Author Topic: Got Wood? Using wood and inventions to extend life.  (Read 4717 times)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
Re: Got Wood? Using wood and inventions to extend life.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »
Well finally bought a blast match and I must say I'm very impressed with it. I've tried many techniques and magnesium bars to start fires with out much success. I ran across a blast match on ebay and finally decided to give it a try and was able to start a fire with the first use. This is definitely something everyone should have in their bugout bags and cars. Also my wife, who never likes talking about prepping, decided to chime in with "Will, why don't you use the dryer lint to start your fires?" What, why didn't i think of that! Dryer lint is a perfect fire starter, and there is plenty to go around. Since her suggestion I've collected tons, and put them in zip lock bags and placed the bags in all our cars and bug out bags.

http://www.thereadystore.com/ust-blastmatch-fire-starter

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:33:05 AM by Willsorr75 »
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
Willsorr, What an excellent nifty gadget, thanks for sharing the great find with us!  And kudos to your wife for the excellent idea of the dryer lint!  Loved it!  I'll bet the two of you make an excellent team.  ;D  Thanks again!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Well finally bought a blast match and I must say I'm very impressed with it. I've tried many techniques and magnesium bars to start fires with out much success. I ran across a blast match on ebay and finally decided to give it a try and was able to start a fire with the first use. This is definitely something everyone should have in their bugout bags and cars. Also my wife, who never likes talking about prepping, decided to chime in with "Will, why don't you use the dryer lint to start your fires?" What, why didn't i think of that! Dryer lint is a perfect fire starter, and there is plenty to go around. Since her suggestion I've collected tons, and put them in zip lock bags and placed the bags in all our cars and bug out bags.

http://www.thereadystore.com/ust-blastmatch-fire-starter

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Good idea, Will.  :)
There surely is no shortage of dryer lint!
I am thinking if someone uses it they should get their face back from it. (Could it flare up suddenly?)
Your idea of packing dryer link gave me an idea it could be used as packing/padding material when hauling storing supplies too...meanwhile assuring an ample supply...
I just found a video, link below. - Yowbarb 
...........................................................................................

Char Cloth vs Dryer Lint    7:56

Hiram Cook·422 videos

Link:   http://youtu.be/YWFIeeVsrLE

Uploaded on Oct 9, 2009
In this video I show that I prefer dryer lint over char cloth for starting fires with a fire steel.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:17:14 PM by Yowbarb »