Author Topic: Flashlights(battery free/windup)  (Read 5132 times)

LAUGHALOTZ

• Trusted Member
    • LAUGHALOTZ
Flashlights(battery free/windup)
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
My husband and I have gotten some battery free flashlights less than a year ago. They are the windup kind and they worked when we packed them less than a year ago in our kits to prepare. Yesterday we were organizing and the flashlights no longer work when you wind them up. Any ideas on battery free flashlights that we can invest in that are good quality? I have been looking all over and found a combo lattern thing on overstock rating 5. Or do you think it's better to stick to the battery flashlights and/or lanterns? Thanks everyone!
                                                                                Laughalotz
"The soul is healed by being with children."
English proverb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Flashlights(battery free/windup)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
I have both the windup flashlight, and radios.  I never knew they wouldn't work over time!  I was counting on them.

LAUGHALOTZ

• Trusted Member
    • LAUGHALOTZ
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
Steedy...my husband noticed that a tiny bit of water leaked from a gallon of water we had in the same box, but not enough to damage the flashlights, but hey in that case maybe we should look into getting some waterproof ones!! I am big on flashlights, and always keeping an eye out for good ones. Where did you get your windup radio? Sounds like another cool thing. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Laughalotz
English proverb

probe64322

• stringers
    • n/a
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:05:34 AM »
If you are getting a wind up radio get one that has shortwave as this might be the only wave band about when shtf.Just do a search for wind up shortwave radio`s,this is just a few to give you an idea,they are on amazon(scroll down page) but if you do a search you might find them cheaper.

Code: [Select]
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wind+up+short+wave+radio&x=17&y=24#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+shortwave+wind+up+radio&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A+shortwave+wind+up+radio
About your flashlights/radio,you need to give them a wind up from time to time just to keep them healthy,leaving them dormant for a long time as you have found can damage them.

P.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »
Wind up devices with or without batteries tend to be of poor design, a mid range led flashlight and cheap battery powered radio with a few sets of batteries will last several years. you could get a small solar panel and some nicads and have both going for much longer without spending a ton of money. If anyone knows of a good quality device they have had for several years and used several times please share. I have several but I would not depend on any of them, never put all your eggs in one basket.

probe64322

• stringers
    • n/a
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
Well i`ve only had mine about 18 months but have used it often & dropped it a couple of times,i think it`s a great piece of kit & works very well.
Got mine from a different place to this but this page give better info on it.
Code: [Select]
http://www.ogormans.ltd.uk/eton-scorpion-br-wind-up-radio-5879-0.html
P.

throwback1952

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »
LED flashlights are my favorite but you still have to check the batteries I have had LED flashlights the are still working but the batteries have swollen up, leaking and you can't get them out.
But to change them out on a schedule I replace batteries when we go on Daylight savings. Remember to do the smoke detector batteries in your home.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »
My husband and I have gotten some battery free flashlights less than a year ago. They are the windup kind and they worked when we packed them less than a year ago in our kits to prepare. Yesterday we were organizing and the flashlights no longer work when you wind them up. Any ideas on battery free flashlights that we can invest in that are good quality? I have been looking all over and found a combo lattern thing on overstock rating 5. Or do you think it's better to stick to the battery flashlights and/or lanterns? Thanks everyone!
                                                                                Laughalotz

Laughalotz, good idea for a Topic. When we sort out what is a good type to buy even the brand I can put it on the survival list.
Well I could put it on any time but would like to know what kind will last.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
Steedy...my husband noticed that a tiny bit of water leaked from a gallon of water we had in the same box, but not enough to damage the flashlights, but hey in that case maybe we should look into getting some waterproof ones!! I am big on flashlights, and always keeping an eye out for good ones. Where did you get your windup radio? Sounds like another cool thing. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Laughalotz

I can't remember where I got it, but I think you can get both radios and flashlights through Lehmans.com.

LAUGHALOTZ

• Trusted Member
    • LAUGHALOTZ
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Awesome thank you so much everyone. I will keep all your ideas in mind. I have been looking around fo some good quality flashlights. Think that I will stick to the battery ones and LED.         Laughalotz
English proverb

JerryThatOneGuy

• i dont have one
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
just letting u guys know, ive gotten the parts for my generator and ill be building it soon and running test. ill record the building process so if anyone wants to know how to build one, just ask.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
just letting u guys know, ive gotten the parts for my generator and ill be building it soon and running test. ill record the building process so if anyone wants to know how to build one, just ask.

Excellent Jerry, thanks so much and do please keep us updated!  And Welcome to the Town Hall!

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Please post the good or the bad, I hope it works for you. Keep us updated.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
just letting u guys know, ive gotten the parts for my generator and ill be building it soon and running test.
ill record the building process so if anyone wants to know how to build one, just ask.

Welcome Jerry! Looking forward to more of your posts,
Barb Townsend