Author Topic: Growing vegetables, fruits and herbs in pots  (Read 5519 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Growing vegetables, fruits and herbs in pots
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »

Fruits & Vegetables - Growing Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs in Pots

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/ContainerVeggie.htm

"You don't need a lot of space to grow delicious food at home. Almost anything you can grow in a vegetable garden can be grown in a pot. Herbs especially lend themselves to container gardens. Here's how to grow fruits, vegetables and herbs in pots and containers."

Herb Windowsill Garden - Growing Herb Plants Inside

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/ht/window_herbs.htm

"Many herb plants can be easily grown indoors, in a sunny windowsill or under lights. You can have a herb garden throughout the winter, with fresh herbs to cook with, in your kitchen. Herbs will grow in containers with minimal care."
Vegetable Container Gardening - Growing Vegetables in Pots

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/ContainerVeggie.htm

"Many vegetables lend themselves well to container gardening. Bush or dwarf varieties take up limited space, but produce plenty of vegetables."
.................................................................................
Grow Tomatoes Anywhere
"Perfect tomatoes, peppers and herbs right from your patio or deck. Easy." 

http://www.agardenpatch.com
.................................................................................
5 Best Herbs For Container Gardening
"Some herbs adapt better to confinement. Here are five herb plants that grow well in containers."
[Mint, Sage, Basil, Rosemary and Thyme ] 

http://herbgardens.about.com/od/5bestherbsforcontainers/tp/BestHerbsContainers.htm

Fruits - Growing Fruit in Containers

http://gardening.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gardening&cdn=homegarden&tm=6&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=1&zu=http%3A//edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG243

"You can successfully grow tree fruits and berries in containers, even if your garden space is limited. This University of Florida fact sheet will walk you through how to meet all the plants requirements, so you can harvest kumquats on your deck."
................................................................................
How to Grow Strawberry Plants in Pots
"Tips for getting the most from strawberry plants grown in pots."

http://gardening.about.com/od/berries/qt/How-To-Grow-Strawberry-Plants-In-Pots.htm
Vegetable Herb Garden

"Get Info On Vegetable Herb Garden. Access 10 Search Engines At Once."
http://www.info.com/VegetableHerbGarden
Grow your own garden
"Grow it big, healthy and tasty Learn what really works."

http://www.growing-your-garden.biz
..................................................................................

Article and video Sunset.com
http://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/how-to-grow-veggies-in-pots-00400000012149/

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Growing vegetables, fruits and herbs in pots
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
In one of my hundreds (not really!) of seed catalogs I get this time each year, I saw a new drawf apple tree that can be raised in a container.  I think it gets 2-3 feet tall.  Also, in my research I found that you can raise carrots in one of those black 3 gallon containers from nurseries.  I will try it this year.  I've had no luck with carrots before, and I think it's because you need to start the carrots inside and transplant them a couple weeks after they germinate.  I hadn't done that before.  So, you live and you learn.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
In one of my hundreds (not really!) of seed catalogs I get this time each year, I saw a new drawf apple tree that can be raised in a container.  I think it gets 2-3 feet tall.  Also, in my research I found that you can raise carrots in one of those black 3 gallon containers from nurseries.  I will try it this year.  I've had no luck with carrots before, and I think it's because you need to start the carrots inside and transplant them a couple weeks after they germinate.  I hadn't done that before.  So, you live and you learn.

Thanks for this info! I hadn't thought about dwarf apple trees.
A little more info on apples, including a little bit on dwarf apples. - Yowbarb
"If you are going to plant dwarf trees, two, three or even four varieties are a good choice because you will ensure
good pollination and can extend the period in which you can harvest fruit by choosing trees with different ripening times. 
Early ripening apples will ripen as early as in August, and late ripening apples may last until October and even November
before they are ready to pick.

http://nancysgarden.wordpress.com/page/3/

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
The dwarf apple trees I mentioned are in the Harris Seeds catalog.  Link is www.harrisseeds.com.  It's on page 13.  But they get 6-8 feet tall, not 3 like I thought.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
The dwarf apple trees I mentioned are in the Harris Seeds catalog.  Link is www.harrisseeds.com.  It's on page 13.  But they get 6-8 feet tall, not 3 like I thought.

Thanks, looks like a good catalog to know about.  :)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »

Yup, time to start planning that garden for the year, and this year I want to experiment with a lot more permanent type container/indoor planting as well.  Thankfully, this old house we just moved to has many, many oversized windowsills, which should be great for starting seedlings indoors!  I can certainly relate to what you said about the carrots...I always had trouble with those.  I think part of my problem was not having enough "sandy" soil.  But I'm really anxious to try to grow some of my new seeds I had ordered from Amazon last fall, including the little fingers carrotts from veganseeds.  I had never heard of starting them indoors and then transplanting them though, that's a new one for me!  Ah yes, gardening, the continual learning process!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:15 AM »
Really good suggestions here. I hope Members will print out these Topics.
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
Yes, Barb, Lots of excellent info indeed!  Thanks so much for posting it all.  I'm sure it's going to be a great help to me since it's actually been quite a few years since I've taken on a large gardening project like I've got planned for this year!

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:42:40 AM »
Some herbs you might want to grow.

Grow Your Own Medicinal Herbs

Herbs have been used for thousands of years as a medicine to help your body heal naturally and effectively. Herbs such as Borage, Yarrow, Cayenne and more can be used to treat infections, fight blood loss, treat sickness and more.Check out this list of common herbs that you might use to help you in an emergency.

http://www.thereadystore.com/diy/6889/grow-your-own-medicinal-herbs/?utm_source=rne_thursday_20140116b--google--organic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thursday--promotion--sf_sale_january&utm_content=2post_promotion_btn-grow_medicinal_herbs&trk_msg=5QQS5RGSDN04TB0KS4KLGELHTC&trk_contact=T8U4UKNVGRVIM2H073MBUB0NG0

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:04 AM »
Yes, Barb, Lots of excellent info indeed!  Thanks so much for posting it all.  I'm sure it's going to be a great help to me since it's actually been quite a few years since I've taken on a large gardening project like I've got planned for this year!

Enlightenme, I'm not sure why I missed this post so long ago.  ;)
Come on back,
Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »

Come on back,
Yowbarb

Oh my Barb...Shouldn't the question really be how you don't manage to miss so many more with all that you do???  I can't wait to get my gardening projects started this year.  I'm definitely going with a lot more container type things though.  I have already been seeing those pesky rabbits searching around my garden spot out back....Dang Rabbits!!  They better watch out or they might be come the main course for a very nice stew!!!  :D

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
I have, for the first time ever, sucessfully started tomatoes and peppers from seed.  I planted them about 6 weeks ago and have had to transplant the tomatoes into larger containers a couple weeks ago.  I am so excited because it's never worked before!  I have 50 tomato plants now and 28 pepper plants!

I will be planting potatoes in containers for the first time this year too because of lack of space where I am now.  I'm going to try the carrots in a container too, but because I bought a garden fence last year to keep deer and other critters out of my garden, I will try some carrots in the ground too.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
Steedy, that is so great!  I live in an apartment with a large deck but unfortunately I get only a couple of hours of sunlight on it.  I am hoping to transfer to a different building which gets a whole lot more sunlight, and then I can do some container gardening.  Please keep us up to date in how your efforts are working, it is very encouraging.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
Are you allowed to use roof space at your apartment complex? Another idea that I am looking into is buying a vacant lot in town to use as an extension to my garden. Maybe you could get one.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »

Come on back,
Yowbarb

Oh my Barb...Shouldn't the question really be how you don't manage to miss so many more with all that you do???  I can't wait to get my gardening projects started this year.  I'm definitely going with a lot more container type things though.  I have already been seeing those pesky rabbits searching around my garden spot out back....Dang Rabbits!!  They better watch out or they might be come the main course for a very nice stew!!!  :D

Your post made me chuckle.
Is it finally warm enough up there to start that garden? I got behind on the winter posts with all the crazy severe weather going on...