds like you are well on your way to a great season, so please keep us updated!  ;D

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
One of my daughters has struggled with gardening for a couple of years in her new house in the country.  Lots of weeds and not enough abundant produce.  She was having to spend a lot of time out there weeding and watering.  I got her the book by Ruth Stout called "The No Work Garden Book". 

Despite a lot of disagreement from her husband, (they had both been obsessed with picture book ideas of gardens which are weed free featuring nice clean walking paths in between the rows,) she overrode his objections and mulched it with straw, etc.  Last summer they hardly had to weed at all, did not have to water as much, and had such a yield that they could not even can and freeze it all, and was able to share the overflow with family and friends.  She was so excited.

I learned about this method from my mother, who was an avid gardener. She was a vegetarian and raised almost everything she ate.  She also worked full time.  You can get Ruth Stout's books on Amazon and they are also available used.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
I never thought about mulching my garden with straw to keep the weeds down.  I have actually let weeds grow in my garden once my plants were well established.  It started because of a lack of time to do weeding, but then I thought I would see if there would be any benefits from this "lazy" way of gardening.

Something I observed while weeding frequently with a hoe was that it seemed to lead to soil erosion.  When I let the grass grow, there was less erosion and more dew formation, even if it hadn't rained for a couple days.  So I felt this was a good idea.  But I was criticized for having a sloppy, unattractive garden.  I was told I wasn't a "real" gardener for letting my garden "go".

But now, that I know there is a book about it, I may point my criticizers in that direction.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »
I never thought about mulching my garden with straw to keep the weeds down.  I have actually let weeds grow in my garden once my plants were well established.  It started because of a lack of time to do weeding, but then I thought I would see if there would be any benefits from this "lazy" way of gardening.

Something I observed while weeding frequently with a hoe was that it seemed to lead to soil erosion.  When I let the grass grow, there was less erosion and more dew formation, even if it hadn't rained for a couple days.  So I felt this was a good idea.  But I was criticized for having a sloppy, unattractive garden.  I was told I wasn't a "real" gardener for letting my garden "go".

But now, that I know there is a book about it, I may point my criticizers in that direction.

One good thing about dandelions - edible.  :)
Hang in there and don't let the fussheads spoil your trip.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
I've had fried dandelions.  I thought they tasted like mushrooms.  Anyway, I'm so used to people thinking I'm weird, that if they don't think that, I think there might be something wrong with me!

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »
Well, I had to bring in the tomato plants that were hardening up in their pots outside last night and cover up the few things I had managed to get planted because of the frost warning.  I don't think we actually did get the frost after all that, but better to be safe than sorry!  Steedy, have you had any recent frost warnings in your area??  You are probably far enough south to have it not happen as much as it does up here though.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
I've had fried dandelions.  I thought they tasted like mushrooms.  Anyway, I'm so used to people thinking I'm weird, that if they don't think that, I think there might be something wrong with me!

Always someone there to rain on a person's parade - or they can try, hehe.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
Well, I had to bring in the tomato plants that were hardening up in their pots outside last night and cover up the few things I had managed to get planted because of the frost warning.  I don't think we actually did get the frost after all that, but better to be safe than sorry!  Steedy, have you had any recent frost warnings in your area??  You are probably far enough south to have it not happen as much as it does up here though.

Enlightenme, you were on here and I missed it.   ;)
Yes crazy weather still up there...I hope the frost warnings are over soon...
Good Luck with all the lovely plants!
 :)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »

Haven't had freeze warnings for about two weeks now!  Last week the lows were in the 40's, but this week they're in the 60's.  Right now, I have my seedlings outside getting them ready to go in the ground next week.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
Just got this in my email today.  I've heard a lot of people say they have a feeling this summer will be a bad one for growing things.  I had wondered about that myself earlier this year, but after winter finally ended thought things would be OK.  I now understand why I have so many pepper plants and planted more carrots than I normally do.  My soul must have been telling me something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every day, millions of Americans drive to the grocery store to purchase fruits and vegetables, rarely thinking where the produce came from or what they would do if it’s no longer available.

That nightmare scenario, though, could happen far sooner than you may envision, and it’s the subject of this week’s Off The Grid Radio.

California, the producer of half of America’s most popular fruits and vegetables, is in the middle of a so-called mega drought, and by this time next year, grocery stores could be void of such popular items as broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, bell peppers and carrots, not to mention peaches, strawberries and plums. That’s because California produces more than 90 percent of the nation’s share of those crops.

Our guest, Richard Howitt of the University of California, Davis, says the drought is forcing farmers to rely on backup water sources which also are running low.

We discuss:
• How 20th century history could be a predictor of the future.
• What could happen to the nation’s food supply, not only in the next few months, but decades down the road.
 • What you can do to avoid the crisis.
The drought already is having a major impact, as food prices skyrocket nationwide. If current conditions hold, it will get only worse. Learn what to do.
 Click here to listen to this week's interview.

Want to share Off the Grid Radio with your friends and family? Each week's episode is now on CD! Go to your favorite episode and order your copy today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
It has been nice here the only thing wrong is it got cold enough so my apple trees did well but I will not have any oranges this year.  :(

Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums , and Figs are doing great.

Some wild Black Berries growing.

Cherry and reg. tomatoes doing good.

Cucumbers starting to come in.