Author Topic: Essential Oils & Hydrosols  (Read 1805 times)

Charlie

Essential Oils & Hydrosols
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »
Not sure if this fits here but recent research on making extractions has led me to learning about steam distillation of essential oils and hydrosols.  Don't know why I never researched this before or even really never even knew about it given my distilling activities in the past.  So I have had a bunch of water distiller parts sitting around waiting for whatever. Might as well put them to use.

Will have pics later but currently I'm modifying my stainless steel keg boiler so that it will hold a basket of whatever I want to extract from, adding a five gallon extension to the top plus another two gallon stainless bowl so I will have a seven gallon material capacity.  Got my eye open for a 55 gallon stainless drum for future possibilities! Probably start out with something simple and readily accessible like red cedar wood chips and the juniper tree leaf parts and maybe some pine needles/cones.  Also ordered a bunch of lemon balm (Melissa) seeds to plant next year.

I'm finding this topic fascinating. Never dreamed of all the possibilities.  Input is appreciated, such as if anyone knows of any one or two great resources to learn from regarding all the basic and most popular natural items where essentials are distilled from and perhaps some would like to tell what their favorites are and how they use them. Thanks! 

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Essential Oils & Hydrosols
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
Some of the most useful are

clove
lavender
eucalyptus
tea tree

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Essential Oils & Hydrosols
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Some of the most useful are

clove
lavender
eucalyptus
tea tree

Yes Bob - these are good ones to know about.
I think all these have a variety of uses...
- Barb T.
Topic Administrator