Author Topic: Signs of the times  (Read 20192 times)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Signs of the times
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
1.  I went to attend a function that had been advertised, but the hall was closed and nobody was there.  Checked the date, time, and place; all correct.

2.  Recently sent this e-mail to a close friend: " When food, water, and electricity are scarce, your neighbors, friends, co-workers, fellow students, and strangers will ask you to give them some of your supplies.  If you give much away, you will die along with them.  How should you react to that situation?  For myself, I will share with one other person only, and we will eat and drink the very minimum possible every day while laying still so as not to burn calories unnecessarily.  I will share with you and Kevin [her young son], but only if you do not just give all of your supplies away and then come to me for sustenance. "

3.  As I was walking home, going up the slope of my street, a teen-age couple were walking just ahead of me.  He had one arm around her neck, and she had one arm around his waist.  Three taller young guys came rushing past me and attacked the boy with their fists.  The girl screamed.  I stopped and watched the action intently, thinking that I might have to be a witness in court.  However, the boy defended himself well.  A friend with a knife came to help him, and they all ran off down the street.  Another girl came to console the crying girl.  I was completely calm at all times, even when one of the attackers looked straight at me while I looked directly into his eyes.

4.  At WalMart, as I went to the gun department to ask for a whetstone, a lady was there buying ammunition and related supplies.  While I waited, I heard her say that there would not be time to put on eye protection first if she had to shoot somebody.  As she went past me, I asked if she was stocking up on food and water also, and she said Yes.

5.  I bought an extra case of distilled water at WalMart, then later put it in a hidden spot in my apartment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:37:24 PM by JKB »

family times41607

• none
Re: Signs of the times
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »
  Jim, it certainly is the signs of the times.  How about wyoming, that is another sign of the times.  Good luck to all

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
Thanks Jim, I see many "little" things as well. Its not as though Im even looking for them, many appear after reflecting on the particular situation.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:01 PM »
[The following message got lost in my botched effort to separate out the messages about bows and arrows.  Sorry, Laughalotz -- jimfarmer]

I have noticed that fruit and vegetable seeds are going fast at the stores, and are alot more expensive than flowers seeds. I go to the grocery store alot and the two times I have been there they are sold out or they are more expensive.

Another thing I have noticed....people are driving scooter bikes, bikes, buses, and smaller cars because they know the gas prices are going up, and they know that they soon will not be able to afford gas anymore.

I am a teacher....and I have noticed a HUGE decrease of children in public schools because parents/parent is becoming a home school teacher for their children. If you know it's happening here in Ca...you know it's happening more all over. I don't think it's just about "not getting a job" or "not having enough money", I think it's about they know public school's are getting lazy, kids are out of school more, and test scores are low because lack of teaching.

So sad, but so real that there is something going on. It makes me want to do more and appreciate more other than living and worrying about every detail "what ifs". I am always preparing and keeping my eye out, but I am not sitting home waiting for things to happen.

Thanks you all, Laughalotz
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:33:37 PM by JKB »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »
[This message got lost during my botched effort to separate out the messages about bows and arrows.  Sorry, Steedy --- jimfarmer]

Quote from: LAUGHALOTZ on February 26, 2012, 08:40:57 PM

I have noticed that fruit and vegetable seeds are going fast at the stores, and are alot more expensive than flowers seeds. I go to the grocery store alot and the two times I have been there they are sold out or they are more expensive.

Thanks you all, Laughalotz

That's why this year I bought more seeds than I'll use, and started saving seeds last year.  Even from the flowers that I grow around my gardens.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »
[This message got misplaced during my botched effort to separate out the messages about bows and arrows.  Sorry, enlightenme -- jimfarmer]

Quote from: throwback1952 on February 26, 2012, 09:01:11 PM

cost of live stock and grain have gone sky high.
    Grain for cattle has gone up at least 30% if the weather stays bad it will get worse.
    Just bought a #2 steer for $1300.00
    Steers at the stock sales were going for $1600.00 to 2200.00 for #1s
    Same steer last year at this time were selling for 1/2 that price.
    This is the cheaper time to buy they expect prices to go up!
    I bought one last year for 800.00 its in the freezer now.
    This one is for later this year. I may sell it buy a new rifle and eat more deer.
    The cost of beef in the market is going to double come summer.
    Cost to feed cattle is going up to much bad weather and ethanol using up all the corn crops.
    Going to be a tough year.

We noticed the same thing.  And at the feed store we go to, the owner said his business has doubled in the past year, he can barely keep up, having a hard time keeping enough of the grain in stock.  He said, "Must be alot more people deciding to raise their own these days".  I guess he would know.  The cost of the grain has gotten so expensive though, that this year we're growing our own!

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
[This message got misplaced during my botched effort to separate out the messages about bows and arrows.  Sorry, throwback1952 -- jimfarmer]

cost of live stock and grain have gone sky high.
Grain for cattle has gone up at least 30% if the weather stays bad it will get worse.
Just bought a #2 steer for $1300.00
Steers at the stock sales were going for $1600.00 to 2200.00 for #1s
Same steer last year at this time were selling for 1/2 that price.
This is the cheaper time to buy they expect prices to go up!
I bought one last year for 800.00 its in the freezer now.
This one is for later this year. I may sell it buy a new rifle and eat more deer.
The cost of beef in the market is going to double come summer.
Cost to feed cattle is going up to much bad weather and ethanol using up all the corn crops.
Going to be a tough year. 

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
I don't remember if anyone posted about WalMart is now selling survival foods, dehydrated and freezedried, in big #10 cans, I checked it out on the internet and they have a lot of positive reviews on their products, I plan to start buying some.  I think that they take up a lot less room, have a 25 year shelf life, and are lightweight in comparison to the equal amount in canned goods.   It is good to see that they are paying attention and offering these items.  I saw that a year ago, in the late spring, they had some displays set up in one of the wide aisles, and it was devoted to all kinds of bug out and survival supplies, so someone is in the know who works in the upper echelons.  More and more people are starting to "get" it.  There is like some kind of mass consciousness working and many people feel that something is coming but they do not know what.  It is making them uneasy.
I got a call from my granddaughter yesterday telling me she has been watching Doomsday Preppers, she really likes the show and she has now purchased more items for her bug out bag and is stocking canned foods.   

cbeyer64

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
That is good to hear that Wal-Mart has supplies of items such as deyhdrated food.  I love dehyrdated fruit.  I ate a lot of that when I was growing up. 
Chandra

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Thanks for telling us that ETgal.  I'll go to the Walmart website to check it out.  I hope they have flour with the long shelf life.  I've been really obessed about getting flour lately.

family times41607

• none
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
  I have not seen the flour online, but they do  have alot of variety of freeze dried, and dehydrated foods.  I like the cliff bars. I bought cliff bars and took them on a camping trip.  Pretty good.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
http://www.augasonfarms.com/

This is the link to the website for the survival foods carried by WalMart.  Of course WM is not carrying the entire line, but  what they do not carry in the store can be ordered online from the website above.  It is on the above website that I found the customer reviews, which were pretty favorable.  I have only copy and pasted the above website address so not sure it will work by simply clicking on it.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
http://www.augasonfarms.com/

This is the link to the website for the survival foods carried by WalMart.  Of course WM is not carrying the entire line, but  what they do not carry in the store can be ordered online from the website above.  It is on the above website that I found the customer reviews, which were pretty favorable.  I have only copy and pasted the above website address so not sure it will work by simply clicking on it.

Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated!!!

errrv

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure gas is about to go UP, so I decided to buy a flash tuner for my truck to improve mileage. Well, not only are they sold out of my model, but when they come back in stock, the price has doubled!
Ugh!

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
Do any of you get the catalog sent to your home from Emergency Essentials?  I get it and I am going to take it to WM and compare the prices to see how much cheaper WM is if at all.  This catalog is available free and you can sign up for it on their website.  they have everything, including Losat pills, BOBS, and all kinds of food and other supplies.