Author Topic: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas  (Read 36391 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #285 on: August 11, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
I dropped a couple pounds...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »
Correction of post , my Reply #284 on: July 17, 2017

I said fresh caught fish, I meant wild-caught (Atlantic salmon, frozen.)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: bread
« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »
I don't really consider bread food... and i know how that sounds in today's world.

A long long time ago... i learned that sourdough bread can be hung to dry and then kept for a very long time. When one wishes to eventually consume it, it is to be moistened and shortly heated and presto!, instant (real) bread.

Now, what most people [sic] call "bread" is made from white flour that even rats won't eat... and that has been kept in silos where they use mercury to decontaminate it...
So what is 'bread'? A loaded question...

But, as preppers, perhaps the most relevant question is how feasible is 'bread' as an option before, during and after a TEOTWAWKI event?
Get your good quality grains now, for kamut found in a pyramid lasted thousands of years [literally], but the grains you can get nowadays may have a much much much shorter lifespan...
Must have missed this post.  Glad you called attention to sourdough bread, as that's all I make anymore, except for some occasional sourdough flatbreads, and sourdough crackers.

The sourdough starter I keep lasts much longer than years ago when I "followed the directions"!  Whatever directions I had said that each time I remove a blob of sourdough starter, I should replenish with more flour and water.  Well, I replenish with "potato water" and more flour (freshly ground spelt berries).  The potato water is what is drained off of boiled potatoes.  After cooling, it is stored in glass jars in freezer. 

Now that I no longer use water, but instead potato water, the culture seems to last longer, and doesn't "go bad" as in the past it would occasionally do.  Also, it can go longer in between bread batches, meaning the starter can sit on a counter for weeks at a time.  Further, the baked bread lasts a LONG time with no mold growing. 

One key is make absolutely certain that the lid is tightly sealed, or fruit flies, etc., will get in, lay eggs, and you'll have the most disgusting batch of maggots you'd ever want to see.  Good if you have chickens, I guess.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
sourdough bread can be hung to dry and then kept for a very long time. When one wishes to eventually consume it, it is to be moistened and shortly heated and presto!, instant (real) bread.

Does this mean that dried sourdough bread can be stored away in buckets, or would it be best left hanging up?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: dried sour dough bread
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »
ya leave it hanging
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #290 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
I dropped a couple pounds...
Lost more weight... not counting calories. Not cutting fat. I do not consume beef nor pork, added the fish with its fat and butter. Coconut oil.
Cut down on carbs - but hey, I still have  a bit of chocolate, frequently in evening, also oat cookies etc. Jam or jelly.
Doc said coconut oil really bad. Helping me lose weight would indicate it is not bad. My lab work will say something definitive.
Blood pressure surprisingly good range last visit. Weight is down 36 pounds from highest point last year.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #291 on: August 15, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
Doc said coconut oil really bad.

He was probably thinking of hydrogenated.  Congratulations Barb on losing that much weight!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #292 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Yes, congrats on your weight loss, blood pressure and no doubt feeling better.  Thirty six pounds is a lot.  You go girl!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »
Doc said coconut oil really bad.

He was probably thinking of hydrogenated.  Congratulations Barb on losing that much weight!

Maybe he was thinking that. When my doc does that (she is usually great) I just go "Uh-huh."
:)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:07:11 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:55 PM »
Yes, congrats on your weight loss, blood pressure and no doubt feeling better.  Thirty six pounds is a lot.  You go girl!

Thanks...it does sound better when you say it. I still feel like a lardbucket but better. :)
(It's all in my midsection.) Not able to exercise like I used to with knees and lower back...
but surgery is ahead and should be able to do more. :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
I still feel like a lardbucket but better. :)
You are hilarious!  (Still laughing--not at you, but at your terminology.) 

Hubby used to refer to his childhood self as "Daddy's Little Fatty".

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:39 AM »
I still feel like a lardbucket but better. :)
You are hilarious!  (Still laughing--not at you, but at your terminology.) 

Hubby used to refer to his childhood self as "Daddy's Little Fatty".

That is cute! :)