Author Topic: What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?  (Read 6790 times)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
I ran across this today while doing some research, and thought I should share.

"Some people believe that we are hurling towards physical disaster with our delicate electrical grid. Just how that disaster might occur is open for debate, but we need only look at major power outages over the last few years to see how precarious our grasp on electricity is. It isn’t a matter of “if” the lights will go out, but a matter of “when”."

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/what-will-you-do-when-the-lights-go-out_11302012
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
Will, that's funny the thought has crossed my mind several times lately, about the power going out.
We all need to have more discussion on this subject.
Thanks for starting this Topic.
- Yowbarb

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
Thank you for participating. Only a few unfortunate individuals/families probably know what it's like to go with out electricity. My brother is the only close to me who I know who has been through this. He lived in Louisiana when Katrina hit. My wife, kids, and myself had to take him food, gas, and money. His family survived without any casualties. My family on the other hand wouldn't do as well. I have two little ones (8 months and 4 years) which wouldn't handle it well especially if this were to happen during mid-summer or mid-winter. I pray this doesn't happen to any of you or my family, but everyone should have a backup plan during harsh seasons.
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
It is definitely not a matter of IF, but When.  I truly didn't think I would be needing the generator I had purchased (about 16 months ago) any time soon, and since then it has been a lifesaver, several times already!  Lots of folks were saying, "oh, what will you really need that for?", or generators are just too noisy, and don't make sense for the long-term", etc.  Well, I'm sure glad I heeded my own advice and inner voice on this one!!  First it was from Hurricane Irene, then the October storm of 2011, where we were without electric for almost a week, and just recently of course, Sandy.  Again without electric for almost a week.  Without that generator we would have lost large dollar amounts of food in two freezers and one refrigerator.  I know it's truly not the "best" solution for long-term needs (solar, etc is truly the best way to go, but wasn't within my budget), but it surely was a lifesaver for us!  The absolute best clearance sale deal from Walmart ever!!  I do, however, want to now focus on what would be a better long-term solution.  Now that I am back in the house that I own, it does at least become feasible to make a larger investment in something of that type.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
Thank you for participating. Only a few unfortunate individuals/families probably know what it's like to go with out electricity. My brother is the only close to me who I know who has been through this. He lived in Louisiana when Katrina hit. My wife, kids, and myself had to take him food, gas, and money. His family survived without any casualties. My family on the other hand wouldn't do as well. I have two little ones (8 months and 4 years) which wouldn't handle it well especially if this were to happen during mid-summer or mid-winter. I pray this doesn't happen to any of you or my family, but everyone should have a backup plan during harsh seasons.

Yes indeed we need that backup plan.
That's a good thing you were able to go drive to your bro and help him.
One thing I can think of is to have lots of battery - operated fans and battery - operated heaters.
Lanterns too. A huge stash of batteries is probably pretty expensive but necessary.
Anyone know of a foolproof way to store them without rain or flood water getting in...

They are probably pretty expense

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »
It is definitely not a matter of IF, but When.  I truly didn't think I would be needing the generator I had purchased (about 16 months ago) any time soon, and since then it has been a lifesaver, several times already!  Lots of folks were saying, "oh, what will you really need that for?", or generators are just too noisy, and don't make sense for the long-term", etc.  Well, I'm sure glad I heeded my own advice and inner voice on this one!!  First it was from Hurricane Irene, then the October storm of 2011, where we were without electric for almost a week, and just recently of course, Sandy.  Again without electric for almost a week.  Without that generator we would have lost large dollar amounts of food in two freezers and one refrigerator.  I know it's truly not the "best" solution for long-term needs (solar, etc is truly the best way to go, but wasn't within my budget), but it surely was a lifesaver for us!  The absolute best clearance sale deal from Walmart ever!!  I do, however, want to now focus on what would be a better long-term solution.  Now that I am back in the house that I own, it does at least become feasible to make a larger investment in something of that type.

What model did you get and about how much did it cost, I've been thinking about getting one myself. Currently I have a solar kit i bought from Harbor Freight which can charge batteries, laptops, cell phones, and provide enough power for two included lights. I still have to get a battery to store the charge for night time. I'd like to have both to be safe. I know your generator would power a whole lot more than my solar kit.. Thanks  for sharing...
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »

Yes indeed we need that backup plan.
That's a good thing you were able to go drive to your bro and help him.
One thing I can think of is to have lots of battery - operated fans and battery - operated heaters.
Lanterns too. A huge stash of batteries is probably pretty expensive but necessary.
Anyone know of a foolproof way to store them without rain or flood water getting in...

They are probably pretty expense

You definitely can't go wrong with a huge stash of batteries. You'll always find a use for them. We have a small stash which are rechargeable, and would use our solar kit to recharge them.
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Will,
Oh yeah!! A solar recharger kit!!! Definitely needs to be on the general survival list, if it isn't already.
Thanks, and back in awhile.
- Yowbarb

sineck

• Trusted Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »
now i like this subject,
a few weeks ago i finished all my purchases, i bought solar chargers for all my ipods, and lap, also bought some faraday cage bags, i guess they work fine, don't want to really put it to the test and put my laptop in the microwave, but i feel a little bit more prepared for such a thing, i did put one i pod with all sorts of stuff and put it away you know, just in case, to tell you the truth i didn't spend much money, i have books music and all that i could possibly need in that little thing, also got a spare battery and was shown how to change it just in case, i have been told by some friends that their  pod just ran out, they are little machines you know,
just something to note,
i have always felt that this is what will happen, many institutions are ready for such a collapse, GOV, ETC.
it will be everyone else that will be affected, when you look at the history of man and have an open mind to things you can see that this is not the first time that humankind has grown to excellence, i believe in my heart that this is not the first time we have had electricity, nor will it be the last, and yes the question is not   if but when this collapse will occur, PEACE
Life is the element of disoriented illusions. A character of self- being with a mind of self awareness. Grievance combined with happiness in a fortitude of harmony and socio communicative disagreements of proffered existence. SINECK,

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Sinec, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are comfortable with where your currently are. I agree the government is prepared for what ever is thrown their way. Our life is just another movie waiting to unfold. Hopefully you, myself, and the rest of the TH will be on the side that survives. The opportunity to be apart of a new start is very intriguing.
-Will

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
Well, for me, my plan has changed so many times over the last 3 years...

Nowdays, I have a Plan A, B, C, D, etc... 

If the lights go out but our vehicles still function, I am getting the hell out of San Diego, ASAP.  I have mapped out ways to get out while avoiding the major highways and it will take a little longer, but we stand a good chance of making it.  We could be packed and on the road in less than 2 hours, max, so...  either Texas or Utah for us.

If our vehicles go too though, we have no choice but to stay put.  It is funny I came across this today because I just had a chance to get 4 battery back-ups today that would give us power for a few days or so, and I turned them down...  I turned them down because we have solar lanterns, solar flashlights, solar powered radios, propane tanks, cold weather gear, 6 months of food for both of us, 60 days of water, water filters, etc...  If the power goes out why will I need to power up my computer, cell phone, etc?

The problem with that plan, and this may sound really strange to those of you who know me, is that I REALLY  don't want to kill another person if I don't just absolutely-freaking-have-to.  The reason I say that is because as of a few months ago, I would have preferred to not have to take a life, if possible, but if somebody left me no choice it really wouldn't have bothered me, honestly.  I would have thought, "Sucks to be you.  You picked the wrong house to jack with."

Now, I just don't know.  If we get stuck in the city it is a near certainty that I will have no choice but to bust out the weaponry at some point.  While I am very capable, I just really don't wish to take a life, even if they are trying to harm me and mine.  I guess I still will, but, damn...

As long as no one jacks with us, we will be just fine for quite a while, right where we are.

The bottom line for most of us is that plans are great, and the more, the better...  But, since when does anything go according to plan?  There is going to be some ad lib in all of our plans, no matter what, and you can't plan for everything folks...  Unless you have a renovated nuclear missile silo with 5 years of supplies in there, you would be set then...

You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »
JKB I have no doubt you know a lot about survival and about protecting yourself and your family. 
I can relate to your not wanting to take a life unless you really perceive there is no other way.
Having had some close calls in my life I have a pretty strong opinion that if someone has actually invaded your personal space, either on the street, near your car or coming right up to you in your home there is not much time for hesitation. I have watched quite a few TV dramas where the would - be attacker is approaching, but I mean they show him like 4 feet away with some quavering person with a gun. The deal is, the person with the gun has already let the attacker get way too close. From that close a distance an attacker could just reach out and knock that gun right out of the person's hand. I haven't had that situation personally, where I had a gun and someone was approaching me on my property. (I have carried a gun on the street and the would - be problem dudes seemed to know I was packing; no one messed with me.) That was just one time...  Well the point is if I had my self to protect, more importantly others in the home, and I yelled to "stop!!" and the person was continuing to approach, that person would be stopped in their tracks. Of course I would take everything into account, age, language barrier, intent etc. Also how well the person could actually see or hear me.

The ideas I posted in the Board, Surviving in place ar just some off - the -t op - of - my head inspiration, but partly some ideas from real life experience.  (Some close calls in the city, mugged once, etc. narrowly -escaped being grabbed off the street; had to bluff my way out of a couple situations, etc. etc. thankfully nothing serious ended up happening to me.)

The point is, being stuck in the city in a disaster means not if someone will bother you or try to take your possessions, your body, your life, mess with your kids grandkids etc. It is a matter of when. Hopefully we never will have that terrible scenario we have all been imagining.

Anyway I posted some ideas how to secure your place in the city even if a rental house. If an all - out emergency I doubt the landlord will be coming around to complain how you barricaded the place, etc. so I posted a lot of ideas. Will try to come back and post the link. By the way I feel the stand your ground law applies on your property, in your vehicle if someone is approaching and definitely a danger with a gun. Also (and this is the gray area) if the person is definitely attacking you. If there has been an opportunity to go away, and if the person is going the other direction, or you are just not sure that is not the time to be all vigilante and shoot into cars or pursue someone on foot because they look "suspicious" to you to the point where there is an altercation and then you shoot him dead. To me that is an abuse of the law. My opinion is, though if someone was putting their hand, foot, head into my window or door and I yelled "stop, don't come in here!" and they did not stop, I would blow them to kingdom come.
Sorry folks if this sounds harsh or if I am borrowing trouble. I have been fortunate but I have had close calls. At the same time I am really against those actions like the neighborhood watch guy who followed a teenager for three blocks on a dark rainy night, got out of the car and approached him, when the police told him not to. They got into an altercation and the guy following him had a gun. We will never know but it seems to me the guy he was pursuing was afraid for his own life. He was a minor (about 16) and was heading for his father's fiance's home, where his father was at the time. There was no gun or weapon in his hand he had a cell phone and he had a soda, and had called his girlfriend and told her, "someone is following me!. "(You see how this can backfire trying to be too vigilant of a crime stopper?) Then more recently someone on the street felt threatened and thought the teenagers had a gun and fired into the car, killing one. Well they didn't find a gun and one young teen is dead. I am more in favor of people just being on their property and taking  stand there if necessary...
Well getting back to if the lights go out, trying to sort out friend from foe in the dark, whether on the street or in your home could be a challenge... I would not want to blow away some half frozen starving person just entering a dark home, trying to survive the night... so the intention of the person is something to really try and perceive...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:56:22 AM by Yowbarb »

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
No Barb, you're right.  I would still do it and there would be no hesitation, I just really don't want to.  I would be that guy that is cussing out a cadaver, "Why did you make me do that?  Why?  You dumb bastard!  I didn't want to kill you!"

As for the fortification of your home...  got it in spades.  I acquired a large amount of sandbags a few weeks ago and there are dozens of spools of razor wire right behind where I work that I have had my eye on for awhile now.  I haven't entirely worked out in my mind exactly how I am going to employ these assets but, rest assured, getting into my home will not be pleasant.  It is just the getting out part that I am still thinking about...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
No Barb, you're right.  I would still do it and there would be no hesitation, I just really don't want to.  I would be that guy that is cussing out a cadaver, "Why did you make me do that?  Why?  You dumb bastard!  I didn't want to kill you!"

As for the fortification of your home...  got it in spades.  I acquired a large amount of sandbags a few weeks ago and there are dozens of spools of razor wire right behind where I work that I have had my eye on for awhile now.  I haven't entirely worked out in my mind exactly how I am going to employ these assets but, rest assured, getting into my home will not be pleasant.  It is just the getting out part that I am still thinking about...

JKB I figured U had it together! Post your ideas and how you fortified your place!
I understand how you feel.  (A real human being!)  :)
Hopefully we will never have to find out how that feels....
Gotta run more food holiday shopping awaits...
regardless...  ;)

planetxseeker

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:48 AM »
Studies done five years ago estimated we need to spend a trillion dollars on the electrical grid to get it updated. I was so mad that very little of the stimulus in 09 went to fixing this problem. There is now technology offered in Japan that we aren't equipped to use in this country, our electrical grid is so out of date.

With the earth's magnetosphere getting weaker and weaker, plus the added nitrogen in our oceans, super storms will become the norm. Throw in a random CME  or asteroid hitting us directly, we are primed for a major disaster.

As for prepping, I spend half my time telling myself I'm becoming obsessive about it and the other half the time telling myself I'm no where near ready. I'd like to win the lottery so I can adequately prepare lol.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
     "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
     "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
     "That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.