Author Topic: Helicopters In US Civilian Villages  (Read 5979 times)

Scales

Helicopters In US Civilian Villages
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
There are reports of Apache helicopters in south western Ny flying at below rooftop levels in a small village.

This cannot be training or law enforcement, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has feedback as to why this would occur ?

Flying in formation with the team leader coming in close proximity to houses and power lines in a very small village in a rural community raises a few questions.

County Sheriff and local guard bases have no answers or information, the nearest army base is 10th mountain division in Watertown,....waaay upstate.

What would be the purpose of this kind of maneuver ?

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Helicopters In US Civilian Villages
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »
Where is Ny?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
Where is Ny?

He means NY - New York.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:24:12 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
There are reports of Apache helicopters in south western Ny flying at below rooftop levels in a small village.

This cannot be training or law enforcement, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has feedback as to why this would occur ?

Flying in formation with the team leader coming in close proximity to houses and power lines in a very small village in a rural community raises a few questions.

County Sheriff and local guard bases have no answers or information, the nearest army base is 10th mountain division in Watertown,....waaay upstate.

What would be the purpose of this kind of maneuver ?

When they do these sort of maneuvers -whether they are training or whatever they probably do not divulge what it is.
I can see how it is concerning but it is probably not a threatening thing...
I thought there was an alert but not according to this:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/ntas.shtm#current

Current Alerts
•  There are no current alerts.

Expired Alerts
•  There are no expired alerts.

Scales

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
 No,... "maneuvers" or "practice" is not done in residential areas.

If an Apache helicopter is flying between buildings in any residential place, it is usually for a very good reason.

This happened during the daytime and there were 4 helicopters flying in a circular formation at about 300 ft while a single one dropped down between the power lines and a retirement home. This happened twice, so the second time, I decided to check it out. I checked the local guard bases and the sheriff, nobody knew anything.

I actually was able to track down the pilot and spoke to him this morning. His father owns the retirement home and since he and his buds are home from Afg, they decided to put on a show.

being, ex air force, my whole thing was public safety. Flying those things in that manner has caused many fatalities. Those particular helicopters are not the most reliable and after 10 years of war or so, they can be (in my opinion) even less reliable.

The equipment is not a toy and should not be used as such. If someone wants to fly around, they should be clear of residential areas.

Out of all the things we have that fly, military helicopters have the highest rate of malfunction leading to fatalities.

So, some people may view it as a fun show and completely non-threatening, others may view it as reckless endangerment of the civilians in a needless way.

It is just another example of operating outside the rules. I have to wear my seat belt or be fined heavily, but this guy can fly a chopper between houses and power lines. Do as we say, but not as we do.

I grow quite weary of this mentality and sure hope others are too.  The towns with howitzers or tanks planted as decorations in front of the public libraries should replace them with fountains or flowers.

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
That was pretty interesting Scales. I don't know about replacing WWII tanks and what-not at parks but you nailed it on the head when you say that military helicopters should not be putting on an Airshow over residential areas !

Your first post about the incident only mentioned Southwest New York; so I searched some area newspapers for
a write up of the event. Jamestowns newspaper had nothing. Thanks for updating the situation.
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Scales

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Yea, I did speak to the post journal, they said, ...get video.

I have reported many things over the years that didn't get in the newspapers and should have.

probably the best example was we had black snow cover our street in Rochester one time, it was from the dense fly ash emissions from a Kodak coal burning tower.

I called all three papers there, not one showed. All the neighbors were out looking at it, but they just shrugged and went back to watching tv.

the best way to perpetuate insanity is to ignore it.

Plantman40

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
I have noticed in the past few months over my area helicopters with the double blades. They are grey and I assume they are military. They generally fly very low and you can hear them coming. One flew so low over my house that it cracked my kitchen window and the entire place was vibrating. I went outside to watch and this one was just above the tree height. They are large enough to transport military equipment. My nephew was here and He thought they were coming to get both of us when he heard them. lol
I just wonder what they are doing. He is X military and said there were no bases in the area for such activity of these flying in my area.
  What are they?

Scales

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
 Your reaction is the most common and is the desired effect. It is the same with bullies of all types. Intimidation by display of strength and power. They should keep it at the airshows. (which many people and pilots are killed at by the way)

They should not be causing damage to your home. If people started making insurance claims they wouldn't do that anymore. It's probably some air guard dudes flying over their relatives houses to show off. This is very common and inappropriate. You will most likely find that no one else has called to inquire. They sound like transports and are probably stationed at a nearby air base.

I would call the sheriff and report the damage, then the nearest airport manager. You'll find em. They're not hiding, it's just that no one ever questions it.

Chemtrailing went on for years before people started noticing.

As taxpayers, we pay huge amounts of money to set aside massive amounts of land and airspace for the boys and their toys. Make em use it.

If a military person has relatives, they can get a pass anytime to go to the base and see all the stuff. We also pay huge amounts of money for massive amounts of training and equipment for airshows. That's the public venue. Not residential areas.

Cryin out loud, people go to jail for far less dangerous things.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »
Where is Ny?

He means NY - New York.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Since the 'Y' wasn't capitalized, I thought it was the name of a village or region.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:45 AM »
Where is Ny?

He means NY - New York.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Since the 'Y' wasn't capitalized, I thought it was the name of a village or region.

;D

Scales

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »
Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms said it was the kind of news he's long dreaded: A U.S. Navy jet from  nearby Naval Air Station Oceana dropped out of the sky Friday and slammed into a neighborhood.http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-navy-jet-crash-a-day-many-in-virginia-beach-feared-20120406,0,5817557.story

This link has video of a guy talking about how close the jets have been coming into the residential area. It's the first of 3 videos on the left.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/06/us/virginia-plane-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The jet belongs to VFA’s Strike Fighter Squadron 106 – a training division for student pilots. Because of the crash, Virginia State police have shut down Interstate 264 in both directions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126223/Virginia-beach-plane-crash-F-18-hits-apartment-building.html#ixzz1rIZjd99w

errrv

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
I have noticed in the past few months over my area helicopters with the double blades. They are grey and I assume they are military. They generally fly very low and you can hear them coming. One flew so low over my house that it cracked my kitchen window and the entire place was vibrating. I went outside to watch and this one was just above the tree height. They are large enough to transport military equipment. My nephew was here and He thought they were coming to get both of us when he heard them. lol
I just wonder what they are doing. He is X military and said there were no bases in the area for such activity of these flying in my area.
  What are they?

CH-46 marine aircraft. Probably supporting an urban exercise in a city close to you. I did this often during my stay at camp lejeune.
Erv

Scales

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »

Scales

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »