Author Topic: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips  (Read 13048 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
This Topic is for miscellaneous info that could help a person or family or survival group.
Some of the tips may involve technology that might not be present in the Aftertime. Meanwhile for now the tip will help.
Please post here your ideas on security, safety....it could just be ideas that pop into your head, or tried and true products
or methods for security and safety.

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
Here's one my sis - in - law just sent me:

Subject: What to take to bed with you - not a joke

What to take to bed with you - not a joke
Pretty neat idea. Never thought of it before.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it.
It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain....

It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around.

After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that.

And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic.

Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.   

Sent to me,

Yowbarb

Lori

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »
As soon as I can I'm also getting a handy dandy wooden or metal base ball bat. I can't afford a gun right now, but will be getting a rifle and handgun ASAP.  The other day the house next door to me was robbed.  In Broad daylight.  I happen to be home by myself.  If they had decided to target my house, I had nothing accept for a heavy skillet and kitchen knives of which to defend myself. ( I know they work too.) But I needed something stronger.  I do have some good body weight, maybe I can just jump on the guy and crush him.  ;D :P

I also have 3 small yippers (Terriers)who defend this house until they are worn out. I think there barking would simply drive the would be bad guys out because their ears will be ringing from the yaps,

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:42:11 AM by Lori »

Ryan

• Members
  • Trusted Member
  • What matters most is how you see yourself
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
Owning a dog is the best robbery prevention and security asset out there. Its been proven over and over again that burglars are much more fearful of a dog's bark than a security system's alarm. It'll take a while for cops to get to the location when the alarm goes off but it only takes seconds for the dog lol. Plus the police have to go by rules for physical contact whereas with dogs you dunno what they're gonna do to the bad guy....

Dogs are the best thing to have for so many reasons, and you can add this one to the list!
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending" - Maria Robinson

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »
This Topic is for miscellaneous info that could help a person or family or survival group.
Some of the tips may involve technology that might not be present in the Aftertime. Meanwhile for now the tip will help.
Please post here your ideas on security, safety....it could just be ideas that pop into your head, or tried and true products
or methods for security and safety. Yowbarb
LINK:
Secret Knock Detecting Lock

Came across this while surfing the net. A great idea. I have no idea how to build it. There is another website mentioned and
the device is either For Sale, or the website will give building instructions. Don't know. 8)
The good part about it is that whoever leaves the shelter does not need to take a KEY, which could be lost or stolen.
My other thought on this is that the device should be able to be modified for Voice.
And YES, there are doorlocks out there that can be installed that have Keypads on them. I think most of them allow
a Four number PIN number to unlock the lock. Well, if i have all the time in the world; as a Burglar or someone that simply
wants to gain entrance, I would sit there all day punching in numbers starting at 0000. Eventually I would get the right
number to open the door. A coded knock on the door would take forever. Personally I would prefer voice activated with
the right password.....
And this just occurred to me. I do not know the power or voltage output of the 'Crankup Battery Radios' but an extra
one that could be cannibalized could be used for powering other small devices. Modifications of the voltage/milliamp output may
have to be done to power other stuff or to charge small batteries .... David

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:27:34 AM by ASEEKERTOO »
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

noproblemo2

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
I also have a Large Shephard in the front yard and 2 Lab-Pit mixes in the back, nothing gets too close without us knowing in advance here !!!

Steve_T

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
Although I don't have an alarm (and so a panic button to push) on my work van, I do keep an extra key in a magnetic stash box underneath in an opening in the frame. I have a bug-out pack in there at all times, so if there's a night time tornado or a fire or some other catastrophic-something all I have to do is get out of the house and to the van. I have extra clothes, a couple days' worth of food, shelter and a couple weapons for self-defense in it.

It doesn't take much to prepare a pack with stuff you need in a pinch. I've told several of my friends and family-members about this idea, and although they all ultimately agree it's a good idea, none of them have acted on it as far as I know.

Oh, and I have a dog too. ;)

augonit

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
Does anyone know how to protect your stuff if you don't have a gun or dog?  Something besides your car alarm?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Does anyone know how to protect your stuff if you don't have a gun or dog?  Something besides your car alarm?

I cannot imagine not having a gun... will have to give that some thought.
I have read here somewhere that knives are a quiet accurate and deadly way to defend yourself.
A person would have to go outside and practice the art somewhere...
It is a good idea to have sticks around you can whack someone with them keep them farther away from your space and perhaps buy some time. At that point hopefully some security guard - type group member with an actual weapon will be nearby...
Here are some ideas for women:
Mace
pepper spray
etc.

Anything to be used needs to be kept close. Otherwise no use. Including loaded guns.
Just put them out of reach of kids.

I had a pepper spray on a decorative rope chain my father gave me. I hung it around my neck when I came home at night on my bicycle. It was pitch dark and even though not such a bad area - it was a vulnerable situation and I was alone.  So I kept it around my neck with the cap off. If anyone had jumped me he would have got it in the face right away.
When I was alone with my kids for years we always had some sticks in each room. The kids were instructed to grab that stick and use it. We had them by the front and back door, too.
Never had to use them but in the middle of the night once I heard voices right outside my house. I am talking two feet away. I tend to be vigilant and wake up when something is wrong. I stayed up for awhile turned on the living room light and the voices went away.
If the crossover and the aftertime happens as many of us believe it will be survival of the fittest for awhile...
Really dumb to be unarmed.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
"Does anyone know how to protect your stuff if you don't have a gun or dog?"

There are messages in this forum about crossbows and bows-and-arrows.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:59:36 PM by Jimfarmer »

Bill

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Tear gas, a friend of mine bought these really neat tear gas booby traps, they have a trip wire on them when  its pulled they flip up into the air spinning as they release their gas contents. Very effective but is used by them when they a gone for a couple of days. next time I talk to him I will get the name of mfg and also the source.

Steve_T

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »
Well we have no other place to go as of now if we lose the house so I'm just working on fortifying it.

Provisions are coming along slowly. I'm hoping to have at least 6 months' worth in the next month or so. Finances are hampering me BIGTIME. I have 4 to take care of including me. It's tough, with work as slow as it is.
Steve, this is a very good start, many are in the same finacial situation as you, my suggestion would be lots of rice and beans, tuna, etc.... as you can. There is only so much we can do, but fortyifying your home is a must for many, like you, that is our route here due to DH's health issues, so am doing the best I can also.

I just recently got a buddy on board with our way of thinking. He's saving provisions now, and with a vengeance it seems. He's a great person to have in an after-time-scenario too. He's extremely intelligent and has a great mechanical-aptitude like myself. We've already gone over some great ideas for booby traps and other means of security to help the few fend off the many. But most importantly, he lives on a 300-acre+ farm, with a patch of woods on his property and a big state-park very near by. We're going to start digging an underground shelter under his house as soon as we can and we've already started gathering raw/building materials for fortifications and improvisions. I have a couple ideas for melting down and reforming plastics into weapons or parts for booby traps, etc. It's really the best news along these lines that I've had in months.

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Steve t, It may go w/o saying but just be sure that you both store in water tight containers and as best you can seal out the moisture. It will find a way in so be prepaired to pump. Good luck to all{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
1 lab and 1 collie
machete hid in master bedroom for the wife I get the shotgun.
plan on how to delay them till weapons in hand.

Some thing to look into for the day after, some solar security lights. You may be able to use them to light the bunker or post in trees around your perimeter to warn you when someone comes a calling.

Also saw a solar powered electric fence device at Harbor Freight Tools yesterday. (said it could power up to 5 miles of fence) don't know how strong it is but could be used to contain livestock.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
I had posted most of these ideas in other Topics, about domes, survival shelters - anyway it will
be important to get some kind of "security" set up, soon after getting your survival land site.
The idea I had posted was, find a married couple or a couple of guys who are willing to live on the land and
help out. Anyone helping would have a stake in the success of everything, since they would be included in
the survival group and able to take shelter there.
Preferably more than two people  - about half dozen would be a good start. They could be keeping out unwanted visitors, fielding unnecessary questions
or interference from locals, keeping in a line of communication to the
property owner who is likely still trying to work and raise more money for supplies, and who is not at the site, yet. This is the first thing:  To have a presence there at the site, while at the same time doing the prep work for the securing of the supplies, the building of the shelter. They could set in a fence or some trees to shield the projects from prying eyes -at least to some degree. Ideally, a portion of it would be fenced off with a gated entry in from the road a - ways.
The small crew would receive supplies or bring them in from nearest big town, etc. - at owners request, also be there when a crew arrives to build a dome or set a shelter down into the ground.
If earth changes start accelerating there may be people flocking to the hills and someone needs
to be there...
Also once the ___really hits the fan you will already have a crew there keeping order, helping people who are arriving with pets, supplies and all and getting into the shelter.
The main idea is, put the security there asap after purchasing the land.
Also I feel it is important to have a quartermaster watch system in place continuously, once the group is up from underground. Let's say things settle down and the group is living above ground part of the time, there needs to be a patrol - or at least a man with a pair of binoculars and a gun, topside. There should be an area on top of the shelter or dome not easily accessible to outsiders, where the security can be posted .
Bottom line there needs to be some kind of underground hidden spot for supplies coming in, long before any shelter is built. Important to keep people away and safeguard those supplies. Any devices for the protection of the group need to be well protected, as well.
My main concept: When passers by go by your survival land, it would be good if this is all they see, and your shelter and camps are set in far from the road. See sample pic, below,
Yowbarb