Author Topic: Canadian News, Earth Changes and Miscellaneous  (Read 2223 times)

Lori

Re: Canadian News, Earth Changes and Miscellaneous
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »
Can you send some of that coolness down here to GA. Its burning hot here. :-\

Jeff Lewis

• Trusted Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »
Please send some of that cool air over to Ontario as well!

Rozco

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
Well with all the moisture around here, the Brazeau dam has been opened to relieve flood waters after 30 years.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRSsKObzgI
The St Mary's Dam has been opened too...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjbLdUCf2Y

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/canadian-school-plans-for-monolithic-dome

Canadian School Plans for Monolithic Dome

Carol Lanham February 29, 11:23 a.m. In The Media

School districts in tornado- and hurricane-prone areas of the United States have discovered the benefits of building Monolithic Domes to combat the fury of Mother Nature. Not only are the dome school structures energy efficient, they also can double as community disaster shelters.

Now our northern neighbors are discovering the benefits that Monolithic Domes can offer schools located in frigid climates. In Canada, Great Lakes Dome Company is planning to build an outdoor classroom for GC Huston Public Schools in Southampton. The inflation is scheduled for the last week in June.

“GC Huston is a really unique school; it’s a great school. The principal has been moving in a great direction,” Great Lakes’ Sunny Cushnie told the Shoreline Beacon. “They have all sorts of opportunities…. to expand upon their education.”

Having a Monolithic Dome puts the Canadian school at the forefront of innovation and design, but the most efficient in terms of energy savings.

Reflecting back on the company’s beginning, Cushnie says even he thought Monolithic Domes were too good to be true at first. “So we went and saw a monolithic dome that had been built near Ottawa, and upon seeing that we were convinced that all the information isn’t too good to be true,” he told the newspaper.

Upon his return from a workshop here in Texas, Cushnie constructed his dome home in Southampton, and shortly after incorporated the Great Lakes Dome Company with Collin MacLeod. "Since that time, the pair has built 14 homes. They are now working to educate people about the benefits of the structures with hopes of expanding their company both in staff and territory.

“We feel that this technology would be most beneficial in northern climates, and we are well aware with issues in the building in the arctic," MacLeod said in the interview. “This building system would solve all of their problems.”

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/canadian-school-plans-for-monolithic-dome

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:27:30 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/09/07/nl-hurricane-leslie-preparations-907.html

N.L. braces for tropical storm Leslie
Hurricane downgraded to tropical storm, but expected to regain strength
CBC News Posted: Sep 7, 2012 12:12 PM NT Last Updated: Sep 7, 2012 7:12 PM NT Read 34 comments34

Newfoundland is bracing for the possible impact of tropical storm Leslie, as residents continue to grapple with memories of another devastating storm two years ago.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center downgraded Leslie from a category 1 hurricane to a tropical storm on Friday afternoon, but warned the slow-moving system is expected to regain strength as it moves north.

It remains unclear whether Leslie will even strike Newfoundland. Meteorologists say it is too early to predict the final track of the storm, which nonetheless could power into the island next week.

The Canadian Hurricane Centre said Friday there are many possibilities for Leslie, which should pick up speed in the coming days but "may miss land completely."

In St. John’s, city director of public works Paul Mackey says officials are not taking any chances.

"[We have] sandbags in case we need them to control some flooding,” Mackey said. “Just preliminary at this stage, but we've already started that work."

Mackey warns that if Leslie does hit, wind may cause more damage than rain.

'It really surprised us how much damage was done in a very short time.'
—Paul Mackey
“This time of the year wind is a bigger concern, really, because you've got the trees still in full foliage... so high winds can do a lot of damage, as people remember [from] Igor,” Mackey said.

“It really surprised us how much damage was done in a very short time.”

Igor left thousands of people without power for days in eastern Newfoundland in September 2010, as hydro crews worked overtime to repair the damage.

Meanwhile, on the Burin Peninsula, residents are concerned about Leslie’s possible impact.

Fresh memories of flooding
Marystown, N.L., resident Michelle Clarke’s basement was flooded by Igor, and she's been lobbying the town council for years to get a crushed culvert beside her house repaired.

“We're going to have another situation where my basement is going to flood again,” Clarke said.

“It's going to go into the drains in my basement, and it's a continual thing if it doesn't get fixed.”

The mayor of Marystown says council is doing what it can, but needs more help from the provincial and federal governments to increase the size of culverts.

That, Sam Synard says, will help prevent Igor levels of damage from happening again.

“Some of it has been repaired, some of it has been repaired temporarily, and some of it has not been repaired at all,” Synard told CBC News.

“So we're two years into the process, and some of it is our own doing in that we're waiting for, I guess, approval to put in much better infrastructure.”

Other municipal politicians on the Burin Peninsula are also concerned.

Lewin's Cove, N.L., Mayor Bill Wakeley says he has been pressing the provincial government to dig ditches, in an effort to protect the sea-level houses flooded by Igor.

“My concern is if the water starts building up in those ditches, I think some of the residents could get some flooding there,” Wakeley said.

On the Avalon Peninsula, Sunnyside Mayor Robert Snook remains hopeful.

"We certainly don't want to see another Igor, that's for sure," Snook said Friday.

The Canadian Hurricane Centre said Friday the "threat of Leslie on Nova Scotia has been decreasing but is by no means 'zero.'"

Another hurricane, Michael, is not expected to affect Newfoundland, as it has been tracking to the east

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »
Leslie and Michael not expected to merge when they arrive in Newfoundland

By The Canadian Press September 8, 2012

HALIFAX - Tropical storm Leslie and hurricane Michael are both expected to hit eastern Newfoundland by Wednesday or Thursday, the Canadian Hurricane Centre said Saturday.

Environment Canada meteorologist Jean-Marc Couturier said the two likely will not merge, but rather Leslie is expected to overpower Michael and push it out of the area. [ Continues ]

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/fashion-beauty/Leslie+Michael+expected+merge+when+they+arrive+Newfoundland/7212492/story.html#ixzz25y2EOHg0

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
We haven't been discussing earth changes and events in Canada much.
Here is a re- start with a video or two from flooding last month,
Yowbarb

Black River Washago Flooding Dam Breaks Video 1  1:53 2,864

LINK: http://youtu.be/0kamd96PuMI

Alannah Ryane
Published on Apr 20, 2013 
When visiting my friends, 20 minutes before this, I said wow it would be great if the log jam dam finally gives way and after 3 years it did! Ever since the rock fell off the island and split in two the downed trees and misc wood got stuck and could not be removed. The road and parking area is flooded with water coming from the woods meeting up with the overflowed river. Shot with my playbook but there's no zoom!

Black River Washago Flooding 2013 Video 2    1:24

LINK: http://youtu.be/xloJ1He_ylw

Published on Apr 22, 2013  Alannah Ryane
.......................................................................................

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
Canada, especially the Alberta area has been flooding- big time.
Will be posting some statistics, soon. We do know there have been fatalities and whole towns have been evacuated...
Yowbarb

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alberta-flood-volunteers-people-have-really-come-together-1.1339097

Alberta flood volunteers: 'People have really come together'
CTVNews.ca Staff
 Published Monday, June 24, 2013 9:58AM EDT 
 Last Updated Monday, June 24, 2013 11:18AM EDT 

As southern Alberta deals with the worst flooding in its history, volunteers and staff with the Canadian Red Cross say they are working around the clock to help those affected get through the crisis and begin the cleanup.

Matt Baden, a Red Cross emergency response team lead, has been working at an emergency shelter in Blackie, just a few kilometres east of High River, the community that was hardest hit by the flooding.

He says currently, the Red Cross is working to supply the evacuees at the shelter with the basic necessities, such as cots, blankets and hygiene kits, and to make people as comfortable as possible.

[ Continues ]

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alberta-flood-volunteers-people-have-really-come-together-1.1339097#ixzz2X9TDkMKB

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
I don't have  Canadian weather news to report yet, but I just noticed a really low pressure spot above the US border.. Happening the same time we have Tornado Watches in the northeastern US...
It just looks like it must be really wicked weather up there.
Canadian Members please post...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »
Congratulations to Canada for the Olympic Gold Hockey win.  :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:45 AM »
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2087214-canadas-huge-wildfires-may-release-carbon-locked-in-permafrost/

Canada’s huge wildfires may release carbon locked in permafrost 

Daily news  6 May 2016

caringangie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 11:14:36 PM »
Hi Barb and everyone!

Well. I have lived in the Okanagan Valley for almost 20 years and what I can say is our winters are getting warmer and shorter and the wind is picking up. We just had a storm last weekend that caused an electric shut down of a neigbouring City. I have been told that tornadoes are going to be more frequent, even here lots of people lost half of their fruit this weekend from the wind. My apricot tree also lost a lot of fruit.
Oh what is also very interesting. My son was up at 2am about 1 month ago, went outside and saw Northern lights all over. We dont usually have  this where we live. Too bad I was at work that day. Interesting tough, I will keep an eye out for more.