Author Topic: When you need to be the doctor since there is no one else!  (Read 20249 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: When you need to be the doctor since there is no one else!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this.  Would it be worthwhile systematically massaging all of the zones on the hand daily?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
The first few times I ate our own home-grown honey a decade ago, I had violent sneezing attacks, but that no longer happens so I guess I've become desensitized.

R.R. - that is really interesting to hear about! Surely gives insight into how it works...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
Wow, you guys, I'm catching up on some of your very interesting posts--must have been in a time warp in July!

Well, just this morning I found this in a folder of stuff I stash for PXTH, so if there's no doctor, no nurse, and you can't find your books or any other information, here is a little accupressure chart that might help someone in a pinch.  Accupressure has helped me many times; plus there is one pressure point I use every day for liver normalizing, and I have faith in this. 

But if one point does not seem to work, you can try another, as many issues/ailments usually have more than one different pressure point that will alleviate the same problem, and remember, be patient, and sometimes you may need daily work.

Awesome info, ilinda!
I have also used acupressure but not nearly as much as I could.

Read something decades ago in an encyclopedia of alternative med. Learned a few points.
I use the point on the upper lip, twisting the whole lip, firmly, clockwise when I get leg cramps.

For a really killer headache, firmly press the thumbs above the eyebrow. Move both thumbs until you find the place where it feels like a sheet of metal going directly into the skull. The, firmly rotate both thumbs, clockwise until there is relief.

ilinda, I normally do not get bad headaches, or leg cramps anymore, but every time I do, those accupressure points work for me.
Years ago a naturopath gave a lecture and several quick tips, in passing. One was: In the AM feel your palm of your hand. If you feel pain in any area, firmly massage that point until it feels normal. :)
another good one.
I plan to keep your diagram and use that too.
Thanks!
:)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this.  Would it be worthwhile systematically massaging all of the zones on the hand daily?
No, I would not recommend massaging all the zones on the hand daily and here's a perfect example, which is hilarious in retrospect!

Some years ago I was working on/looking for non-conventional help with thyroid acting up, usually going "hypo-" on me.  Well, in rifling through my alternatives library, I found the chart I just posted, and quickly read it and decided to work on my thyroid.

After a few minutes I started feeling warm, then warmer, then sort of hot.  So I looked at the chart again, and in my haste, I had mis-read typhoid!  I was applying pressure to the spot for helping alleviate typhoid fever, and apparently it was warming my body, presumably to help kill the typhoid microorganism.  After all, fever is "Nature's Antibiotic".

Anyway, I've been more cautious about reading the fine print since them! 

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »
Wow, the accupressure must work quickly then.  What a hilarious story! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
Ad for a heart defibrillator machine. Ebay

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 12:46:28 PM »
No, I would not recommend massaging all the zones on the hand daily and here's a perfect example, which is hilarious in retrospect!

Some years ago I was working on/looking for non-conventional help with thyroid acting up, usually going "hypo-" on me.  Well, in rifling through my alternatives library, I found the chart I just posted, and quickly read it and decided to work on my thyroid.

After a few minutes I started feeling warm, then warmer, then sort of hot.  So I looked at the chart again, and in my haste, I had mis-read typhoid!  I was applying pressure to the spot for helping alleviate typhoid fever, and apparently it was warming my body, presumably to help kill the typhoid microorganism.  After all, fever is "Nature's Antibiotic".

Anyway, I've been more cautious about reading the fine print since them!

Wow, ilinda, what a great story, and illustrates how well it works!
Thanks so much for sharing this!
:)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2017, 02:53:30 AM »
Doctors in Puerto Rico Practice Medicine In ‘Post-Apocalyptic’ Conditions!!

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/doctors-in-puerto-rico-practice-medicine-in-post-apocalyptic-conditions_10182017

Nearly four weeks after Hurricane Maria devastated the island of Puerto Rico, doctors are experiencing “post-apocalyptic” conditions. The reality doctors in Puerto Rico are facing is similar to that from a dystopian novel.

Doctors are conducting surgical procedures in sweltering 95-degree heat, experience malfunctioning X-ray machines, and have seen medications literally melting. “We’re practicing disaster medicine in real life,” said Dr. William Kotler, a senior resident in emergency medicine at Florida Hospital in Orlando, who spent two weeks volunteering on the island earlier this month. “We improvise if we have to, with very little resources.”

Arriving one week after Hurricane Maria made landfall, Dr. Kotler and four other emergency physicians from Florida Hospital in Orlando, finished up a volunteer mission on the devastated island. They were the first medical relief team the hospital sent to the island. “We went in blind,” said Dr. Julian Trivino, who was among the first team of volunteers.

A second team arrived on October 8th and will stay for two weeks to assist those who need medical attention. When the physicians arrived in the town of Aguadilla on the northwestern tip of the island, the local hospital was in bad shape. The hurricane had almost completely taken down the entire electrical grid and knocked out communications. “I got there and immediately had a patient with serious head injuries from a car accident,” said Trivino, who is the chief resident in emergency medicine.

Access to electricity was so poor that Trivino couldn’t conduct a CT scan, but he was able to do an X-ray. To review the films, he had to go outside and hold the films up to the sunlight to see anything. Afterward, he used one of the team’s two satellite phones to arrange for the patient to go to a trauma center.

The physicians are also becoming increasingly concerned that Puerto Rico could be headed toward a full-blown health crisis. “Trauma centers are overwhelmed. Basic surgeries are being postponed. I’ve seen people lose digits because they couldn’t be treated in time,” said Kotler.

And the heat is making conditions even more extreme. At a hospital in Carolina on the northeastern coast, Kotler and Trivino had to perform an emergency surgery; attaching a temporary pacemaker to a patient whose heart rate was abnormally slow. “It was 95 degrees in this ER room. She was sweating profusely and vomiting,” said Kotler. “I held her hand and stroked her head. It’s what I could do to comfort her.”

But there were also several patients who suffered the ultimate fate. In Aguadilla, it was a 42-year-old man in cardiac arrest. “He had a fever of 107 degrees. It was burning hot in the hospital. We scrambled to find ice packs to cool him down,” said Kotler. Nonetheless, he died the next day. “If you have a major heart attack in Puerto Rico, right now, the odds are stacked against you,” said Trivino.

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2017, 03:07:10 AM »
The Plague is back!

The Plague Is AIRBORNE And It’s Spreading Because People Are Literally ‘Dancing With Corpses’

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/the-plague-is-airborne-and-its-spreading-because-people-are-literally-dancing-with-corpses_10262017

The plague that’s airborne and has killed at least 124 people in Madagascar is now blamed on “dancing with corpses.” This is the time of year when the dead are wrapped in sheets and paraded through the streets while others dance around the bodies.

The local tradition is said to be one of the major causes of the spread of this disease.  Since it’s airborne, anyone coming close to the corpse of a person who has died of the black death could themselves, catch the infection. Health officials suspect it’s no coincidence that the outbreak coincides with the time of year when families customarily exhume the remains of dead relatives, wrap them in a sheet, and dance with them through the streets in a sacred ritual, AFP reports.

“If a person dies of pneumonic plague and is then interred in a tomb that is subsequently opened for [the ritual], the bacteria can still be transmitted and contaminate whoever handles the body,” said Willy Randriamarotia, Madagascar’s health ministry chief of staff.

Some locals believe the whole plague is some kind of a government conspiracy, and say they have no intention of forgoing the ritual known as “famadihana.” They say they will continue to dance with the dead and intend to honor their ancestors. “I will always practice the turning of the bones of my ancestors — plague or no plague. The plague is a lie,” Helene Raveloharisoa told the wire service.

Josephine Ralisiarisoa firmly believes the country’s cash-strapped government is just exaggerating the problem to get money ahead of an election next year. And it isn’t that anyone is putting this past a government to lie for profits, but health officials have even warned tourists, a source of money, to stay away from Madagascar for their own health. “

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
Wonder how they deal with the smell?

Here is a disturbing film about the way remains are casually handled in parts of Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0rJ-4InJY

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
The Plague is back!

The Plague Is AIRBORNE And It’s Spreading Because People Are Literally ‘Dancing With Corpses’

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/the-plague-is-airborne-and-its-spreading-because-people-are-literally-dancing-with-corpses_10262017

The plague that’s airborne and has killed at least 124 people in Madagascar is now blamed on “dancing with corpses.” This is the time of year when the dead are wrapped in sheets and paraded through the streets while others dance around the bodies.

The local tradition is said to be one of the major causes of the spread of this disease.  Since it’s airborne, anyone coming close to the corpse of a person who has died of the black death could themselves, catch the infection. Health officials suspect it’s no coincidence that the outbreak coincides with the time of year when families customarily exhume the remains of dead relatives, wrap them in a sheet, and dance with them through the streets in a sacred ritual, AFP reports.

“If a person dies of pneumonic plague and is then interred in a tomb that is subsequently opened for [the ritual], the bacteria can still be transmitted and contaminate whoever handles the body,” said Willy Randriamarotia, Madagascar’s health ministry chief of staff.

Some locals believe the whole plague is some kind of a government conspiracy, and say they have no intention of forgoing the ritual known as “famadihana.” They say they will continue to dance with the dead and intend to honor their ancestors. “I will always practice the turning of the bones of my ancestors — plague or no plague. The plague is a lie,” Helene Raveloharisoa told the wire service.

Josephine Ralisiarisoa firmly believes the country’s cash-strapped government is just exaggerating the problem to get money ahead of an election next year. And it isn’t that anyone is putting this past a government to lie for profits, but health officials have even warned tourists, a source of money, to stay away from Madagascar for their own health. “

Max.

MadMax, I suspect that story is not true... I can see how it could be... It's just that I didn't find it on a google search. Not finding any other articles about this. The dancing with the dead thing has gone on for hundreds of years... (Can someone post links to other articles about plague back in MX?)
Here is one that is true, plague in 9 countries, Madagascar, South Africa, Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania, La Réunion, Mozambique, Kenya, Ethiopia and Comoros

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/870920/plague-black-death-latest-bubonic-pneumonic-Madagascar-world-health-organization-map

PLAGUE WARNING: 9 countries urged to prepare as black death spreads through Madagascar

THE plague has seen nine countries told to prepare for an outbreak of the black death

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Wonder how they deal with the smell?

Here is a disturbing film about the way remains are casually handled in parts of Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0rJ-4InJY

That's really awful...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Yowbarb Note: Posting this in a bit of a hurry, haven't checked it out. What do you all think? Oh yah, RE garlic, I should mention an old chiropractor-naturopath I used to go to, Dr. Leninger, told me he traveled all over the world and lived with many groups of people. he told me the gypsies put garlic in everything. he said they were the only European group who didn't catch plague or the clap.

https://www.livealittlelonger.com/proven-natural-cure-for-bubonic-plague/

Top 10 Safe and Proven Natural Cure For Bubonic Plague (Black Death)

Best Natural Cure For Bubonic Plague (Black Death)

10. Margosa Extracts Herbal Tea

Pour 1 cup of water to a pan and allow to boil.
Place 2 oz of fresh margosa leaves in a cup and pour the boiling water.
Leave for about 5 minutes.
Strain tea and serve in a cup. Make sure that it is warm enough to drink.
Drink the tea 2-3 times a day for up to 10 weeks.
Margosa, also known as neem, is native to India where it has been used for centuries-old medicinal practices. The plant is known for its anti-viral, anti-septic, and anti-bacterial properties. People who practices ayurvedic medicine does not only use the leaves of the plant, but also use other parts such as roots, barks, seeds, and flowers to treat other diseases including kidney problems and skin ulcers among many others.

Margosa should not be taken by pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage. Though it can help in a lot of health problems, prolonged used of margosa tea may harm the kidneys and liver as its side effect.

9. Garlic

Natural Cure For Bubonic Plague

Crush some garlic cloves to powder form.
Add powder to a cup of water.
Heat for some time.
Let steep for 20 minutes or more.
Strain the mixture and drink.
Drink 2-3 cups a day of this garlic concoction.

You may also eat some raw garlic 3-4 times a day and include garlic in everyday cooking of your meals. Garlic contains the chemical allicin. It also has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which is very helpful in treating infections and decreasing inflammation.

Garlic is generally safe when taken by mouth even for a prolonged period of time. However, one of its unwelcome effects is bad breath due to the strong smell it contains. It may also cause heartburn, gas, burning sensation in the mouth and stomach, body odor, diarrhea and nausea and vomiting.

8. Essential Oils (Clove, Eucalyptus, Cinnamon, Thyme)

Spray: Spray the essential oil of your choosing around the room. Inhale its aroma and stay in the room for awhile.
Massage: When getting a massage, you may choose one of the essential oils stated above and have it lathered on your body to be used as a massage oil.
Bath: Add a few drops of essential oil in hot water and take a bath with it. Make sure that the water temperature is tolerable for your skin to prevent burns.
Essential oils, though not very much proven, can still help in treating bubonic plague. Even in the older days, people had used this treatment to ease the suffering of those affected by the plague. The oils have anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps increase the immune system of your body which is very much needed during ailments.

There is no known adverse effect of clove oil, but people who are allergic to it must not use it. Eucalyptus oil may cause diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Cinnamon oil may cause vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, and dizziness. Thyme oil should not be used by people who are allergic to plants under the Lamiaceae family.

7. Turmeric

Add 2-3 tsp of turmeric powder to a cup of tea, or glass of water or milk.
Mix well and drink.
Drink the mixture at least 2 times daily.

You may also add turmeric powder when making your meals for the day. The best way to treat bubonic plague using turmeric powder is to take 2 teaspoons of it for 3-4 times a day. Turmeric contains curcumin which is a substance that helps in decreasing inflammation. It also contains other natural chemicals that can help treat the signs and symptoms of the plague.

Turmeric usually has no side or adverse effects whatsoever, however, some people who are not use to it might experience some adverse effects such as dizziness, diarrhea, stomach upset and nausea.

6. Honey

Heat 1 glass of water.
Add 2 tsp of honey and mix well.
Drink the mixture right away.
Have 2-3 glasses of this concoction daily. For great results, you can drink one glass in the morning and one in the evening before bedtime. You may also drink one glass in the middle of the day for maximum effect.
If you do not want honey to be mixed with water, you may take 1-2 tsp of pure honey for 2-3 times daily. Some chemicals found in honey are known to kill bacteria and fungi. As one of the 10 natural home remedies to cure plague, honey also contains other chemicals and nutrients that speed up wound healing.

Honey is generally safe when taken accordingly. However, people who are allergic to pollens should avoid taking honey as it’ll cause allergic reactions. Also, it is important to note that infants and very young children should not be given honey by mouth as it can lead to botulism poisoning. Furthermore, make sure that the honey you will be using does not come from the nectar of Rhododendrons as it contains toxin which can lead to chest pains, low blood pressure and other serious heart conditions.

5. Calendula

Dry some calendula flowers.
Once dried, put them in a cup of water.
Boil the cup of water with the flowers for some time.
Leave to steep for some time.
Strain the mixture and drink.
Have at least 3 cups of calendula tea everyday.
Another option is to dry and grind some calendula leaves. Grind the leaves to powder form and mix 2-3 tsp of the powder to 1 glass of water. Drink 2-3 glasses daily. Calendula is thought to work due to the presence of natural chemicals that help new tissue to grow in wounds. It also helps decrease swelling especially in the mouth and throat area.

Calendula is usually safe for people when taken by mouth, but, it is not advisable for pregnant women to take as it can cause miscarriage. People who are allergic to ragweed and other related plants should also avoid the use of calendula as it might aggravate allergic reactions.

4. Oregano Oil

Add a few drops of oregano oil to a cup of water.
Heat the water.
Once the temperature is tolerable for your skin, soak a cotton cloth in the mixture.
Wipe your entire body with the soaked cotton cloth.
Massage the area.
If you want to conserve time and effort, you may simply add a few drops of oregano oil to your bath water and bath in it. Oregano will help get rid of the bacteria that cause the plague. The herbal plant is also effective due to its anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties.

When applied to skin, people with allergies to plants under the Lamiaceae family should avoid this use as it may cause allergic reactions. Plants under this family include basil, sage, mint, lavender, hyssop and marjoram among many others. Pregnant women should also avoid oregano use.

3. Basil Leaf Extracts

Put 2 ¼ cups of water in a pan and ½ cup basil leaves. Boil.
Lower the heat, and brew for another 3-4 minutes.
Turn off heat and strain the mixture.
Drink 2-3 times daily.

Basil is an effective herb to treat a lot of illnesses, and one of these illnesses is the plague. Basil has a lot of chemicals and nutrients in itself which helps fight certain diseases and improve general health. It is also rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, potassium and iron.

Basil is generally safe when taken by mouth as a medicine for short-term. However, it may cause a low blood pressure on some people. Basil leaves should not be taken by mouth as a medicine for a long period of time because it contains estragole. Estragole is a chemical known to increase the risk for liver cancer.

2. Yarrow

Dry yarrow flowers.
Boil the flowers to make tea.
Strain the mixture.
Add mint to the strained mixture and drink.
Back in the older times, yarrow is already known as an effective treatment for plague. As time passes, yarrow still proves to be a useful remedy not only in plagues but also in common health problems such as flu, fever, colds, infections, pneumonia and inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory effects.

Yarrow is safe when taken by mouth in food amounts. However, it can cause drowsiness or increase urination when taken by some people. Others may also experience skin irritation as side effect. It should not be taken by pregnant women too as it can cause miscarriage. People who are allergic to ragweed and other related plants must also avoid taking yarrow as a medicine.

1. Ginger

Include fresh ginger on your daily meal plan when cooking for your food.
Other ways on how to treat the Black Death using ginger are to take it as a tea or mix it with lemon or honey. Bubonic plague symptoms will be eased when taking ginger due to its anti-bacterial properties. It is also known to fight off other infections as well. Moreover, ginger increases your immune system and counters many allergic reactions.

When taking ginger, however, take note that it may cause diarrhea, heartburn or stomach upset.

How to prevent the plague?

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the most important part on how to prevent the plague is proper information dissemination. This includes informing people if they are currently living in an area where there is an active plague, and educating them to take caution against flea bites. Handling dead animal remains must also be avoided to prevent infection.

Exercise proper sanitation too, to help prevent the spread of bacteria. Also, take caution when a person coughs as you may inhale the pathogens that cause the disease. Prevention is always better than cure, thus, it is of utmost importance that one knows how to prevent it. When the disease has been passed the prevention stage, knowing how to treat the Black Death with these home remedies will definitely help a lot in saving the lives of your loved ones.

War is the greatest plague that can afflict humanity, it destroys religion, it destroys states, it destroys families. Any scourge is preferable to it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2017, 04:43:28 AM »
Barb,

I use a lot of the herbs and spices that you mentioned in the winter here to prevent flu.  There's a cast iron simmering pot on the woodstove, and a simmering pot on the gas stove kept full of water, which helps to humidify the air and prevent it from drying out in winter, keeping respiratory membranes moistened.

Into the pots I add various bits of whatever is on my spice shelves: a cinnamon stick, whole cloves, orange and lemon peel, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, etc.  It also gives the house a cheery aroma for a psychological boost as the days grow shorter.  The spices are expensive, but can be obtained from an outlet at pennies on the dollar - I've gotten them as low as 25 cents a jar or can before. :)