Author Topic: When you need to be the doctor since there is no one else!  (Read 18444 times)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Re: When you need to be the doctor since there is no one else!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
1)  I was going to say, I can probably get my hands on some military medical publications for you but it looks like you guys already have that covered.

2)  I wish I could get my hands on some Morphine for our medical kit...  That would be nice to have for major injuries.  The strongest thing I have now is some Oxycotin that I have left over from one of my previous lower back injuries.  I only took what I needed and saved the rest, but it isn't as much as I would like to have.  I have plenty of less powerful pain medication but Morphine or even Demerol would be nice for emergencies.  In the old days, good ole' alcohol was the drug of choice for pain management.

We found a really nice, although expensive, field surgery kit at a gun show a few years ago that I'm glad we picked up and I have been, ahem, accumulating old first aid kits over the last few years.  We have stocked up on simple Advil or Ibuprofin, allergy meds, pretty much everything we take for granted now that won't be available when the lights go out.  Not a bad idea at all...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 07:25:22 AM »
1)  I was going to say, I can probably get my hands on some military medical publications for you but it looks like you guys already have that covered.

2)  I wish I could get my hands on some Morphine for our medical kit...  That would be nice to have for major injuries.  The strongest thing I have now is some Oxycotin that I have left over from one of my previous lower back injuries.  I only took what I needed and saved the rest, but it isn't as much as I would like to have.  I have plenty of less powerful pain medication but Morphine or even Demerol would be nice for emergencies.  In the old days, good ole' alcohol was the drug of choice for pain management.

We found a really nice, although expensive, field surgery kit at a gun show a few years ago that I'm glad we picked up and I have been, ahem, accumulating old first aid kits over the last few years.  We have stocked up on simple Advil or Ibuprofin, allergy meds, pretty much everything we take for granted now that won't be available when the lights go out.  Not a bad idea at all...

That might be tricky but if I ever find out where to get it I will msg you...
Please stay in touch...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
Please do...  I am not a drug addict.  I have enough drugs in our growing emergency kit to kill a person many times over already.  I tolerate a lot of daily pain just so we can have reserves when the lights go out.  My Chiropracter just gave me an unlimited refill prescription for muscle relaxers and mild painkillers and I am going to fill them every single month that I am in until I get out.  And, every single month all of those pills will go straight into our medical bag...  We can barter with them, we can give them to others in need of help, and we can use them if one of us breaks a bone or tears a ligament out in the middle of no where, where our bug out location is and there are no doctors...  In this case, more is better...  There won't be any pharmacies to get medication you need when it gets ugly... 

If you could swing that, OMG, I would protect that s**t like it was Gold, because it is.  You save that stuff for true emergencies, and I mean true emergencies.

I have only taken Morphine once in my life and it was before I joined the Military.  I rode this bull one time and I was wearing a vest when I did.  To make it worse, it was Mother's Day and we were having a "Mother's Day Buck-Off" competition.  This was the one and only time my Mother ever saw me riding bulls.   The only reason I was nervous was because my family was there to watch me for the first time, and I had been riding bulls for years.  I was on the PRCA.

Just my luck, I got bucked off the first four bulls I got on that day and was getting frustrated because I was better than that.  My one and only bullriding coach, Spencer Wilson, came over and told me to relax, he told me to forget that my family was behind the chutes watching all of this, and just do what I do...  Bull #5 I rode to the buzzer and was just looking for a decent place to jump off and, when I did, the bull hooked his horn underneath my vest and he tossed me around like a rag doll for seems like forever.  Just what a Mother wants to watch, geesh.

I rode four more bulls after that and made the buzzer on all of them with no further incidents.  Next day though, I knew something was wrong as I couldn't even get out of bed in the morning.  I was in so much pain.  Long story short, my Uncle had to come help me get out of the bed and take me to the ER.  I spent four days in the hospital with internal bleeding and broken ribs.  Once they gave me that Morphine though, all that pain went away and I was comfortable.

I can see how that stuff could become addicting amazingly fast.  I'm not touching it with a ten-foot-pole.  I will save it for something I hope never happens to anyone in my group.

Relating back to topic... just a thought, I have been through so many CPR classes in my life it isn't even funny.  If you have never had a CPR class, get one while you can.  I think the YMCA offers them for free.  That training comes in handy.  I know as I have had to use it and it works. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:25:40 PM by JKB »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:21 AM »
Geez JKB, That must have been one heck of an injury, thank heavens you did get to ER!!  I'm not sure who I actually felt worse for while reading your post though, either you or your Mom.  I bet your Mom was almost hysterical having to watch that!  I highly doubt you would be able to locate any morphine, and even if you could find some in pill form, it would be a much lower dose than what you probably received in the hospital.   Most likely the oxycontin you already have is the stronger of the two, plus it is a time release medication that is supposed to last closer to 72 hours.  You can take the oxycotin and oxycodone or vicadin for break through pain, but you would have to be very careful doing that.  Of course, I am not an MD, but just relaying the knowledge I had acquired from taking care of my Mom and her medications and Dr visits before she passed away.   The prescribing Dr said it (the oxycontin and oxycodone) was the strongest pill form narcotic available.  In addition to that, I believe there is a much higher chance of people having allergic reactions to the morphine.  I know when I was in the hospital and  it was given to me, it was determined that I actually had an allergic reaction to it.  Itching and a bad rash when already in pain...Not fun at all!  And, umm, you probably already know, any acquiring of any of these medications, other than prescribed through a Dr, would most likely land you in a heap of trouble as well (possibly in jail).  Just thought I should mention that in case anyone was not aware of that fact..... ;D

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
Thanks Enlightenme, Sis.  Yeah, I know it would probably land me in jail, however, the way things are going simply owning a gun will land us in jail.  Did you hear that a former Soldier in New York just got arrested and charged with 5 felonies for simply having 5 AR magazines in his car?  Here is the link...

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/decorated-combat-veteran-arrested-in-new-york-charged-with-5-felonies-for-possession-of-ar-magazines_01312013

I have already decided that I am done letting other people tell me what I can and cannot do, as long as I am living by the principles that have guided me for most of my life.  And, yeah, that will probably land me in jail or the morgue.  But, I have had enough and so have a lot of other people and the line has to be drawn somewhere.  I just hope I can keep my wife out of it.

As for the Oxycotin, you are 100% correct.  That stuff is awesome.  I just wish I had more of it.  I had an especially bad episode with my back last year and they gave me that stuff, and, woooo!!!  One minute I couldn't even stand up all of the way and a few minutes later I felt like playing ice hockey or something...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:59:17 AM by JKB »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
OMG JKB, That link you posted about the decorated combat vet, Unbelievable!!  I'm just at a total loss for words.....

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
As for the Oxycotin, you are 100% correct.  That stuff is awesome.  I just wish I had more of it.  I had an especially bad episode with my back last year and they gave me that stuff, and, woooo!!!  One minute I couldn't even stand up all of the way and a few minutes later I felt like playing ice hockey or something...

The medications are a 2-edged sword... Yes, they are valuable and worth it to break the pain cycle and let the body rest, but as you've said they also give you the 'illusion' that you can do anything and aren't hurt anymore. It this state you can re-injure the injury and not even know it, but when the drug wears off you will, but and it's too late. What's done is done. This can set your healing back months or even longer...as good as it can be, there is another side, too. In SHTF situations, I'd want to stay sharp and I wouldn't want to lose my awareness, it could be dangerous...not that extreme pain can't distract you, too. You want to make a good call, and not just about comfort.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
I hear you Survival 101 and I'm not talking about abusing it.  Shoot, the stuff is in my garage right now and I could abuse it all I want if I chose to.  I am denying the comfort I could be receiving from it now so that we have it available later, if we need it.  This is why it is important to be part of a group, or at least one other person.  If one of us breaks a bone, or God forbid, you have to do something like a field amputation, that person is not getting their foot sawed off with nothing more than a shot of whiskey for pain management.  I agree that remaining sober is ideal, but if someone is in such pain as to warrant a heavy painkiller, the other members of the group can stand guard and the injured member is not suffering.

With my history of chronic back problems, it is sure to come up sooner or later after the lights go out.  I'm pretty useless when my back is really hurting.  When I "throw" my back out, I can take a muscle relaxer and an anti-inflamitory not be totally incapacitated.  You gotta do what you gotta do, you know?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:39:53 PM by JKB »

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »

In a major medical situation, I agree with you and I hope that we always have community. I wasn't inferring that you would ever abuse anything. Other's might not realize that it could be dangerous to let their guard down or that a even a simple pain-relieving medication, nothing like the ones you were listing, could cause them to be less alert and aware, some people wouldn't know to post sentry's and allow even a group to sleep thru an intrusion. If they've never been thru it, how could they know.

There is non-surgical help available that could be of benefit to you, the hard part is locating the people that are skilled enough to do it. The key is to unwind whatever injury history you have and take the distortion out of your core that you were born with. It's possible, not always easy, but time collapses, deteriorates and works against everyone.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
Unfortunately, I did it to myself my friend.  In my early 20's I rode bulls with impunity.  It wasn't uncommon for me to ride 10 bulls in a day.  No doubt, I saw my fair share of train wrecks.  I had my lower back stepped on directly by 1800 lbs bulls on more than one occasion.  But, you know how you think when you are 22 years old and built pretty well...  I always knew I was writing checks with my body that I would have to cash later.  I just never thought it would be my late 30's/early 40's...  I had 50's and 60's more in mind...

So, I have chronic degenerative back disorder and my back will probably never be any better than it is right now.  Fifteen years in the Marine Corps hasn't helped my back any either...   The good news is I am retiring in six months and will be under Chiropractic care and physical therapy until that date.  I was an idiot and played in a football game in late December and un-did all of the previous therapy I had been through.  But, six months is enough to get things pretty much put back together.  I already know all of the stretches and exercises that can be done, and that is really about it.  I cringe to think what I will feel like in 20 years, but, I did it to myself...  And, you know, truth be told, I would do it all over again if I could be 22 again.  So, I'm not complaining.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I did it to myself my friend.  In my early 20's I rode bulls with impunity.  It wasn't uncommon for me to ride 10 bulls in a day.  No doubt, I saw my fair share of train wrecks.  I had my lower back stepped on directly by 1800 lbs bulls on more than one occasion.  But, you know how you think when you are 22 years old and built pretty well...  I always knew I was writing checks with my body that I would have to cash later.  I just never thought it would be my late 30's/early 40's...  I had 50's and 60's more in mind...

So, I have chronic degenerative back disorder and my back will probably never be any better than it is right now.  Fifteen years in the Marine Corps hasn't helped my back any either...   The good news is I am retiring in six months and will be under Chiropractic care and physical therapy until that date.  I was an idiot and played in a football game in late December and un-did all of the previous therapy I had been through.  But, six months is enough to get things pretty much put back together.  I already know all of the stretches and exercises that can be done, and that is really about it.  I cringe to think what I will feel like in 20 years, but, I did it to myself...  And, you know, truth be told, I would do it all over again if I could be 22 again.  So, I'm not complaining.

JKB I forgt - do U take the DE? Diatomaceous earth...?
It is supposed to help with just about everything joints muscles bones everything. I am on 1-T per day in juice...
Some of my problems are related to previous sports injuries too and also some falls in recent years...
My doc told me, no I do not have rheumatoid arthritis but the thing is my rheumatoid factor was above normal by quite a bit...My Mom had it and my grand mother (Mom's mother) had it so bad it cut her life short...
Getting creakier but I feel the DE will start helping with that...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:28:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »

I really wish the best for you, JKB. I wish you could be more open, there is a much bigger picture here and you're not seeing all the pieces. Take care...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
I guess I am.  They gave me the option of surgery but told me it would be 50/50.  Surgery might help, but it might make it worse so I said no.  I am doing Chiro and low impact physical activities and lots of stretching.  I'm not exactly sure what this means:

There is non-surgical help available that could be of benefit to you, the hard part is locating the people that are skilled enough to do it. The key is to unwind whatever injury history you have and take the distortion out of your core that you were born with. It's possible, not always easy, but time collapses, deteriorates and works against everyone.

I thought I was getting old, could you provide some edification?

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »

Okay...I'll try to write this in general terms where everyone can benefit from it and it make some sense, because everyone has to start at the beginning and then work out from there.

This topic has a lot of complexity and can be overwhelming, if you think about it too much. So, I'd like to take just a small bite and work with that, but not to exclude the 'possibility' that there could be much, much more that influences and is involved. I've been working in this arena for over 20 years, still learning and still finding 'Ahh-haas' now and then, the human body that we take so much for granted is an awesome bio-chemical invention. And, we get to play with it!

Over the years, I as I worked with people and their bodies, they've always procrastinated to be helped. Their thinking would be that it would go away, that it was nothing, etc., etc. What they didn't notice was that even tho' they felt/thought their complaint was physical and could have been to a degree, it had been manifested from an emotional origin. Soon, I discovered that most everything was emotional. We could develop elaborate constructs sometimes to express these emotions or get attention to in the physical body. Because we ignored it, it went from a 'tap on the shoulder' to a 'slam into the wall' kinda thing. So, you could definitely have physical pain and dysfunction from emotions.

So, if we have a physical body, we must have a physical template or plane, too. But, we also have similar templates as emotional, mental, psychological, psychic, astral, etc. Now, if we feel/sense discomfort in our physical body i.e. arm, leg, back, it doesn't mean that that is where the problem is. It's just a symptom. It's just where we 'notice' it, but we may not be very aware or we may have/had reason(s) to be disassociative to that stimuli. Most often it's the physical body that houses our injuies, surgeries, accidents, the cranial defect that all of us are born with, etc. These are all found in the physical template. But, what if we had a traumatic accident or event, how might this need to be treated? Granted, we'd want to access the physical extent, bones, organs, stop bleeding, etc...but, often the emotional body was injured or traumetized, too. Because at that precise moment something was believed or thought and it was imprinted, or maybe energy was forced into the body(s) and trapped. Many times thru anesthetics, losing consciousness or just extreme fear the Soul (our essence) will leave this outer shell, we call our body for safety. We try to operated normally after the event (or even coming into this life), as a Fragmented Soul with only a part of our capacity or capability, we may or may not know that something is different, but we can't put our finger on it. Another deficiency that happens often, is that we have a Twin Complex, meaning we had a twin in the womb with us, but something happened and the other soul did not come across. Deep inside we knew that soul, we loved it dearly and we're very close, suddenly we didn't/don't know what happened and the separation is very painful. We 'search' for something we can't find and don't know what it is that we are even looking for, but it can be obsessive. This also, can affect us our whole life. Over 75% of the population are twins, many never knew/know it, it's not something that doctor's deem important to share.

Some other aspects, are 'Inheirted Emotions', these are transferred to us genetically from our parents and grandparents, going back 7 generations. Have you ever felt a certain way and not know why you were or how you got there? No, provacation, but angry or fearful or abandoned and couldn't understand why. These happen often and influence what we do and what happens in our lives, unless we control it. In addition, we have our own 'Past Lives', these are experiences that we've carried over from life to life, just like talents and skills, some good, some not so much. With all of these contributors affecting our lives, we can very quickly get into exponential numbers of 'stuf' and not even realize, because we don't have the awareness and/or are limited to just the human understanding.

Energy is intelligent, but it can be directed thru 'Intention', there are different kinds of energies...positive, negative, demonic, misplaced, non-beneficial. The universe is full of it and it's what we can use to manifest anything that we can think, dream and believe...enough. Was it you or Jim Farmer that made a reference to Dr. David
Hawkins Trilogy...? Anyway, Power vs. Force is the 1st, good to start there and then on to the others.

Another factor would be time. We believe/know time as linear...today, tomorrow, next week. We have invented clocks, calendars, time zones and Daylight Savings Time. Because we believe in it so much and we invented it, it's true. Right? As such, we don't/won't entertain any other possibility. But, what if time was simultaneous? Could we experience our past, present and future all or almost, all at once. I think so, and as we develop more in the 4th and on into the 5th dimensions, we'll understand this even better. Right now, we do to a small degree, but we don't realize it...you have memories of past events while you read this, that's going back in time, while in the present...

More specificly, but I don't want to lose you in the Quantum Physics, we could experience pain and/or dysfunction from an injury past, present or future that would affect one or more of our 'body's' and to effectively treat it the particular 'template'(s) would have to be identified and addressed...Whew, that's a lot to take on, isn't it! Mainstream medicine won't do all that much effort. They don't care as much about the causes as they do the symptoms, because that is where your/our focus is, too. And, that's how they get paid. We want the pain to, STOP! But, it's also how we find ourselves in the viscious cycle of drug therapy and/or surgery. Folks, we are not drug deficient or requiring that much surgery, surgery creates more scar tissue. Organizing scar tissue to make it functional, healthy tissue would be a better answer.

JKB, I'd have to agree with you on the surgery option offered to you. There is never a guarantee that it will help or be the answer to your complaint and it really could make it worse. You could have new 'troubles' that you don't have now. I've seen it happen to my patient clients. And for the amount of money that they get for it, amazing anyone would be willing to accept those odds. I have little faith in any Chiropractic, the profession has changed to much. Osteopathic is much better, but even some of those aren't that skilled. The low-impact will keep you more stable and not aggravate the imbalances and mis-alignments, as much. As for stretching,...there are many schools of thought. Usually, there isn't anyway you could address hypertonic tissue and stretch it, all you could stretch would be tissues that are inhibited, which are already overstretched. If you are holding a stretch for 3 minutes, a minute like many 'expert trainers' will tell you, you are hurting yourself. Try just holding for 3 seconds and repeat again, again, until it has released, then stop. Look into Resistance Stretching by Bob Cooley. It's the type that Dara Torres and Michael Phelps, Olympic competition swimmers, have used to break their swim records by...  With emotions, oftentimes, we use muscular tension to keep them under control, so if you have trapped emotions within your body and you aren't willing to release them, once a muscle or compartment is stretched it will most often recoil and immediately retighten to not lose the hold on the emotion, it's just not safe to do. It's an illusion going on between the conscious and non/subconscious mind.

What to do...??? We must resolve the conflicts within on all levels/planes, we must forgive and let go of all 'old stuf', let go of all the inheirted material, so that we don't pass anymore on to our kids and mess with their lives, we must stop ruminating about what we 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' done, because when we do, when we think, re-think it, we add it back to the list. I've heard so many times, "But, I've been in therapy for years, I've talked, cried and screamed enough. There can't be anymore left." Most are in so much denial that they won't accept, just how much there is to let go of. So, it's more of what are they willing to 'settle' for, what are you willing to 'settle' for or anyone else? Do people ever get, complete? We get better, somethings don't affect us like it used too. I don't think, we ever are totally complete, because we are not static. I know that for my years now, I've been releasing emotions daily, hundreds of them at times, and still more come up. But, I manage them better. One still has to do the daily routines of exercise, wholesome foods and right thinking and actions. Working with all of this is kinda like 'squeezing water', you become better and the quality of my life is way better.

If you were already back home, here in Houston, I could help you, at least get you started. I'm not sure that in 6 months tho' everything is going to be like, today... There is a lady up in Oregon, Taya Countryman, 'Structural Relief Therapy' that, I think, is pretty good at Structural Integration and, I believe, she teaches some in your area, you might want to search for her. PM me and we could talk more on email, if you'd like...

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »

Oooh, oooh...I just thought of someone else, certainly might be a lot closer to you... His name is Dr. Hector Garcia, I've had him as a Teacher/Instructor and he's in the San Diego area, which should help distance-wise...

DR.  HECTOR E. GARCIA, D.C.
GARCIA HOLISTIC CENTER
5850 OBERLIN DR. Suite 320  San Diego, CA 92121
(858) 450-9221
http://www.garciainnergetics.com/aboutus.html