Author Topic: what type of electical item should you buy  (Read 7578 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
what type of electical item should you buy
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
The items you buy and store will vary from person to person you can store disposable batteries and I suggest to store a lot but also look for items that have a port to plug in a power supply, with this you can use your inverter to power them up, or you can go to Radio Shack and buy a universal adaptor they plug into a cigarette lighter or power point 12volt you can change the voltage and polarity they also have many plug configurations. many people here may think some of the suggestions I make are to basic or to 101 and for some people here that will be true but if it helps one person it is worth it. with that polarity if you look at the female port on your device it should have what looks like a C with a dot in the middle this will tell you the polarity 95%+ of the time the center pin will be positive and the outer shell negative, the adapter I mentioned above will allow you to switch the polarity make sure you get it as well as the voltage right, and make sure the adapter you get can handle the power your device uses.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: what type of electical item should you buy
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
One thought is to buy a old RV you can sometimes get them for free on craigslist, and gut it for your shelter they are set up for twelve volts DC and propane, from the stove to the fridge most of the older ones had all three 12v DC 110 ac and propane for the fridge, use the furnace plumbing everything if you are on a budget even if you can afford to buy these things, wouldn't most of us rather buy more food or ammo instead. you could even use the low flow toilet if you bought a small macerator  http://www.emptythetanks.com/macerator/macerator_pumps.htm

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »
Those are great ideas Quartz. I do need to get a lot more batteries stored up though.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
I was wondering how long batteries can be stored...
Not fully understanding it yet...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
Energizer , Rayovac, or Duracell brands of dry cell say they are good for about eight years they can last longer but store them in a way that if the cells leak they will not damage each other or the equipment they are used for. Lead acid like for a car last from 6-10 years going down in capacity as time passes you used to be able to buy lead acid batteries dry and the electrolyte separate and add it when ready to use it, that would be the way to go for most people but I have yet to find a dealer that sells them that way, you must be careful do not buy one if it is damp all the sellers of empty cell I have found fill them test them then drain them they have some acid in them and they would store that way for only a few months before corrosion starts not good. also if you store lead acid batteries do not let the charge fall to low or overcharge them to much both will shorten their life span.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
Yowbarb is there a question about a battery type that I can try to answer for you. I love nickel iron batteries for long term storage but they are a lot harder to use they like to be charged at 16.5 to 18.5 volts it is hard to find a charger that can do that I use a Sorensen 40-50 power supply I saved from the dump they are expensive to buy and the batteries are not cheap but if you are looking for a long lasting battery I do not know of any better, but most people will have to use lead acid batteries I will see if I can find a supplier that sells them dry with the electrolyte separate that way you could buy four sets dry and put them into service only after your first set dies one set at a time you should be able to get 50 years that way and hopefully we will have rebuilt things by then. No promises I have tried to find one before but I will look again. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
1969Quartz0  thanks for the info; I am sure I will have lots of questrions...will be back soon,
Yowbarb

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
 Hello,
 What I am about to suggest as an electrical item to acquire may seem strange. Also,it is not for those severely intolerant to dental grinders.  I know we have all discussed the need to take care our dental needs now, but if in the future, we find ourselves in need of a dentist, this may help.  I have found that a dremel type high speed small diameter grinder works well to grind chipped or broken teeth.  It's not something I would attempt if I were able to get to a dentist.  I had a broken tooth which was very sharp and cutting my tongue. I used my dremel to smooth the edges.  I will certainly get it repaired properly as soon as possible, but the relief gained by this simple smoothing is indescribable.  I realize this is probably not for everyone, but I am going to add my dremel kit to my survival list. The potential drawback is that mine requires 120v AC.  You would need a power inverter to get to  120v AC If you are planning on using all 12v DC.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
Initalone that is a good idea and you can use a Dremel tool for many other things as well a good choice to add to your stock.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 04:40:53 AM »
I have a Dremel, powerful and handy little tool.  :)

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Boonie Stomper

• Trusted Member
  • Reality is but a dream if followed to the source..
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »
Energizer , Rayovac, or Duracell brands of dry cell say they are good for about eight years they can last longer but store them in a way that if the cells leak they will not damage each other or the equipment they are used for. Lead acid like for a car last from 6-10 years going down in capacity as time passes you used to be able to buy lead acid batteries dry and the electrolyte separate and add it when ready to use it, that would be the way to go for most people but I have yet to find a dealer that sells them that way, you must be careful do not buy one if it is damp all the sellers of empty cell I have found fill them test them then drain them they have some acid in them and they would store that way for only a few months before corrosion starts not good. also if you store lead acid batteries do not let the charge fall to low or overcharge them to much both will shorten their life span.
Please... it would help to know more about the batteries, devices required for safe interface during charging and use, alternatives for charging,, and pleeeas  can any clarification be give such as how  to hook everything up and incidental items needed.

for instance, to "run" an older model deep freezer by solar or manual power, what do you need?

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/STAINLESSTROUGH.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:25:35 PM by Boonie Stomper »
there is nothing as pure as a mix of faith and pure imagination :D

dougluvn

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
I am wrestling with the notion of weather or not I should bother with getting things that need power to work...unless i have solar panels.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Boonie Stomper most people will not power freezers if SHTF if you are going to try first buy a small super efficient freezer you are going to need to spend a whole lot of money on solar wind maybe hydro batteries if it is not a DC you will need a inverter. The Sun only shines part of the day and unless you have a tracking system your efficiency drops a lot plus what if the skies are obstructed by debris. It is late for me now but you need to list in detail what you want to power up how much power does it require how often you plan on using it etc. to come up with a system that might work for you it will take more then most think with losses and low Sun Ex. clouds or night  for wind Ex. a calm day Etc. plus most people use more power then think. Also you have to consider battery maint. hydrogen off gassing etc. coming up with a system is great but in can get very involved if you want to run high power items. Give me a little more info. on your needs in detail.   

Boonie Stomper

• Trusted Member
  • Reality is but a dream if followed to the source..
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
Thanks!  It is rather plicompcated  (pardon) as I'm finding out.

Are there SIMPLE ways of 1) utilizing solar film or PV scrap pieces, & 2) coming into an easy fast supply of rechargeable battery storage (reliable and preferably via recycling or otherwise near-free?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:16:04 PM by Boonie Stomper »
there is nothing as pure as a mix of faith and pure imagination :D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »
I have a Dremel, powerful and handy little tool.  :)

Linda