Author Topic: What can you eat.  (Read 6698 times)

Carlg

What can you eat.
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »
Depending on the time after 2012, we have to ask what will there be to eat?  Probably best to break it down in years or growing cycles.
Given what some are saying the time 2012 to probably 2014 will be the worst. For this time period stored food will be important and what foods will you be able to use from the land?  2014 and on will be another matter.   What about seed storage?  What seeds will work? What climate will you have to deal with?  What animals will survive?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What can you eat.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
Carl I feel that if it is a worse case scenario, as Marshall has termed it - we may not have much on the planetary surface which will be edible. The reason I believe that is the meteorites and even the small fireballs or sparks, from meteorites or from lightning strikes or chemical explosions, etc. I feel the grasslands the the trees will largely burn -that's if it is a worse case scenario. The areas inundated with water from rivers or ocean -those plants probably will not come back... in time they will.

We may have to rely on our canned foods, using up any non long - term packaged goods first; and the MREs.
As I have put in other posts I feel every survival shelter should have:
A little area up on shelf, where they are producing yogurt, sprouts and drying fruits and veges.
Down in some underground or dark corner, some mushrooms. Like the good kind that grows on logs -it's somewhere in Town Hall.

Back in the old Town Hall someone posted about raising fish in a corner tank. The kind you would put in a pond in the aftertime and cultivate and take a few fish out to eat once in awhile. 

As far as the animals (A few posts about this in Bless The Beasts two by two) I am hoping every group who goes underground to
survive will try to save a few animals at least.
A separate dome for domestic animals and pet type animals..or if no money for that an underground steel container, reinforced, hay and water and drainage there... some sort of filtration.

May not seem like the biggest issue but the pets will be valuable someday. If someone has a surplus some traveling group might like to have a pet to keep in their new location. Just make sure they want a beloved pet, not a meal. Cats are innately wild so wherever they go off to they will need to be restrained in a cat carrier and then when it gets to the new home the  people will need to restrain the cat inside for about 3 weeks and then pay attention it does not run off, just to be eaten.
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:47:22 AM by Yowbarb »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
When you are foraging, take your dowsing tool with you.  Instead of testing every item on your skin, lips, and tongue -- waiting a while after each application to see if a reaction occurs -- just point to the item and ask the dowsing tool "That thing is beneficial for me to eat?".  You should get a Yes or No answer, or perhaps a half-and-half answer, if you have practiced the technique a few times.

For a dowsing tool, you can use a pendulum, a pair of dowsing rods (make your own), one flexible dowsing rod, or even your own muscles.    References: www.dowsers.org and www.bio-tensor.com; book 'Power Versus Force' by David Hawkins.
From http://educate-yourself.org/dow/index.shtml :  "Dowsing ... is one of the easiest ways to access a repository of unlimited knowledge ... Dowsing can be used to obtain ANSWERS and information about anything, providing you frame the question correctly."

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
Fascinating data...
will be needed...

Ryan

• Members
  • Trusted Member
  • What matters most is how you see yourself
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37:27 PM »
Depending on the area's you will be frequenting, you should pick up a "Wild Edibles" book for your region.
Try to find one that is not only informed on whats good, but also whats bad! Too many times, people have fallen victim of their brashness and lack of analysis of what they are eating that they get sick, poisoned, or die.
You don't want to incorrectly identify a plant because two totally different wild plants can look exactly the same.
Grab yourselves some Wild Edibles Guidebooks/pocketbooks and become familiar with what is in your area.
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending" - Maria Robinson

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
Hey there noproblemo2

Great list and a long one, I'll just come over your house when things start to get rough.

Maybe I miss it, but where the can opener. If you going to use a flat screwdriver or the chisel with a hammer. You might still need a plier.  I'm not coming over until you get that can opener.

Have fun

8hertz

atx777wxw

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
Basically it will be like the book of Eli

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »
Basically it will be like the book of Eli
Welcome, atx777wxw. Yes, that was an excellent movie with an unexpected ending. It gave me much food for thought.
Live long and prosper!

Carlg

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »
Well there has been some interesting discussion on the topic.  So how about we look at what is will be like if there are places that do not experience the “worst case scenario”, because if the worst case happens then none of this discussion matters. 
So what food and how will you keep it. 
Then the biggest question, will you share?
Sorry for not being online on a more regular basis but work is more demanding on my time.
I also work at a local food pantry and the demand is up almost 300% from last year.  The times they are a trying.
I hope you all have a good new year and I don’t see any of you at the pantry. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »
Carl we do appreciate whatever time you can be here and also that is a good thing working
at a food pantry.
Repeating here excerpts from my post in April,
Thanks,
Yowbarb

"...we may not have much on the planetary surface which will be edible. The reason I believe that is the meteorites and even the small
fireballs or sparks, from meteorites or from lightning strikes or chemical explosions, etc. I feel the grasslands the the trees will largely burn.
That's if it is a worse case scenario. The areas inundated with water from [ocean water] - those plants probably will not come back... not for
a long time.

We may have to rely on our canned foods and MREs, using up any [short - term] packaged goods first. MREs.
As I have put in other posts I feel every survival shelter should have:
A little area up on shelf, where they are producing yogurt, sprouts and drying fruits and veges.
Down in some underground or dark corner, some mushrooms. Like the good kind that grows on logs...

raising fish in a corner tank. The kind you would put in a pond in the aftertime and cultivate
and take a few fish out to eat once in awhile. 

As far as the animals (A few posts about this in Bless The Beasts two by two) I am hoping every group who goes underground to
survive will try to save a few animals at least.
A separate dome for domestic animals and pet type animals..or if no money for that - an underground steel container, reinforced; hay
and water and drainage there... some sort of [ventilation]...." - Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
Hi guys! Just a note, chicken broth makes a heck of a lot of edible food more edible. Put 20 or so bullion cubes in a ziplock & use it for absolutely heinous tasting greens (like pine needles etc). Also if you have stored beans/legumes, you can sprout them for more diversity!
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
Hi guys! Just a note, chicken broth makes a heck of a lot of edible food more edible. Put 20 or so bullion cubes in a ziplock & use it for absolutely heinous tasting greens (like pine needles etc). Also if you have stored beans/legumes, you can sprout them for more diversity!
Erv

Belated reply: Great idea!
YB

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
Erv

My local walmart carries Ham Flavoring!! It's very similar to a chicken bullion powder, just ham flavor instead. My family has been using it to slow cook dried pinto beans.. It makes some yummy beans!!! Also used it with dried green beans...
Will

(Yowbarb Note: I didn't mean to modify your post, meant to hit "quote," instead.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:38:11 PM by Yowbarb »
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
Will, the seasonings sound like a good idea...  a way to get some good out of some otherwise
bland foods. When people are down to the dried grains, beans canned stuff etc. it will really help still having seasonings, oils, etc.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
Erv

Very good idea.