Author Topic: collecting the necessities while staying under the radar...  (Read 7668 times)

Endtimesgal_2012

Re: collecting the necessities while staying under the radar...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
When I was purchasing my dehydrated food from WalMart last week, the clerk told me it is flying off the shelves, and that many "campers" are purchasing it for their camping trips.  Sounds like a good story to me, and if you don't purchase multiples at once of the same item, it should not alert anyone.  And the cans can even be stored under your bed usually, and no one the wiser.  I also emptied out my linen closet and used it for a pantry.

You can also say you just purchased a ski cabin or summer home on the lake and you are wanting to stock food supplies which will last long term.  Who will be the wiser?

Plantman40

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but could not resist telling you all about it.  Last night I rented a movie from redbox titled "Take Shelter."  It was not the greatest acting movie, and seemed a bit slow, but I felt the ending justified the means and that the movie has a great message for all of us.  It was about a man who started having nightmares about a coming disastrous storm and he became so worried, he took out a home improvement loan against his house and built a tornado shelter.  Everyone thought he was nuts, and even his wife had a hard time with it.  He began to think he was mental and started seeing a therapist who recommended they take a trip to the beach and relax.  They got there and guess what?  Oh yes, the horrible storm came and there they were away from all his preps and obviously they would have a terrible time surviving, if at all.  The moral of the story is:  Don't second guess yourself, and don't worry about what others think of you, and stay focused, because when you least expect it TSHTF. I was encouraged by the ending, and took heart that even though we sometimes doubt ourselves and wonder if we are crazy to believe in a shift, and even though things are pretty quiet right now, that could change overnight.  Stay vigilant and comfort yourselves that you are aware and prepared.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Plantman and Endtimesgal, both very interesting posts, thanks!  I think I would like to try to rent that movie you mentioned Endtimesgal, sounds like one I'd like to sneak in on the hubby one night!  I've almost got him convinced to build us a storm shelter or mini underground bunker of some sort, but the key word here is almost!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »
When I was purchasing my dehydrated food from WalMart last week, the clerk told me it is flying off the shelves, and that many "campers" are purchasing it for their camping trips.  Sounds like a good story to me, and if you don't purchase multiples at once of the same item, it should not alert anyone.  And the cans can even be stored under your bed usually, and no one the wiser.  I also emptied out my linen closet and used it for a pantry.

You can also say you just purchased a ski cabin or summer home on the lake and you are wanting to stock food supplies which will last long term.  Who will be the wiser?

Good idea,
Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm glad this topic was started.  I've been saying, "Fly under the radar" in my mind to keep me from gaining too much attention.  For instance, when I go to the store, I only get two gallons of water.  It doesn't look suspicious that way.  I also keep my 2 liter bottles to store water in too.  Nobody (neighbors, busy bodies, etc.,) knows that I'm doing that. 

Lindon farms lets you buy a monthly shipment of dehydrated food.  I've thought about that, as long as it's unmarked.

Today, I went to Tractor Supply.  They were having a sale on seeds.  A couple were standing there getting their seeds, and later I got extra seeds (I already had some at home).  Again, it didn't seem suspicious, just seemed like a normal activity.  That's the type of stuff I do.

Dania22

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but could not resist telling you all about it.  Last night I rented a movie from redbox titled "Take Shelter."  It was not the greatest acting movie, and seemed a bit slow, but I felt the ending justified the means and that the movie has a great message for all of us.  It was about a man who started having nightmares about a coming disastrous storm and he became so worried, he took out a home improvement loan against his house and built a tornado shelter.  Everyone thought he was nuts, and even his wife had a hard time with it.  He began to think he was mental and started seeing a therapist who recommended they take a trip to the beach and relax.  They got there and guess what?  Oh yes, the horrible storm came and there they were away from all his preps and obviously they would have a terrible time surviving, if at all.  The moral of the story is:  Don't second guess yourself, and don't worry about what others think of you, and stay focused, because when you least expect it TSHTF. I was encouraged by the ending, and took heart that even though we sometimes doubt ourselves and wonder if we are crazy to believe in a shift, and even though things are pretty quiet right now, that could change overnight.  Stay vigilant and comfort yourselves that you are aware and prepared.

ABSOLUTELY!! I second this notion whole-heartedly! Do what you must, while there's time. Everything that I ordered via the internet and I mean it came in "droves"; was delivered right to my door. I didn't owe anybody an explanation, know what I mean?

PS: watch the movie.....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »
I'm glad this topic was started.  I've been saying, "Fly under the radar" in my mind to keep me from gaining too much attention.  For instance, when I go to the store, I only get two gallons of water.  It doesn't look suspicious that way.  I also keep my 2 liter bottles to store water in too.  Nobody (neighbors, busy bodies, etc.,) knows that I'm doing that. 

Lindon farms lets you buy a monthly shipment of dehydrated food.  I've thought about that, as long as it's unmarked.

Today, I went to Tractor Supply.  They were having a sale on seeds.  A couple were standing there getting their seeds, and later I got extra seeds (I already had some at home).  Again, it didn't seem suspicious, just seemed like a normal activity.  That's the type of stuff I do.

In general, I agree with you and I understand that way of thinking.
I am thinking nowadays many people are so busy with their own lives they don't notice much about stuff being delivered or
what people buy. I go to COSTCO or WalMart or the Dollar Tree and people just have their carts piled high with stuff. Married couples or friends hauling out 2-3 carts. I don't think anyone knows or cares...

On our street I see the US postal service, or FedEx or UPS deliver something about three times per week.

Maybe it's time to amp it up and just get fully stocked...

Also anyone who has a survival location why not go dig a hole and line it with reinforced concrete. Dry it. Top it with a concrete lid with a handle. Fill it with stuff and cover it up and hide it. When no one is watching.
Get it filled up and dig another hole.
Put some in your vehicle ready to haul.
Endtimesgal had the idea of putting a storage thing on top of the vehicle.
Luggage rack would help too. Even a few boxes in the car ready to haul...
Best O' Luck,
Yowbarb

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
The Cold War, Y2K, 12/21/12

Sooner or later it will happen right now it didn't happen so no one is stocking or paying attention.
How many of us recall that in 2011 Mountain House was out of freeze dried food for months?
Now is the time to stock prices are a little lower again and items are in stock.
I think we are all in agreement that something is going to happen "Flu Pandemic, Financial Collapse, Solar Flares, etc.)
So keep stocking  :)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »

ABSOLUTELY!! I second this notion wholeheartedly! Do what you must, while there's time. Everything that I ordered via the internet and I mean it came in "droves"; was delivered right to my door. I didn't owe anybody an explanation, know what I mean?

PS: watch the movie.....

Dania and all,

I agree wholeheartedly although I don't like it one bit.  For example, while I really don't need another pistol, a buddy of mine was selling his .357 magnum recently for next to nothing, so I bought it.  I suppose I could have driven all over town paying cash for ammo, if they even had any (which turns out was a big IF) , but I reluctantly bought my ammo on-line.  Which means I had to use my card, and subsequently there is now a record.. .  Now the Feds, NSA, CIA, whoever wants to know, knows I have a .357 magnum.  I hate buying ammo on-line but nowdays there isn't much choice.  Don't think for a minute that the Feds aren't watching who pays cash at gun shows either...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:26 AM »
The Cold War, Y2K, 12/21/12

Sooner or later it will happen right now it didn't happen so no one is stocking or paying attention.
How many of us recall that in 2011 Mountain House was out of freeze dried food for months?
Now is the time to stock prices are a little lower again and items are in stock.
I think we are all in agreement that something is going to happen "Flu Pandemic, Financial Collapse, Solar Flares, etc.)
So keep stocking  :)

bk, you make some excellent points.  :)
Something to consider that these companies could run out of stock...
As far as people not stocking up...I'm just not sure. Last time we went to  COSTCO it was a madhouse. You could barely get through the aisles so many people. It was more than Christmas week...
Without reading some statistics I wouldn't know...You could be right. If so a good time to try and grab some large amounts of stuff.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
How many of you are stocking up on toilet paper?  I have tried all the brands, and personally I like Walmart's great value brand.  I think they are strong, and seem to last longer on the roll than the others.  If you purchase one ply, you simply have to use more of it.  Also some brands have so much air puffed up in the roll that you have to replace it almost every day.  I also think that this would make a good barter item.

But as a backup, we are also stocking old phone books, lol.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
How many of you are stocking up on toilet paper?  I have tried all the brands, and personally I like Walmart's great value brand.  I think they are strong, and seem to last longer on the roll than the others.  If you purchase one ply, you simply have to use more of it.  Also some brands have so much air puffed up in the roll that you have to replace it almost every day.  I also think that this would make a good barter item.

Endtimesgal, thanks for bringing this up. Oh yes, why not stock up phone books; good idea..
I remember my Grandma Vina and Aunt Grace's little farm, Greeley Colo. They had an outhouse then also an indoor bathroom which you flushed with a bucket of water. They had phone book paper in the outhouse, much of the time.

I have found that Wal Mart and COSTCO both have economical, high quality (less likely to clog up the plumbing) TP supplies.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »

Another thing to stock up on would be corn husks.  Maybe not from GM corn, but organic corn husks or even corn leaves, but there are so many husks with each ear.  Plus there's no ink. :-D)
But the phone books do have hundreds or thousands of pages.....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 11:20:20 PM »
Good ideas, ilinda!
:) So many people throw out or recycle the phone books why not save them...
corn husks, yes even better.