Author Topic: collecting the necessities while staying under the radar...  (Read 7044 times)

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
collecting the necessities while staying under the radar...
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
hello all, hope you've been well.  a topic i would love to hear suggestions on is this... if one lives in a small apartment complex, has decided to order most bug-out supplies from online due to lack of time to shop around on foot, yet wants to do it in a way where neighbors wouldn't be raising eyebrows or asking questions about constant and large deliveries being left at the door.  what if there's no house available to take deliveries?  even if a few loved ones/friends are spoken to about their willingness to have some items delivered to their residences, is there an easier or more practical way to go about this that i'm not thinking of?  thank you.  :)

Georgia B

Re: collecting the necessities while staying under the radar...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
**** Thank you for starting this topic ******

You are not the only one in this situation..... be interested in the response.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
most definitely georgia, could save a lot of time and work if some kind of answer is right under my nose without realizing it... limited resources at the moment!

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
yet wants to do it in a way where neighbors wouldn't be raising eyebrows or asking questions about constant and large deliveries being left at the door

For shipment by UPS or FedEx, you should be able to specify that you will pick up the package at their nearest terminal.

errrv

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
Rent a storage building. Have the items shipped there & leave your key with the desk person. They will accept your delivery & lock it up for a small fee. Have your items delivered in an unmarked box.
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
Rent a storage building. Have the items shipped there & leave your key with the desk person. They will accept your delivery & lock it up for a small fee. Have your items delivered in an unmarked box.
Erv

Good idea!
I didn't see your post and I just posted something similar but not quite the same.
Maybe your idea is better...
 :)

gkbucks

• Trusted Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
I understand 100% where you are coming from on this!  I live in a small apartment complex and had a 55 gallon plastic drum (for water storage) delivered!  I live on the top floor and many people did see it delivered!  I just told them the truth!  I couldn't  say it was a "rain barrel"!  I am trying to feel out who would be on my side and who would not!  It is fairly easy because I live in a 62 years and older building!  Some also know that I have freeze dried food (need water)!

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
i like all of your ideas on this.  jimfarmer, i'll probably go with having the items shipped to the nearest fedex/ups, and i'll save the us postal for smaller, more valuable items to be sporatically mailed home.  i spoke with someone from thereadystore.com today and asked about some of their mre packages, he said the biggest one would probably fit in about 3-4 55-gallon sized barrels (i asked him to compare it to something i could visualize since i couldn't figure it out from the photo online) - and he said it could be shipped to the nearest fedex terminal.  erv, space is an issue too, so it's all about the biggest value available in my area that's secure enough.  but, i'm thinking of bringing everything in myself rather than have it shipped there... just paranoid like that   ;D
the last thing i need to do is choose a 4-wheel drive truck/suv... has to fit a lot of criteria, and under a budget...  would consider a trade-in as well for something that can be driven every day.
gkbucks, i have no idea what i'd tell my neighbors if one of them noticed. what sort of reactions have you gotten from yours?  which reminds me... a couple weeks ago, one of my neighbors told me she wouldn't be here on the eve of 11-11-11.  i asked her where she was going and she was hesitant and said, "uh, just an event..., it's big but," then paused and said "just an event."  and changed the topic.  made me wonder...

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »
Hello Kitty!
Good to see you are still on topic.  You have been blessed with some very good responses.  Are you planning on taking your "supplies" with you when you roam?  Are you still heading East?

Best wishes,
Mark

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »
hello mark!  yes, this is a very knowledgable group. i learn something every time i log on and read.  i bow my head to everyone helping me out with ideas, too - many thanks!
i would like to take as much as i can with me in a vehicle that can seat 8 people and have 4wheel drive.... am i asking for too much  ???  still heading east too, although i have a bunch of detailed maps of california, arizona and utah, i haven't planned a main route or any alternate routes yet.  hope this can all get done before it becomes too late.

Hello Kitty!
Good to see you are still on topic.  You have been blessed with some very good responses.  Are you planning on taking your "supplies" with you when you roam?  Are you still heading East?

Best wishes,
Mark

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »
This time of year if you had neighbors that asked you could pass it off as online shopping for Christmas.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
This time of year if you had neighbors that asked you could pass it off as online shopping for Christmas.

Excellent!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »
hello all, hope you've been well.  a topic i would love to hear suggestions on is this... if one lives in a small apartment complex, has decided to order most bug-out supplies from online due to lack of time to shop around on foot, yet wants to do it in a way where neighbors wouldn't be raising eyebrows or asking questions about constant and large deliveries being left at the door.  what if there's no house available to take deliveries?  even if a few loved ones/friends are spoken to about their willingness to have some items delivered to their residences, is there an easier or more practical way to go about this that i'm not thinking of?  thank you.  :)

I do feel the best idea is what Erv had posted. I had part of the idea but his carries it further. 
Supplies to be delivered during business hours right to your storage spot.
Trustworthy people and just small fee, hopefully.
Let us know how it works if U try that.
- Yowbarb

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »
The Holiday shopping season may be good cover for your deliveries!

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
yes, the holiday season!  i realized that on black friday  ;D  and i'm trying to get everything before the start of 2012.

perfecto!