Author Topic: Got Wood? Using wood and inventions to extend life.  (Read 4716 times)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
Got Wood? Using wood and inventions to extend life.
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
Not sure if this topic has been researched, so please fill free to move this if necessary. There will be few things available to mankind once the crud hits the fan. Most likely wood/trees will be the only thing beneficial and easy to come by. I'm hoping to stir the intelligence combined by the members of this site and come up with creative ways to use wood to help make our lives more comfortable. To kick it off I'll start with sharing the information I found on a travel stove. Would be light weight and make cooking/boiling water easier. I look forward to the ideas you all can come up with... Again, if this has already been discussed please point me in the right direction. Thanks..

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6270

Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Plantman40

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
Re: Got Wood? Using wood and inventions to extend life.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

MIDGE Woodgas Stove Build - 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2l3eypfbvA&feature=uploademail

MIDGE Woodgas Stove Build - 02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmVdkWiV370&feature=uploademail

I'll definitely check these when I get home. Youtube blocked at work! :(
-Will

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I have been gathering material for years to make a few and have not finished a single one, the links seem to be down right now maybe they will come back up latter.

bittersweetorchards

• Trusted Member
    • evescidery
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
Got acres of firewood ... have a new unused generator needing 20 hp for 60 Amps of 220VAC so am trying to put together a package of 20 hp steam engine [mikebrownsolutions.com] to run the generator and an outdoor wood fired boiler for adequate steam ... This is an Aftertimes project ... Don't know what to expect yet but thinking a one day run maybe weekly ... Charge a battery bank and/or weld what needs it ... Also looking for a steam engine tractor or parts for one

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »
I've often wondered if solar panels will still provide electricity if the power grid went down.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
We have considered going with an outdoor wood furnace to heat the entire house.  see www.centralboiler.com  A friend of mine has one, it works great, but I do believe it was a little pricey.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:27:50 AM »
I've often wondered if solar panels will still provide electricity if the power grid went down.

If the power grid goes down do to an EMP then most likely all exposed solar panels will be render useless as well. I actually bought a solar panel kit from harbor freight and never opened it. I made a faraday cage for it. Now if the an EMP strikes it will be protected and available to me when i need power.
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:29:01 AM »
I have been gathering material for years to make a few and have not finished a single one, the links seem to be down right now maybe they will come back up latter.

I'm right there with you. I tend to have a few projects strung out through the year!
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:44 AM »
Got acres of firewood ... have a new unused generator needing 20 hp for 60 Amps of 220VAC so am trying to put together a package of 20 hp steam engine [mikebrownsolutions.com] to run the generator and an outdoor wood fired boiler for adequate steam ... This is an Aftertimes project ... Don't know what to expect yet but thinking a one day run maybe weekly ... Charge a battery bank and/or weld what needs it ... Also looking for a steam engine tractor or parts for one

Keep us updated on how it goes. Sounds like a fun project. Hopefully you'll get the results you are looking for. Would be sad for all that wood to go unused... I'll definitely check the link today.
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
We have considered going with an outdoor wood furnace to heat the entire house.  see www.centralboiler.com  A friend of mine has one, it works great, but I do believe it was a little pricey.

Those are really nice! Maybe we can all take out loans and get one right before the Crud Hits the Fan.
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »

Those are really nice! Maybe we can all take out loans and get one right before the Crud Hits the Fan.

Can't say I hadn't thought of that.  Truthfully though, with the price of fuel going up so, it probably only takes a few years to pay for itself...and hmm, if there isn't any fossil fuels, it might be worth the investment, you know?

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »

Can't say I hadn't thought of that.  Truthfully though, with the price of fuel going up so, it probably only takes a few years to pay for itself...and hmm, if there isn't any fossil fuels, it might be worth the investment, you know?

I agree, funny thing is once the crud hits the fan everything is going to collapse and there won't be any bank to make payments to.... I'm definitely not recommending this, because it's not ethical I'm just saying it would be a nice coincidence. Depending on a persons financial state it could definitely be an investment.
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Agreed!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »

Two suggestions you have probably thought of.
1) Secure the solar panels if high winds are starting up. If there is a sudden escalation of earth changes including winds, flooding or fires or quakes. In those scenarios it is better to store the panels underground.
1 (b) secure, store some extra panels underground for use when things settle down.

2) Also they should work unless there is torrential rain or a layer of smoke or volcanic ash.

All The Best,
Yowbarb