Author Topic: Materials, supplies needed to get the maximum out of your survival gardening  (Read 3693 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Hi All
This info on the potato box project is from Member Wayne Tom, posted on the old Town Hall forum.
Definitely worth bringing over here to look at.  Have a look.
- Yowbarb

===========================================================================
http://planetxforecast.com/discus/messages/927/11518.html
Survival Tools to Better Your Odds

alaskanwinter

I have actually made a little bit of money and had some fun with a greenhouse/garden so I would like to share.

You can make a cheap greenhouse for next to free.  Mandatory here in Alaska.  Just a PVC frame and plastic sheet are all you need.  If you aren't home to ventilate in hot weather make sure you have a fan hooked up to go off at a certain temperature.  Any garden shop should carry a thermostat setup for cheap.

If you really cram the thing in the spring you could easily make a couple of thousand bucks at farmer's markets selling starts.  Just sell them for a buck or two a piece and you would be surprised how people snatch them up.  Usually farmer's markets are on the weekends so it won't interfere with your day job.  And even rare seeds online are usually one or two cents a piece.

Heirloom seeds are really the way to go.  They are heartier, more disease resistant and they are what people really want.  They are also totally unique from what you can find at a store.  Sorry to all you organic purists...but as a side note although I go strictly organic in my garden organic seeds really don't pan out.  The difference between organic and non-organic is the coating they put on it to keep the fungi from eating your seedlings.  If you want to do organic plan on budgeting for four times the amount of seed you use.

The cheapest container is to buy a Costco membership and buy a couple thousand picnic cups.  Make sure they are of a good enough size to hold adequate soil.  Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainaige.

And don't learn the hard way like I did how to harden off your plants before planting.

I am also thinking of putting in a bunch of tobacco this year as well.  Not that I am much of a smoker other than the occasional cigar but I feel there will be a demand for people growing their own tobacco.  And in a survival situation it would be a highly bartarable commoditiy.  Processed tobacco is subject to federal regulation but growing for personal use is not (at this time).

I am also going to be experimenting with used coffee grounds this year as fertilizer.  I haven't tried it so don't quote me per say but some claim it is as good as chicken manure for fertilizer and most of the coffee waste just ends up in the trash anyways.

Anyways hope this helps.  Hope this helps a few to not learn things the hard way like I did.

Linda

• Prolific Member
Great ideas Alaskanwinter. My husband and I built a similar small hoop greenhouse and it worked well. I have never used coffee grounds but that is worth checking into.  Thanks for the ideas and info.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

noproblemo2

Coffee grounds are great fertilizer, I mix mine with dried out ground egg shells, really is good and natural also for the plants.

Linda

• Prolific Member
Thanks Susan :)

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

noproblemo2

YW  ;)

augonit

Coffee grounds are an excellent way to add acid for your acid loving plants.  I liked your idea about tobacco, I hadn't thought of growing that.  And I totally agree heirloom seeds are the way to go.  Hybrids don't reproduce true from the seeds you save.  I've used yogurt cups to start my seeds in.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
I have read that urine and wood ash combination is the perfect fertilizer.
So, now you know what to do!

augonit

I hope it doesn't get to that!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
We lost some of our posts and valuable information - possibly when we had problems and had to
change to the new Town Hall. Will be merging in some food growing topics here.
- Yowbarb

augonit

I can't say enough about containers!  You can increase your growing capacity an awful lot simply by using containers effectively.  Also, something I noticed about myself last year was after I started thinking of my yard as "my farm", I was much more serious about everything I was doing in terms of regular gardening, composting, preparing for future plantings, etc.  It was a transforming way of thinking of things.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I have read that urine and wood ash combination is the perfect fertilizer.
So, now you know what to do!

Talk about convenient as there would be a superabundance of both,
There might not be much around but those two things, yep.  ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
One idea I had posted awhile back:
Halfway bury a steel container on your survival land. Have a door that you can open/ shut.
Maybe a little gravel or concrete ramp down to it.
You could keep gardening and farm implements there.
If you see signs of high winds coming, fire whatever, quickly put seedlings and potted trees etc. on a wheelbarrow and take them down there.
bags fertilizer, soil, mesh for garden protection, anything you think of could be stored down in there. Not the easiest thing to do if you are not on the site but maybe there oculd be a timer with a drizzle or spray of water on the seedlings, potted fruits and veges, trees.
If you have a trusted person living at the site (who will be part of the survival group) that person could be responsible to taking the plants down ther and shutting them in if necessary. - Yowbarb