Author Topic: What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?  (Read 6789 times)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Re: What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Studies done five years ago estimated we need to spend a trillion dollars on the electrical grid to get it updated. I was so mad that very little of the stimulus in 09 went to fixing this problem. There is now technology offered in Japan that we aren't equipped to use in this country, our electrical grid is so out of date.

With the earth's magnetosphere getting weaker and weaker, plus the added nitrogen in our oceans, super storms will become the norm. Throw in a random CME  or asteroid hitting us directly, we are primed for a major disaster.

As for prepping, I spend half my time telling myself I'm becoming obsessive about it and the other half the time telling myself I'm no where near ready. I'd like to win the lottery so I can adequately prepare lol.

PXS,

You sound exactly like I did about 3 years ago!!!  That is crazy.  My first reaction was, screw it, why even try?  I originally planned on just pulling up a lawn chair and a six pack and watching the big show.

Slowly, I started thinking about actually trying to get through all of this and began to gather some things.  But, I was very much like you are now as I was like, "Damn, this is almost pointless as I will never get everything that I need."  I started playing the lottery every single week.  I almost felt preordained to win the lottery as I would use it all to save my friends and family.  Ha Ha Ha. Yeah, that didn't happen.

Once I was able to get my wife on board things really started to take off for us.  There is no such thing as having too much.  I will never pass up an opportunity to acquire something we need, but really, it has gotten to the point where I'm going to have to buy a trailer if we keep prepping.

Don't worry about becoming too obsessive or people making fun of you for being a "prepper."  Screw them.  If it isn't PX then it is going to be a CME like you say, or some other disaster.  Sooner or later we are going to need all of this trash and most of the world is going to be caught entirely off guard.

A couple of months ago, my whole neighborhood lost power for a grand total of three hours.  Three hours my friend...  My wife and I stood on the balcony watching all of these fools scrambling around to find a flashlight.  It was a tragic comedy.  These people struggled to make it through three hours of darkness.  What do you think they are going to do when something like you are prepping for goes down?  It is going to get ugly, unfortunately.   

So, just keep doing what you are doing and you will get where you want to be.  Obviously, we still have time...  Peace, JKB
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
found this link on the Drudgereport page.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/massive-solar-flare-narrowly-misses-earth-emp-disaster-barely-avoided/article/2533727

It appears as though Earth dodged the bullet from a Sun caused EMP-type event two weeks ago.
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/massive-solar-flare-narrowly-misses-earth-emp-disaster-barely-avoided/article/2533727

It appears as though Earth dodged the bullet from a Sun caused EMP-type event two weeks ago.

Wow Seeker, It sure does!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
Enlightenme! It is so good to see you on here again!  ;D
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
 ;D ;) Great to be back Barb, thanks!  I sure had been missing you all!!

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
I wonder with the sun about to flip poles if it will affect us any?
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »
I wonder with the sun about to flip poles if it will affect us any?

I was wondering about that myself!  "They" sure make it sound like it's not going to be any big deal, it happens every so many years, etc.  But then again, I don't go much by what "they" say!  ;D

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
I think it is already affecting us...  The Sun is getting hotter and for once, I somewhat applaud TPTB for trying to protect their own arses by deploying the chemtrails...  Neither is a good thing and they clearly do not care about us, but, if we happen to get protected in the course of "them" ensuring their own survival, then so be it...

I'm not saying that I like it or agree with it, but it seems to be protecting us from getting scorced everytime we step out the door.  I am probably wrong on this...

planetxseeker

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:41 AM »

I was blown away by the vagueness of detail on the threat while the former head of the CIA is talking about the government taking over the electrical grid.  The government is taking over everything slowly but surely under the guise of "threats" we never see, are simply told that exist.

I am not saying that an EMP blast from the sun can't happen - it does a lot. But why is this a concern now and wasn't after the 89 Canadian event?

I suspect this is a misdirection story. The real story is the government is looking at taking over the electrical grid. We have survived CMEs, the cold war, world wars, terrorists attacks, etc for the entire time the electrical grid has been in operation. So the vague reference to an CME event "in the last few months" but no date, details, etc, leads me to believe this is a cover story.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
     "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
     "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
     "That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

Dania22

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
When the lights go out huh? What I'm gonna do? In as few words as possible? Protect my family by ANY means necessary...of course.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

I was blown away by the vagueness of detail on the threat while the former head of the CIA is talking about the government taking over the electrical grid.  The government is taking over everything slowly but surely under the guise of "threats" we never see, are simply told that exist.

I am not saying that an EMP blast from the sun can't happen - it does a lot. But why is this a concern now and wasn't after the 89 Canadian event?

I suspect this is a misdirection story. The real story is the government is looking at taking over the electrical grid. We have survived CMEs, the cold war, world wars, terrorists attacks, etc for the entire time the electrical grid has been in operation. So the vague reference to an CME event "in the last few months" but no date, details, etc, leads me to believe this is a cover story.

Lot of that going on nowdays PX Seeker...  Supposedly three metropolitan areas are doing electrical grid loss preparation drills this week.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
I find it curious that even though various authorities are warning about us losing our grid, to the point of saying, "it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when," and still it appears our government seems to pointedly ignore the problem.

I often think of what life will be like after the lights go out, we have it so soft here in the US, with all the modern conveniences we take for granted, nice hot showers at the turn of a handle, zapping food in the microwave, using our remotes to change the channels on the television, and of course our addictions to cell phones and laptops. 

Most of us will be helpless without electricity.  We live in cities, and are heavily invested in our power grids.  It is going to be really horrible for those who have no plan in place.

Most will believe that it will be only a matter of days or a week at most before the lights come back on.  And with no access to our electronic gadgets to hear what the PTB is  doing about it, they will waste precious time in formulating a plan for survival.

I especially feel sad for the parents of young children, those in diapers and on baby formula.  What will they do when they can no longer get to the store to purchase these necessary items.  And how heartbreaking to hear your children crying that they are hungry and you no longer have food and there is none to be purchased at the store, as the shelves are empty.

But here in the US, we are so spoiled as a society, we have become lazy and complacent and such things as the possibility of losing our grid seems very remote, something to think about later on.  Right now other things take precedence.

I see this in my own family.  My daughter and son in law here in Reno are aware that this will happen, but they say that they have more pressing things to worry about right now than preparing for something that may never happen.

What is a mother to do? I try to formulate a plan, and to store enough food and water to help us until we can get to our safe place, if possible, otherwise, our knowledge of the coming events is just that, knowledge with no action behind it.

I hope and pray that all who are reading this thread will resolve today to start implementing a plan for dealing with the coming disasters. 

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
I hope and pray that all who are reading this thread will resolve today to start implementing a plan for dealing with the coming disasters.

Ditto friend.  I had a plan when we were still in Southern California but it had some obvious holes in it both then and now.  It was, the best plan I could formulate.  I wonder if it would have worked and am glad I didn't have to find out.  Things are much different now being in Texas and I'm comfortable with our plan, preparations, escape route, final bug out location, etc. and I know we could make it for years if need be.

Most are not as fortunate and I know this and wish it were different. 

I have been to Vegas several times but never to Reno.  I would imagine it would be some mountainous, cold-weather terrain.  I have friends in Idaho who are preppers and they are tickled pink with their mountain compound.

I don't know where I am going with this... 

One of my original plans, and is still a back-up plan, would be to make it to the Guadalupe National Forrest in west Texas and play it by ear from there.  We all live in different parts of the country and terrain will dictate.  Some options are better than others and it is what it is.  I think people on both coasts of the US are in for a rougher ride than the Midwest and South.

I think that when the lights go out it is going to be a lot longer than a week, and the city is the last place you want to be.  My target would be a nearby park or a National Forrest.  Preferrably one you can get to without having to get on a major freeway...

We have all posted and discussed on this ad infinitum...  At a minimum, food, water, shelter, weapons and ammo, cold weather gear.  More is better but a good supply of the bare minimum is more than most other people will have.

I know what you mean, it sucks knowing that the majority of humanity will be totally unprepared and I hope people listen and take action as well.  Unfortunately, most will not.  And as sad as it is, it is what it is....

innova

• Health Glimpses
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
Wind up flashlights with long lasting  LED light, rechargeable, no battery replacement,  am/fm radio, siren, available for around 20 bucks, a good start.

Why haven't manufacturers come up with similar concepts for phones and other devices?  Also, solar strips for phones, etc.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
Why haven't manufacturers come up with similar concepts for phones and other devices?  Also, solar strips for phones, etc.

They require more infrastructure to be operational in order to work.
For radio: just one AM emergency station per region; or none for HAM, walkie-talkie, etc. service.