Author Topic: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas  (Read 36392 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Sharing these foods here. I posted them on my Spark People diet page. It's a site really helping me (along with Nutrisystem.)
English Sweet Crispbread with fruits and nuts RYVITA brand, 1 slice is one serving. Delicious! Calories low fiber high minerals relatively high no saturated fat no trans fat no cholesterol. Got some protein a relatively high iron content. Daughter found it. Publix market.

She also found: Miracle Mayo Calorie Free Walden Farms brand. It tastes like miracle whip to me. Good enough. She also found Fat Free Salt Free Rice cakes at Publix. Publix brand.
(Usually shop COSTCO, WAL MART but Publix has some good items. )
Found at COSTCO: Roasted salted seaweed, Korean, the brand is Being Blue. So yummy! 30 calories!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I am currently dong Nutrisystem delivered.
I supplement this diet with the following foods:
Low fat low calorie type of canned soups - cases, COSTCO
skim mozzarella cheese, shredded - we get it in bulk at COSCO
Turkey or chicken meat, low fat, lean thin slices, deli meats.
Greek Yogurt
Honey
Diet cocoa
roasted green salsa
pkgs fire sauce or roasted fire sauce.
some easy to eat fruits such as pears or apple pears...
More later...
Oh yes didn't diet during the holidays...knew I wouldn't. Doing OK thought... Just had a "combo meal" of diet Nutrisystem chicken fajita, added skim cheese, baked squash and stuffing  from a holiday get together... green veg good leftovers.
Everyone is different I find that foods such as pumpkin pie are not so terribly fattening...pumpkin is very nourishing and has medicinal strengthening qualities. Even the pecans on the pecan pie in moderation are very nourishing... Nuts nourish the lining of the nerves..
If not possible to be moderate between now and January 02 then just allow some then step back and cut back a little.. Enjoy though.... don't be discouraged just get back on that diet "bicycle" and keep on riding until you reach your goal.
I wish you all the best of luck,
Barb Townsend
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:48:21 AM by Yowbarb »

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
A yogurt before one of your main meals is good for you and can help with weight loss. Try the naturally flavored stuff without high fructose corn syrup. The bacteria in it will help clean out your gut and help digestion.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
... Nuts nourish the lining of the nerves..

Barb, I've added a generous handful or of nuts today to my diet for the past (at least) 3 months and I'm happy to say that my MS symptoms have been completely dormant.
If I continue this, get an MRI in a couple of months and see some healing, that would be groundbreaking... For now, it's wishful thinking.  :)

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »
Not "today". But you know what I meant.  ;)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »
Just wanted to mention that somehowI had managed to lose seven pounds in seven weeks, per my most recent Dr's visit.  I really hadn't changed that much in my eating habits, except cutting out the aspartame completely (especially the diet sodas), and just cutting back on the chocolate and sweets.  I really feel eliminating the aspartame is the best thing I could have done, and what might have truly been the biggest part of the equation.

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
Thats great, you lost it slowly and it will stay off.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:06:55 PM »
Way to go enlightenme! We are all rooting for you.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »
Yes - good job!

I've not gained or lost so for the holiday season I figure that is good and I'll get serious about losing now!
Never Give UP! EVER

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Sunnybug you did way better than me, I think I gained a couple  :o
Good job!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
A yogurt before one of your main meals is good for you and can help with weight loss. Try the naturally flavored stuff without high fructose corn syrup. The bacteria in it will help clean out your gut and help digestion.

Buddhakitty - yes very true the ones without the high fructuose corn syrup much better we buy totally natural greek yogurt - either with natural fruit or honey.
 :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
... Nuts nourish the lining of the nerves..

Barb, I've added a generous handful or of nuts today to my diet for the past (at least) 3 months and I'm happy to say that my MS symptoms have been completely dormant.
If I continue this, get an MRI in a couple of months and see some healing, that would be groundbreaking... For now, it's wishful thinking.  :)

I am so happy to hear that the nuts added to your diet are helping/. I think it might have been Prevention mag where I read the nuts are really essential to humans and they nourish the nerves.
That's a good thing when someone can post their success with a food - so nice to share with others too,
Thank You,
Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
Just wanted to mention that somehowI had managed to lose seven pounds in seven weeks, per my most recent Dr's visit.  I really hadn't changed that much in my eating habits, except cutting out the aspartame completely (especially the diet sodas), and just cutting back on the chocolate and sweets.  I really feel eliminating the aspartame is the best thing I could have done, and what might have truly been the biggest part of the equation.

Wow that is good news!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
I have been losing a couple pounds a week on average... will be stepping it up January 02.
the only time I did not gain weight between Halloween and New Years Day is when I was mainly vegan in my diet. Michael and I would totally pig out on the cooked veges, dressing pies and dessert but since our diet was so low in fat generally and so much fiber we didn't gain weight also we would walk a lot and we were going to Bally's three times per week and doing a yoga warmup at home too. We would start out the day with warm purified water, do our yoga (bicycle) upside down stretches followed by the regular stretches just a few minutes. then we would walk around the block a couple times. We had granny Smith apple slices, or Fuji apples. Then he made us fresh carrot juice often with celery. Michael added a clove of garlic - or some parsley or a bit of cabbage ...
We had that 20-25  minutes after the fruit because that's how fast it moves out of the stomach (the regular fruits not bananas etc.)
Perhaps an hour or more after that while we were working,
we had whole grains a mixture we got at the Bulk Bin at Naturemart, and/or Aduki beans cooked with onion garlic or carrot.  In the PM I had a big pot of root veges topped with greens, and some ghee and/or some olive oil and sea salt. sometimes Essene Bread. As I said on holidays I would eat everything at the holiday meals except the turkey...not that I didn't like it I had gone vegetarian.
On occasion I would stuff a Snickers Bar in my mouth...but I only weighed 120 for a long time.
I pretty much got away from that lifestyle... but it worked for me in many ways...
Trying to incorporate those parts I know work for me.
One thing I know for sure the morning routine I described worked for me. Now if you are running out the door and punching a time clock that might not work. I got into coffee again in the AM often I get up whether I am tired or not I do have stuff to do in the AM.
Well you all seem to be doing well and I am sure we will all learn from each other... Going to sign off for the night soon,

Barb T.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:51:54 AM by Yowbarb »