Author Topic: Maine earthquake  (Read 1964 times)

Chayim Jonah

• I am a junior at University of Baltimore
Maine earthquake
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
On Tuesday(10/16/12)  Maine had a 4.0 magnitude earthquake. The next morning's Chicago Tribune article Had a note about the earthquake being declassed from 4.6 to a 4.0

Am i wrong thinking that a 4.6 magnitude would be 6 times that of a 4.0? How did they just make a massive variance look like an instrumental error.

By 3:25 pm the article had been corrected. No more mention of a 4.6 just a sneaky little title.
You call that an earthquake? Maine has 4.0 Shaker, is fine.

That tells me... "It'z NOT fine!"

the author of the article may have been trying to clue in the readers. including quotes from witnesses. "We actually thought it was an explosion of some type." The article went on to quote another witness "It was the loudest bang you have ever heard in your life."

A couple hours later Oklahoma suffered a 4.6 earthquake. Those two earth quakes are the only earthquakes in America other than California in the last two weeks (IRIS Seismic Monitor).

The plates are gearing up for disaster... What now?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Maine earthquake
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
On Tuesday(10/16/12)  Maine had a 4.0 magnitude earthquake. The next morning's Chicago Tribune article Had a note about the earthquake being declassed from 4.6 to a 4.0

Am i wrong thinking that a 4.6 magnitude would be 6 times that of a 4.0? How did they just make a massive variance look like an instrumental error.

By 3:25 pm the article had been corrected. No more mention of a 4.6 just a sneaky little title.
You call that an earthquake? Maine has 4.0 Shaker, is fine.

That tells me... "It'z NOT fine!"

the author of the article may have been trying to clue in the readers. including quotes from witnesses. "We actually thought it was an explosion of some type." The article went on to quote another witness "It was the loudest bang you have ever heard in your life."

A couple hours later Oklahoma suffered a 4.6 earthquake. Those two earth quakes are the only earthquakes in America other than California in the last two weeks (IRIS Seismic Monitor).

The plates are gearing up for disaster... What now?

Chayim Jonah, thanks for starting this Topic. Yes that was surprising, hearing about the Maine quake.
- Yowbarb
=======================================================================
Latest Earthquakes Magnitude 2.5 or Greater in the United States and Adjacent Areas and
Magnitude 4.5 or Greater in the Rest of the World - Last 7 days

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:39:25 PM by Yowbarb »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »

10^4.6/10^4.0 = 10^0.6 = 3.98 times more energy released.

Those two earth quakes are the only earthquakes in America other than California in the last two weeks (IRIS Seismic Monitor).

Not true.  I report relevant earthquakes to a private mailing list every day, and there have been 'quakes in various states nearly every single day for many months.  For example, this is from my list for October 14:
*  Mag. 4.3 in Alaska.
*  Mag. 4.0 offshore of northern California.
*  Little shakers in Alaska, California, Arizona (USA), Baja California
(Mexico), and Virgin Islands.

And from my list for October 13:
*  Little shakers in Aleutian Islands, Alaska, Washington (state) California,
Georgia (state), and Virgin Islands.

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
A few have been hitting just north in Canada as well. Earlier there were some out on the Atlantic ridge.

Plantman40

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
Maine Earthquake Caught on tape!!! SOUNDED AND FELT LIKE AN EXPLOSION!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98RdIvkK3o&feature=em-uploademail-new