Author Topic: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010  (Read 25325 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
SEEDS
Post here what you know of seeds, how to store, where to get, etc.

Here is a link to the old Town Hall archive thread, SEEDS which has some priceless info on seeds.
Will be reposting some of that info here too, in coming days.
http://planetxforecast.com/discus/messages/928/11742.html
- Yowbarb 
Nov 20 2011 Update on this:  The link will no longer take you to an archive board. A lot of info lost. I will try to find more info on seeds and post here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:38:29 PM by Yowbarb »

Icon

Re: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »
I've been checking on seeds also, have emailed a couple places and no reply. Reviews on Survivalist Seeds doesn't look that great, but their mainly from other places selling, or hosting ads for seeds companies.
Have found one actual user who bought and was satisfied.
http://www.survivalistseeds.com/

Some companies only include 5-10 seeds of an item, while others will have a larger amount. Check on what the contents and amounts are before ordering.

Also note packaging. Some are in paper containers, some are in mylar, some are vacuum packed (not good I think) some are packed in cans, or PVC containers.
I prefer paper, then will store in whatever container I feel is appropriate. 

STORING SEEDS
http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml
This gives an average life span of seeds, tho I read somewhere that for every 10 degree drop in temperature, the life span goes up.

Is there a place for hybrid seeds? Yes I think so.
Your first year planting a survival garden may be a golden harvest, or may be a disaster.
Using cheap hybrid seeds your first year will increase your chances of having food, due to the nature of hybrid seeds. They will let you learn the ins and outs of a garden, will let you see your mistakes in your quest of survival gardening, all without risking your precious Heirloom seeds.
I plan on have a stash of these.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
I've been checking on seeds also, have emailed a couple places and no reply. Reviews on Survivalist Seeds doesn't look that great, but their mainly from other places selling, or hosting ads for seeds companies.
Have found one actual user who bought and was satisfied.
http://www.survivalistseeds.com/

Some companies only include 5-10 seeds of an item, while others will have a larger amount. Check on what the contents and amounts are before ordering.

Also note packaging. Some are in paper containers, some are in mylar, some are vacuum packed (not good I think) some are packed in cans, or PVC containers.
I prefer paper, then will store in whatever container I feel is appropriate. 

STORING SEEDS
http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml
This gives an average life span of seeds, tho I read somewhere that for every 10 degree drop in temperature, the life span goes up.

Is there a place for hybrid seeds? Yes I think so.
Your first year planting a survival garden may be a golden harvest, or may be a disaster.
Using cheap hybrid seeds your first year will increase your chances of having food, due to the nature of hybrid seeds. They will let you learn the ins and outs of a garden, will let you see your mistakes in your quest of survival gardening, all without risking your precious Heirloom seeds.
I plan on have a stash of these.

ICON, lots to think about and looks like good info. Especially about hybrid seeds.
Going to keep this, Thanks
Yowbarb

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
While purchasing our new generators at the Murdoch's farm supply store, I discovered that they carry a huge rack of all kinds of heirloom seeds. For purchasing the generators, we received a gift card worth $50. We'll be able to purchase over 100 packets of seeds with it. I don't know how widely the Murdoch stores are spread, but there are half a dozen in Montana. I'll check it on line.

Re: Seed storage temperatures: There must be a very good reason the Norwegian Seed Vault was built in frozen arctic tundra.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
While purchasing our new generators at the Murdoch's farm supply store, I discovered that they carry a huge rack of all kinds of heirloom seeds. For purchasing the generators, we received a gift card worth $50. We'll be able to purchase over 100 packets of seeds with it. I don't know how widely the Murdoch stores are spread, but there are half a dozen in Montana. I'll check it on line.

Re: Seed storage temperatures: There must be a very good reason the Norwegian Seed Vault was built in frozen arctic tundra.

Montanabarb good ideas. I found the Murdock's site
http://www.murdochs.com/

Gotta run,
- Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
I thought we should add a link on how to harvest and save our seeds, would be good to know! This site had a lot of info. I don't remember if I posted this before or not. Ahh the memory it was a wonderful thing, I miss it a lot  ;D

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
I thought we should add a link on how to harvest and save our seeds, would be good to know! This site had a lot of info. I don't remember if I posted this before or not. Ahh the memory it was a wonderful thing, I miss it a lot  ;D

Linda I'm also not sure if this got posted already or not...
this is great stuff, thanks for posting.
 ;D   
One excerpt:
Step 1 - Inspiration
Anyone, with little more work and attention than it takes to grow a home garden, can begin to
re-elevate the gardening experience to a sustainable level. Rediscover the importance, magic and rewards of seed saving...
===========================================

- Yowbarb

Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
Found this on a government site.

Seed Storage:  Effects of temperature and moisture

Each 1% reduction in seed moisture doubles seed life.

Each 10o F reduction in seed temperature doubles seed life.

Above 30% seed moisture, non-dormant seeds will begin to germinate.

10-15% moisture content suppresses seed activity and fungus.

At less than 14% seed moisture, no ice crystals will form, so you may store seeds below freezing.

At below 10% moisture, few insects survive.

At below 50o F, few insects grow.

100o F is the maximum temperature that should be used to dry seeds of most plants.

4-6o F is ideal seed moisture content for long term storage (more than a year). Can be higher if refrigerated.

Seeds stored in refrigerator or freezer must be in sealed container, or they will imbibe moisture.

Seeds dried to a low water content take a longer time to germinate.

Prairiesage07

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
Jung Seed Company  - Randolph Wisconsin has 1/4 pound bags of heirloom squah, corn, beans, beets and turnips on the shelf in thier store... I am sure they have a website.

www.willhiteseed.com    I picked up a big pile of seeds from these guys.  Seem to have a nice supply in their catalog.

Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »
I'm not sure if we have discussed this video before, but my husband and I watched it this weekend. I have seen similar documentaries on this. If this corp. doesn't stop it's onslaught of changing and dominating our food source (seeds) we are in deep trouble.  Who would ever think that we have to be careful of what seeds we buy to make sure they are not GMO. They patent these seeds, they will not grow again the next season so you have to purchase from them. This way you can no longer save or trade seed. It's costing farmers so much to replant crops that they are going bankrupt, this is control of our food supply, and since there is a disease resistant gene built in the GMO seeds is it killing off important parts of our eco system? This is a kin to a bad sci-fi movie being played out right under our noses. We want to take good heritage seeds into the future and one way to stop some of this is your buying power. Refuse to buy and use anything with GMO in it. One problem is in Europe they don't allow GMO labeling to be done so it would take a greater effort to educate yourself on whats in your foods and seeds. I am not sure of labeling laws in other countries but it would be wise to find out, there seems to be groups in most countries that oppose the GMO seeds and products so they may be of help. We need to be able to save our seeds to replant and continue to grow food well into the future.

Here's the link to youtube movie.   The World According to Monsanto - Part 1 of 8

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:31:12 AM by Linda »

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »
Are heirloom seeds and open pollinated seeds the same thing?

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »
Actually Montanabarb all heirloom seeds are open pollinated, its a method of saving the seed.
Here's a link to explain it.

http://www.southernexposure.com/open_pollination.p.html

Take care,
Linda

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »
Thanks Linda. That's a great link!

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
You ar so welcome Montanabarb