Author Topic: For the Aftertimes: Simple old recipes which use your home - grown foods  (Read 1692 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
This an old recipe called tomato gravy.  ;D
This recipe uses tomatoes and milk, mainly. I suppose it could be preserved milk and canned tomatoes but if that is all gone, hopefully you will already be growing tomatoes and owning a dairy cow. If you don't have any of that, you might be trading goods to get tomatoes and milk.  :) Plenty of well preserved baking mix, will be a budget stretcher and fill some empty stomachs in the future times.
Tomato gravy is served on toast, with biscuits, on grits, meatloaf, etc.
- Well it sounds good. I will be leaving out the bacon fat...
- Yowbarb

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Appalachian-Livin/218023971653532

Appalachian Livin'

December 23, 2012.

Tomato Gravy

Ingredients:
 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, with liquid (about 3 medium)
 1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion
 1 tablespoon of finely chopped green bell pepper
 1 cup of chicken broth
 1/2 cup of butter or bacon fat
 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
 1 to 2 cups of milk
 Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
 Commercial or homemade biscuits
 Instructions

Peel, seed and dice the tomatoes, reserving the juices. In a small pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil; add the tomatoes and juices, onion and green pepper, and let simmer while you prepare the roux.

In a separate skillet, heat the butter or bacon fat over medium heat; stir in the flour. Cook and stir over medium, stirring constantly, until roux reaches a light beige color. Quickly stir in the broth and tomato mixture, adding slowly, but continuously, until fully incorporated. Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until nicely thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve over hot biscuits, with meatloaf, over rice, or spooned on grits alongside some fried catfish and with some hushpuppies on the side.

Note: Can substitute 1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed/diced tomatoes, undrained, or whole tomatoes, undrained, then chopped. Use a pair of kitchen shears to chop the tomatoes up right in the can. Double tomatoes if you prefer. Can also be made without the onion and bell pepper if desired.
...........................................................................................
Info on this type of gravy is also in Deep South Dish site,
Yowbarb

Endtimesgal_2012

That looks pretty yummy!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
 ;D

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: For the Aftertimes: Simple old recipes which use your home - grown foods
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
I looked for a good place to post this warning so thought maybe it is here.

Listen up everybody who shops at farmers' markets.  My friend who sells at a farmers' market in my state of MO informed me of a recent incident that for now is not being dealt with.  My friend is on the governing board of the market, so something will be in the works eventually to deal with this "problem".

Two weeks ago friend said that a man came to the market and signed on to sell his stuff that he grew out himself.  He followed the guidelines and was quite excited to tell the board members he is offering GM corn.  The board could not legally keep him out, as their by laws, as of now, do not deal with the GM issue.  So he was allowed to set up and proceeded to sell out his entire 60 dozen ears of GM corn.

Did he tell the consumers/customers that his corn is GM?  Absolutely not!  My friend is concerned, and rightly so, especially for the rights of the innocent shoppers who go to farmers' markets, often for the very purpose of avoiding GM foods!

Then we talked about this to another friend who told us that in the farmers' market in Columbia, MO, they have already encountered and dealt with this.  At that farmers' market, the vendors are required to post a notice (certain color, etc.) about their crops:  organic, conventional, GM.  And the notice must  be visible to the customer.  Problem solved it appears.  (I plan to inform friend asap about how Columbia has dealt with this problem.)

So, to those of you who shop at farmers' markets:  ceaseless awareness is the order of the day. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: For the Aftertimes: Simple old recipes which use your home - grown foods
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 05:46:15 AM »
ilinda - wow...I am glad you posted this... that is just wrong for GM foods to be sold at these kinds of markets...