Author Topic: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas  (Read 36195 times)

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »
Well Buddhakitty if you only gained a couple you are probably doing well for the season!  ;) Have to admit that I have to say no to most of the goodies because of my food allergies  :( so that is part of why I was able to manage so well this season.
Barb - that was a very healthy lifestyle! Hope you are able to incorporate some of it back into your routine. Mostly I need to add the exercise into mine - it is very hard to be consistant because of the CF but the Dr suggested Yoga and I'm also trying to do some T'ai Chi and QiGong.
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 05:55:05 AM »
Well Buddhakitty if you only gained a couple you are probably doing well for the season!  ;) Have to admit that I have to say no to most of the goodies because of my food allergies  :( so that is part of why I was able to manage so well this season.
Barb - that was a very healthy lifestyle! Hope you are able to incorporate some of it back into your routine. Mostly I need to add the exercise into mine - it is very hard to be consistant because of the CF but the Dr suggested Yoga and I'm also trying to do some T'ai Chi and QiGong.

Trying to go back to some of those old habits wich were working for me... that will be a gradual process.
Say - that might be a good idea T'ai Chi, etc.
I have a T'ai chi videotape and other exercise videos my daughter got for me...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
How much weight lost since Nov 14 Nutrisystem and Sparkpeople? 15.15#

I copied that weight loss total from Barb's Daily Battleplan and came here to post. (I have to keep a battleplan.)
It is posted at the bottom of my Sparkpeople page, too.
So very far to go but it has really helped me this holiday season; I basically ate all I wanted still enjoying some of the holiday goodies... Working hard on this place.
I feel like my metabolism is kicking in...
Not smug about it  - it would be very hard to do if daughter was not dieting too and if she didn't order us the nutrisystem delivered.
People that are already not so overweight who already have a pretty healthy lifestyle don't need to go to such lengths... but for me it took something major.
Used to be an athlete now there are a lot of things I cannot due due to injuries... but I am starting to learn my post- injury imits, I think.  :)
I feel fine most of the time..
Good Luck All.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
BTW when I say I lost 15.15 # since nov 14, that’s less than 2.5 # per wk. I need to step it up a bit.
Just a bit...
Trying to meet my goal by next summer...
It is just one goal among several major goals. I'm thinking  this getting back to a normal weight will help with everything else.
Holidays set me back but I know I am not alone in that...
Even so I did drop about 3#...
I feel Jan 02 is a good point...for all of us to work harder.
We usually have roast beef or a turkey and some goodies New Years Day.  Maybe those Russian Tea Cakes I didn't get done for the holidays we already had...
Going to be a wonderful restful day and one to pause - before a big push to get things done in 2012... 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:36:36 PM by Yowbarb »

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Sounds like you are doing pretty good Barb!  :D
I'm still just trying to get into some good habits - Forgot to "Weight in" this morning so don't know where I'm at that way. Going to start a journal again in Jan so I think you are right that it is a good time to really get serious!
Keep up the good work!
Never Give UP! EVER

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
Im going to try this. Just got some sesame oil. Supposed to speed up your metabolism.

http://oilpulling.com/

I was having trouble falling asleep- good sleep makes for positive higher energy day
I started taking 1 mg melatonin about 30 minutes before bed. Works great.

Anyway Ive been meaning to check it out online, seeing long term side effects and other things. Tonight I did. I also learned it also helps with migraines, something I have suffered with for many years. In the 3 weeks Ive been taking I have not had a single incident.

And guess what, it assist in speeding up the metabolism and reducing body fat in animals. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin-000315.htm

http://www.sltbr.org/melfaq.htm

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:50:20 PM by jrobert69 »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
Sounds like you are doing pretty good Barb!  :D
I'm still just trying to get into some good habits - Forgot to "Weight in" this morning so don't know where I'm at that way. Going to start a journal again in Jan so I think you are right that it is a good time to really get serious!
Keep up the good work!

Sunnybug Thanks for the kind words but I'm not quite back to being a good example.  ;D
I was doing fairly OK until PM of January 01 2011 - but daughter who shares house with me (blame it on her) treated the three of us - my son who is also here and daughter and I, to dinner at Bern's a fancy steak house in Tampa. Yumm including special dessert booth. We were there 'til about midnight...
Daughter had some things to celebrate and who am I to argue? Moi?

After catching a little winter's nap, weighed in about 2# heavier... Then had a bit of the leftovers from Bern's.
Last night Jan 02, we had Quizno's sandwiches, pumpkin pie and homemade whipping cream. No wine left so we had a non - fattening beverage.
Not quite back on the diet yet Had the last of the chocolate - covered cherries at lunch today - why? I wouldn't want them to sit around 'til next year, hehe.)
We use our diet foods most of the time. Today from this point on, there's nothing around but the Nutrisystem so will be doing that. If I step it up and stick with it I will be at a normal weight no later than September...
Folks, 'scuse it if so autobiographical. it helps me to talk about it.
Everyone please feel free to do the same.
I wish everyone luck...
Happy New Year,
Yowbarb   January 07 Update:
Weight is back down to where I was before the holidays... still losing weight very slowly...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:41:15 AM by Yowbarb »

cbeyer64

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
I love Quiznos!!!  One of my favorite places.  I haven't been exercising much after the holidays.  I have PT later today and will go to the gym as always 5 times a week since I am in the Army.  When I get out of the Army here in the next few months, I would like to try and find some hiking trails, be outdoors more and find a gym.  I am not that much overweight, but dropping 20 pounds would be nice.  I lost 20 pounds while I was in basic training, so much work!!!  My biggest downfall is sweets and candy.  I have to get off of that and have healthier alternatives. 

Chandra

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
Ya - I had some goodies over the New Year too!   :P
I lost 3lbs and then gained it back **sigh**
But that is over so we don't have anymore excuses! Time to get back on track!
Thanks for sharing everyone.
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Ya - I had some goodies over the New Year too!   :P
I lost 3lbs and then gained it back **sigh**
But that is over so we don't have anymore excuses! Time to get back on track!
Thanks for sharing everyone.

Sunnybug, that's right! No more excuses now.  ;D
Well I must be working harder than I thought on this place, back down to like a half pound of my pre - holiday weight...
Going to go log back into spark People site and log my weight...
A long ways to go...
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
Im going to try this. Just got some sesame oil. Supposed to speed up your metabolism.

I was having trouble falling asleep- good sleep makes for positive higher energy day

Anyway Ive been meaning to check it out online, seeing long term side effects and other things. Tonight I did. I also learned it also helps with migraines, something I have suffered with for many years. In the 3 weeks Ive been taking I have not had a single incident.

And guess what, it assist in speeding up the metabolism and reducing body fat in animals. 

Thanks jrobert69  :) this is just the kind of content we need here.
- Barb Townsend
  Topic Administrator

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »

Thanks jrobert69  :) this is just the kind of content we need here.
- Barb Townsend
  Topic Administrator

Yes Thank You! - I'm going to get some oil and try it also. I'm always looking for detox methods, there is so much junk and pollution in our everyday lives.
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
I love Quiznos!!!  One of my favorite places.  I haven't been exercising much after the holidays.  I have PT later today and will go to the gym as always 5 times a week since I am in the Army.  When I get out of the Army here in the next few months, I would like to try and find some hiking trails, be outdoors more and find a gym.  I am not that much overweight, but dropping 20 pounds would be nice.  I lost 20 pounds while I was in basic training, so much work!!!  My biggest downfall is sweets and candy.  I have to get off of that and have healthier alternatives.

jrobert these are good ideas...That is commendable about the gym.(Daughter and I need to re- join the gym.
We have one about ten minutes away, including with the long light we have to wait for. If it wasn't such a heavy traffic dangerous intersection I would probably walk there.)
Regarding sweets it really is a lifestyle thing.
It's hard for me to believe at one time I had my refined sugar content whittled down to what you would find in a couple teaspoonfuls of catsup.
For me it was all about who I lived with, who I cooked with, local friends, where I shopped. Even so, Michael and I would indulge in holiday goodies such as the Millionaire's Pie my mom used to make, or the Russian Tea Cakes I normally baked and brought in a gift basket for everyone.
We didn't pack on the pounds but that was only because of our vegetarian diet, and all the yoga, the gym and also walking around as part of our work. In the past I discovered I could handle the complex carbohydrates pretty well, also natural sweeteners such as honey, barley malt syrup, date sugar, and once in a long while, raw brown sugar.
There are some minerals in those natural sugars - oh yes, mollasses too.
Everyone is different and different at times in their life and health. Some people have to even go off of fruits for awhile to get back in balance. For example they would drink V8 Vegetable Juice or homemade veg juice) in place of pineapple or cranberry.
Well I supose you know all that.
For me no matter how overweight I am, I feel better if I allow some fruits and some cran juice etc.
If someone is truly prediabetic or diabetic they have to monitor how their blood sugar responds to fruits along with other foods.
Well, Happy New Year everyone...

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
When you figure out how to say no to a good tiramisu let me know, I have yet to find out how.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
When you figure out how to say no to a good tiramisu let me know, I have yet to find out how.

I really canot say no to anything like that. The only thing I can do is limit the number of experiences where these choices are given. January 07 Update:
Weight is back down to where I was before the holidays... still losing weight very slowly...