Author Topic: Maintaining muscle/putting it back on/while on vegan diet - article/other ideas  (Read 7730 times)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Any kind of resistence will work Steedy.  It doesn't matter if you are lifting weights, slinging kettle bells, or using resistence bands.  For the longest time I maintained a pretty decent physique just doing push ups, pull ups, dips, and crunches... plus running.  Your muscles don't really know the difference.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
10 pound gain. .3% increase in body fat. So far anyway. Working out 6 days a week. Missed two weeks for vacation and sick motherinlaw issues. Going to try one more addition next week to see if I can gain another 9 healthy pounds.

Taking
Curcumin
Chromium Picilate
Extra Virgin Coconut oil- i teaspoon in coffee and dab on toothpaste for brushing.
CoQ10
Promasil protien powder. Taste great less filling :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
10 pound gain. .3% increase in body fat. So far anyway. Working out 6 days a week. Missed two weeks for vacation and sick motherinlaw issues. Going to try one more addition next week to see if I can gain another 9 healthy pounds.

Taking
Curcumin
Chromium Picilate
Extra Virgin Coconut oil- i teaspoon in coffee and dab on toothpaste for brushing.
CoQ10
Promasil protien powder. Taste great less filling :)

That sounds like wonderful progress, jrobert69! Thanks for sharing the successful actions.
I hope your mom in law is feeling better.
All The Best,
Barb Townsend

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Try "Ripped Freak" from GNC.  I know what it sounds like and I am as tired as you probably are of taking over-the-counter supplements.  However, this stuff does not "jack-you-up" like most of the stuff out there does, and my wife and I are both sick and tired of taking.  We have both been taking it for almost two months now and I have to say, we are both pleased with the results.  My wife has dropped over 20 lbs and I am getting downright skinny again.  I have not changed my diet at all, which, honestly, wasn't helping me all that much to begin with since we are having this conversation in the first place...  Check it out.  By the way, I was eating lot's of sushi and chicken noodle soup and wasn't losing any weight at all.  Getting old sucks...

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
I saw that one. Ill try in another month or so. This rivalus stuff works pretty good and doesn't taste like cake mix and is pretty cost effective per usage. Im going to give their anabolic prescription a try.

I had no idea how big of a business this kinda stuff is. Going to grab some calipers as well. I guess the machines for bmi/fat are not that accurate.

What can you do- the whole human experience is way overrated. My guess is we all volunteered thinking it would be great, Im leaving with a nice place to visit mentality....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Try "Ripped Freak" from GNC.  I know what it sounds like and I am as tired as you probably are of taking over-the-counter supplements.  However, this stuff does not "jack-you-up" like most of the stuff out there does, and my wife and I are both sick and tired of taking.  We have both been taking it for almost two months now and I have to say, we are both pleased with the results.  My wife has dropped over 20 lbs and I am getting downright skinny again.  I have not changed my diet at all, which, honestly, wasn't helping me all that much to begin with since we are having this conversation in the first place...  Check it out.  By the way, I was eating lot's of sushi and chicken noodle soup and wasn't losing any weight at all.  Getting old sucks...

JKB thanks for the ideas...shopping around for a protein powder too.
Sounds like you are making fine progress.  :)
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!

Thanks JKB!!  I'm going to try it!  Heaven knows, nothing else seems to be working...and I second that, Getting Old Truly Sucks....

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
Since july 21st Ive gained 25 pounds. body fat went from 22.4 to 22.8. Still have that bump in the belly. Another 7 pounds and Im going to cut to get bf down in the 12% area without loosing too much muscle.

Physically I have not felt this good in years. My neck alone increased almost 2 inches. Kinda sucks as I cant get the top button on my dress shirts anymore.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
We have switched from Ripped Freak to Cellucor "Super HD" and are showing good progress.  Amanda is really doing well and I'm somewhere in the mid-170's.  We have a weigh in next Wednesday and I'm actually looking forward to it.  (Damn the torpedoes!)

We played golf on base last Thursday and for the first time, I noticed there is a dirt track that runs all the way around the entire golf course.  I am guessing it is in the neighborhood of six miles or so, to make it all the way around.  I am going to run it tomorrow and I can't wait. 

I know I am changing because the whole time we were playing golf, I was much more interested in just checking out nature and watching the birds than how I was hitting the little white ball from hell.  I did hit one, really sweet shot though...  I curved a ball around a tree, underneath the branches and landed it on the green 180 yards out.  We were all like, "Daaaammmnnnn..."  I'm really not very good though.  Seriously...

Anyway, my biggest problem running is I get bored with it if I am just running over the same old ground I have already run 100 times before.  So, I'm really jacked to go run around the golf course and be out in nature.  I will let you know how it goes.  Peace, JKB

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Do you have any more information, or a link for the Super HD?  Or do you purchase it just at any health food store?  Thanks....

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Here you go...  I got ours at GNC but aparrently you can get it just about anywhere...

http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/Cellucor/Super_HD

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Here you go...  I got ours at GNC but aparrently you can get it just about anywhere...

Thanks, JKB!

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Thanks JKB, greatly appreciated!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I am a mainly vegetarian person now, again - cutting back even more on animal protein.

When I was nearly completely vegan for quite a long while my weight went steadily down until I added these things to my diet. (At the time I needed to get it up to a normal range again.)

•   Avocadoes
•   malt syrup
•   Small amt. of maple or honey candy - bought at health food stores...
•   such as Macrobiotic Yinnies, etc.
•   Cooked millet with a dab of oil and some salt
•   Ghee (ghi) clarified butter.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I added ghee to my post, which is of course not vegan. At that time I had gone down to 89 pounds so I added the ghee. That helped get a bit more weight on me. Walking, pushing the baby buggy, carrying loads of laundry; schlepping groceries these activities put a bit of muscle on me. I should have pumped some iron but didn't have a way to do that , at the time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:06:22 PM by Yowbarb »